PDA

View Full Version : Startup Script: Hide Hidden Folders

FerryP
12-11-2012, 09:07 AM
Hi there

On my home PC I have a couple of hidden folders which I don't want my partner to see (yes, pr0n is one of them haha). She knows nothing about computers, but she can browse through folders ofcourse. Now I have those files set to "hidden", which works perfectly. She has no clue that hidden folders even exist.

But my problem is that I sometimes forget to set the folder options to Hide Hidden Folders before I shut down. So if she were to use my pc for whatever reason she might find them.
The question I have is as following:
Is there a script which I can put in my Windows Startup folder that automatically sets the windows options to Hide Hidden Folders? That way I'm covered :)

I know that there's encrypted software and such, but that's all too much of a hassle.
She will never find folders that are hidden + she will never really look for anything suspicious anyway. I just don't want her to come across it by accident.

Thanks in advance!

tswalk
12-11-2012, 01:42 PM
why not just create a local account for her to use, then set the security for your folders for only your account...

would be alot easier imo.

FerryP
12-11-2012, 02:08 PM
why not just create a local account for her to use, then set the security for your folders for only your account...

would be alot easier imo.

I don't want to use different accounts. I hate logging in on my desktop, Especially since I'm the only one using it (with one or two exceptions a year). But I think I have it already...a friend made me a .vbs script:

hiddenFolders = "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Hidden"
Set myshell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
currentState = myshell.RegRead(hiddenFolders)
If currentState = 1 Then
myshell.RegWrite hiddenFolders, 2, "REG_DWORD"
End If
myshell.SendKeys("{F5}")

CGTalk Moderation
12-11-2012, 02:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.