PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Tablet Help - What to buy?

DoodleRat
12-13-2012, 09:14 AM
Hello folks,

I am looking to buy a graphics tablet for my boyfriend for Christmas and I need some help.

He does a lot of comic drawing using markers etc but wants to progress to a graphics tablet. He's never used one before (to my knowledge anyway) and I'm wondering if this makes a difference to the model I should get?
I have looked online at what is available and I'm completely out of my depth. I really don't know what to buy. I have about 300 to spend on one and I want to get the best possible product for my money. I have seen them for 40-1400. Is 300 a realistic amount to spend on one or would it be better to wait and save some more? I don't want to spend that amount of money on something just because I have it available and find out that the product isn't really worth it.

Are there certain things that I should be avoiding?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
DoodleRat.

tswalk
12-19-2012, 03:16 AM
i think most people would agree, that Wacom is the standard, so you should be looking at one of those.

now, i can say from experience.. that if he has never used a pen/tablet before, it is a hard transition to go from... seeing what you draw while you draw it, to watching it draw while not watching you draw.

it know that sounds.. odd. but think for a sec. the eye, hand coordination that a traditional artist is used to is completely broken when they make this transition.

it can be frustrating.

it sucks.

and... you get use to it. and better, but over time.

so, making a huge investment up front with this.. IMO, is not the best idea.

start with something simple.. like the bamboo tablet, and he/she can work their way up as time goes on.

that's the best advice i can give you.

tswalk
12-19-2012, 03:22 AM
oh and btw, coming from a guy (edit)...

you could buy him a stick, and he'll be happy.

ThE_JacO
12-19-2012, 04:58 AM
As it sounds like you want some simple, straight forward help and not more info and confusion:

Wacom Intuous 5, or even the 4 if he doesn't care for touch (which many people don't) in medium size.

There simply isn't a better consumer brand than Wacom (practically a monopoly), and intuous is their premiere non-screen line.

CKPinson
12-19-2012, 12:53 PM
In the land of tablets more money=better tablet so spend what you are comfortable with. The more you spend the happier he will be but I am sure he will be ecstatic with an Intuos 5 med or Intuos 4 med as stated by Jaco.

I still use a 3 and was going to go for the 5 but have decided to save that money and go for the gusto, a Cintiq which run from 1,000 US - 4,000 US depending on model. A Cintiq would probably fill him with overwhelming joy but at the same time costs a whole lot but as you can see- an Intuos 5 med will net you a lil under a 1/2 of a cintiq so depending on your income there you have it.

If he's never used a tablet then the more expensive Cintiq IMO (just used my first the other day) will have a smaller learning curve because you're drawing directly on the screen like you would a paper; whereas, the intuos you are drawing on the tablet and looking at a monitor so there is that seperation- took me prob a month to get used to, some less and some ppl never do.

PS avoid bamboo- low end Wacom. And avoid other brands- WACOM has this market by the ca hones.

CGTalk Moderation
12-19-2012, 12:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.