PDA

View Full Version : neck rigging

StylizedReality
12-09-2003, 04:43 AM
is there a way to setup the neck of my T. rex so that I don't have to position him joint by joint or cv by cv? for instance, can I just place something like a cube at the top of the neck, move that and the rest moves accordingly? any help would be much appreciated

Doogie
12-09-2003, 05:00 AM
Well, you can do it the same as most backs are done. You can either have three backs in a row (neck, back, tail)... or, i was thinking, you could put the root node at the end of the tail and have one, long splineIK going from head to tail, cluster, and parent to ctrl boxes (as normal).

let us know how you end up doing it.

StylizedReality
12-09-2003, 08:07 AM
ok, I used the same technique as the salty the seal spine setup in the learning maya book, in which you cluster the curve and set the weights for each of the cvs, only problem is, is that when my t. rex moves the cluster doesn't move with it, it stays behind, but when I make it the child of one of the joints, his neck juts out in front when the joint moves forward and recedes when the joint moves backwards, is there a way to solve this? thanks in advance

StylizedReality
12-09-2003, 08:11 AM
never mind I figured it out, just click on relative in the attribute editor

nelsonteixeira
12-10-2003, 02:59 AM
Do all the cluster job before skinning

YankyBJeans
12-11-2003, 07:33 AM
to reply to your first question about using a cube or some sort of control object to control your spine, yes you can. you can do some scripting and set the rotation of the box in x to the rotation of the curve in x, or in -x depending on how you want it. same for y and z. that way when you rotate your cube, your spine follows. or you can use it to control the movement of each cluster or joint. keep in mind you wouldnt set each joints rotation to be 100%. you would start at the top and set its rotation equal to the control objects, then the next one down would be a bit less (by multiplying the rotation by a certain decimal value) and so on.

this works well for bipeds and you would have to be a bit more clever in your setup but it should work fine since even a dinosaur has a hip that would be the end of the spine. just repeat the process on the tail and you can get that workin too.

Hope this gets you thinking.

Yanky

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.