PDA

View Full Version : REQ: Blender 2.65 startup error

SLiTHER
12-13-2012, 11:27 PM
Hi Guys

Sorry if this was covered before, I did a search on google and all blender forums, didn't find a solution to this problem.

I have blender 2.64 and all previews versions working fine, when upgrading to 2.65 the application crashes with "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error"

I followed all suggestions, installed every MSVCRuntime Library known to man. from 2008 to 2012, still the same error. I don't have any other language installed on the device, it's default english. On mac it runs fine, on Linux it runs fine, except on Windows 8.

The error message doesn't give much information on the reason the crash is happening, beside "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way"

The console is reporting the following error: Fatal Python error: Failed to initialise Windows random API <CryptoGen>

Can anyone please shed some light why is this happening and how to solve it?

Thanks in advance

Cheers,

CorsairX
12-14-2012, 07:22 AM
Could you post a picture of the actual error dialog and a shot from the relevant event in the log file? Control Panel\\Administrative Tools\Event Viewer > Windows logs, either in the Application or System log, depending on where the error is occurring

SLiTHER
12-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Hi CrosairX

I'm attaching the error messages screenshots.

Thanks for your help

Cheers,

CorsairX
12-15-2012, 08:14 AM
There might be something wrong with the version of Python being bundled with Blender 2.65 - download and install a standalone version of Python 3.3 (NOT 2.7) from http://www.python.org/download/

You may have to reboot after installing Python 3.3 before Blender will find it.

N.B. If you installed a 32-bit version of Blender you will need the 32-bit version of Python - and if you installed the 64-bit version of Blender, the 64-bit version of Python.

SLiTHER
12-15-2012, 09:26 AM
Hi CrosairX

I tried this solution before posting, didn't work our. Blender looks at the bundled version first and that's when it crashes. If I replace the bundled version with 3.3 or any other version Blender fails to start and complains the version bundled is wrong.

Cheers,

CorsairX
12-15-2012, 09:39 AM
As far as I'm aware, Blender shouldn't be requiring the Crypto library - have you reset Blender prefs to factor (clearing any add-ons) by deleting the start blend under Users\$user\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\ ?

CorsairX
12-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Also, to force Blender to use the system Python install; you will need to navigate to the Blender install dir (in my case: C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.65) and move or rename the python directory; Blender will then fall back to system. Blender will complain that it expects to have the bundled version.

SLiTHER
12-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Hi CrosairX

Surprisingly I don't have a Blender folder in the AppData, This is a formatted windows with barely anything on it. I downloaded Blender 2.64 and tested it's working but nothing was saved in the AppData.

Furthermore I tried renaming the python folder after installing another python version. Blender did complain but it wouldn't restart and crashed!

I have never had such a problem, not with any Blender version, why is this happening with this specific version is beyond my understanding! I can't believe no one else is having such a problem as well with Windows 8!

Cheers,

CorsairX
12-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Windows 8? Hmmm. What version of 8 and are you using the installer or zip file download of 2.65? 32- or 64-bit?

SLiTHER
12-15-2012, 10:31 PM
Windows 8 Pro, I've tried both installer and ZIP file!

SLiTHER
12-16-2012, 11:52 AM
So I was able to start Blender 2.65, but only in 32 bit. For some reason the 64 bit doesn't work, strange!

I found the problem when I installed Messiah Studio 64bit today, the 64bit didn't allow me to use the windows open or save command, which means MFC isn't functioning properly. The 32bit version is working fine. Furthermore the 64bit version almost broke windows8, after installing it windows 8 became extremely slow. Had to do a restore point, and luckily Windows 8 recognized Messiah's installation as a starting point. Installing MVC++ 2005 till 2010 didn't help either.

I do have Windows 8 64bit, Lightwave 64bit is working fine. Which leaves only Blender and Messiah 64 bit.

So now the 32bit version works, I can live with that, I'm doing games anyways, don't need the extra power.

Cheers,

CorsairX
12-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Hi,
Glad to hear 32-bit works - apologies for disappearing; we had an Win8 64-bit machine coming in at work and I'm going to test on that to see if I can replicate the issue.

Having said that, how old is your Windows install? It's starting to sound like you have an issue at the OS level so it might be worth thinking about reinstalling from scratch. It's like using a sledge-hammer to crack a walnut but in the absence of any other option... !

SLiTHER
12-17-2012, 10:33 PM
No worries mate, thanks for your help.

My Windows 8 is two weeks old :) I upgraded from 7, but with a fresh install. Not sure what's happening with these Apps, I'm pretty sure those apps are using an obsolete version of MFC which is causing those errors. I'm sure someone will have the same problem soon, just going to wait and sit tight.

Cheers,

SLiTHER
12-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Hi CrosairX

I think I found what the problem is, it looks like Apple bootcamp drivers are causing incompatibility problems with 64bit programs. I've tested on several computers running Bootcamp and it looks that's where the problem lies.

Cheers,

CorsairX
12-21-2012, 12:22 AM
Now that's interesting - I was unable to replicate the problem on a standard Windows box running Win 8 but we've had issues recently with new macs boot-camped with Windows 7. If you right-click on the install executable for the drivers and run "Troubleshoot compatibility", does that help?

CGTalk Moderation
12-21-2012, 12:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.