PDA

View Full Version : motion capture - want it

BostonMcC
12-08-2003, 11:25 PM
I am a young artist interested in motion capture. I'm still in school, and therefore don't have much money, but I do remember at one point seeing a cheap motion capture suit for sale in some animation software for educational blah blah blah catalog. I now... that I've gotten my feet wet in the 3d Cg world am wondering where in the world did I see such a thing if I truely didn't imagine it up.

I've been surfing and searching for motion capture suits online, but have found none that come without a 4 digit price tag or at least one thats first digit is less than 2.

My question is whats good and whats bad for what amount of green backs. I don't need something to graph my every twitch... just something to start my animations in the direction I intend to go. If you know anything, thats exactly what I'm looking for.

stephen2002
12-09-2003, 01:18 PM
You might be able to find the suit cheap but the big problem is finding the necessary 10+ IR cameras, a place to set them up, the necessary hardware to record with them, and the necessary software to make sence out of the recordings. All of that is going to be very very expensive.

Stick to keyframing for now. If you are lucky there is a studio nearby your school (or mabye even in your school) that has motion capture equipment that you can use for a few hours.

imashination
12-09-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Shen
My question is whats good and whats bad for what amount of green backs. I don't need something to graph my every twitch... just something to start my animations in the direction I intend to go. If you know anything, thats exactly what I'm looking for.

You have 2 choices, pingpong balls or pistons. Both cost well in to 5 digits.

The suit you saw was probably covered in pingpong balls, this will be cheap. But you need to add to this a dozen or so cameras, camera rig, lighting rig, computers to capture on to, mocap software...

The piston suits are easier to handle, but are limited in what they can capture... and still mega expensive.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.