PDA

View Full Version : SoftContact deformer

Ulven
12-12-2012, 11:37 PM
SoftContact deformer for messiah:studio based loosely on the Pixar paper 'Acting with contact', mixed with a few of our own tricks for speed and quality. Available now at http://www.usefulslug.com/2012/12/soft-contact-deformer/
Luf3UrxeESY

erikals
12-13-2012, 07:46 PM
i like it...! :)

DePaint
12-13-2012, 09:43 PM
That looks like a pretty cool/useful plugin.

I didn't realize people still use Messiah:Studio ?

I thought it was a dead software by now...

Ulven
12-13-2012, 11:12 PM
Cheers! Yeah, it has been small for a long time and doesn't have a marketing budget so it's easy to consider it a bit dead. It's still doing pretty much exactly what it always did though, good animation workhorse. I've been involved in two games and a short film with it this year for example. Probably still more suitable for small/medium businesses than the bigger ones. Cheap, powerful, and good tech.

fahr
12-14-2012, 03:05 AM
Looks like an awesome little feature!

How much production testing has this seen?

Ulven
12-17-2012, 01:59 AM
I made the first version of the plugin about two years ago, and have used it on smaller and bigger things since then in the company I was in and in my own work. The 'use clever tricks' checkbox is one of the things that came from using it and noting that the approach suggested in the original paper could be improved in speed (on high density meshes) and smoothness (especially on low density meshes).
Should be stable and fine. Any problems and I'm usually only an email or forum post away.

refract
12-18-2012, 06:21 AM
Very cool stuff. Very cool. Keep up the great work. Any options to port any plugins to Maya or Max?

EightBit
12-24-2012, 03:58 AM
Nice!
I would've guessed that PM was gone also.
Glad to see it isn't.

CGTalk Moderation
12-24-2012, 03:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.