PDA

View Full Version : Any idea on how to achieve this style?

Souljacker
12-11-2012, 05:21 AM
Hi guys!

I've been trying to replicate the style of an artist I've recently found out and which work I've really enjoyed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/protski/

I've studied his art which seems to be based on a vector layout and shaded with brushes but I can't really put my finger on how to achieve this effect. I'm already a "vexel" style artist, but I found this kind of art more organic and engaging. One big difference from his work to traditional vexel or vector style portraits is his is based on solid colors while vexel realies heavily on gradients and overlays.

I've searched all over the web for any tutorial or speed painting video which produced a similar result with no success.

Would you guys have any idea if there's any tutorial about this technic?

Thanks guys!

Lunatique
12-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Just use hard-edged brushes with the opacity control turned off. You can set the size control to pen pressure for strokes that require you to taper the lines, but otherwise, you can keep it off. It's really just painting with a hard-edged brush, keeping the values distinct, while applying some hatching lines--that's all it is.

Seppuku
12-20-2012, 01:32 PM
That looks like illustrator work instead of Photoshop brushes.

PDavidson0911
02-06-2013, 04:36 AM
That most definitely looks like Illustrator work. That is Vector Line work for sure.

CGTalk Moderation
02-06-2013, 04:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.