PDA

View Full Version : E-Frontiers acquires Curious Labs

Thalaxis
12-08-2003, 11:58 PM
Press Release at Curious Labs' site (http://www.curiouslabs.com/article/articleview/998/1/43/?df=1)

Gendou
12-09-2003, 12:23 AM
i had read (what i could gather from the bad altavista translation) about Shade before. it seems like a good package and with this release to western countries now the pricing isn't bad at all ($1700 roughly) for the professional version and as low as 500 for the personal version. it exports to RIB format (even in the demo) which means it's got good output and rendering options and has a very nice illustrator-like approach to bezier curve patch modeling. i'm not sure what the material or animation system is like but time will tell. apparently it's been used quite a bit in japan for cg and the marketing pitch i gather from it is something like "render your dreams". the v6 is newest but they still offer the v5 Educational version for download which comes with the manual and tutorials.

seems worth checking out.

TapioKa
12-09-2003, 04:41 AM
It's interesting that not much is mentioned of Shade on CGTalk.

Shade is extremely popular 3d app in Japan for quite a while now, and the work that has been created with it, has been exemplary.

Problem is, due to the fact that it's Japanese, not much exposure seems to be made in the rest of the world.

I hope to see more exposure of Japanese artists as well. There is a LOT of excellent 3D work being done there.

Interesting to see what they do with the software.:thumbsup:

Thalaxis
12-09-2003, 02:48 PM
Based on using the demo (before getting hooked on Cinema),
what I remember is that it's modeller is a bit like Hash's, with
more tools and a lighter-weight UI.

The character tools are odd; they integrate joints and IK into the
model, so there are no bones, instead it uses the splines you
make the model from as bones. It seemed effective, but it was
definitely odd :)

They also still use progressive-refinement radiosity... though I'm
not sure about v6. For those not familiar with the term, it's the
radiosity method used in Lightscape and LightWorks. It's more
accurate than Monte Carlo methods and less noise-prone, but
requires more precomputation time and memory. I think that the
Monte Carlo methods are the next generation, but also that
architectural visualization types still favor the progressive
refinement method because of its accuracy.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.