PDA

View Full Version : Window glass effect

Sho Takahashi
12-08-2003, 10:19 PM
Do you know how do they did that shiny effect on the windows (spiderman:the movie). It reflect very well the skybox and the surroundings and it surprisingly don't seem to slow the framerate. And it's all done thanks to the textures.

Please if it's a software effect try to be lightwave specific thanks .

Here's a screen from the game.

http://image.jeuxvideo.com/images/pc/s/m/smtmpc001.jpg

Supervlieg
12-08-2003, 10:51 PM
I would say good usage of a reflection map.

AdamAtomic
12-09-2003, 12:18 AM
supervlieg - wow that's a descriptive response ;)

Sho - i'd assume they made a cubemap of the environment and then mapped it to the windows, or possibly mapped it to the whole building and then put a big texture over it that alpha'd out the windows so you could see the mapping on it. That's just a guess though - i think environment mapping/cubemaps is probably your answer. That is probably what supervlieg meant?

Inchoatos
12-09-2003, 04:26 AM
hey, do they ever use a box HRDI map for games? or can a server handle that. i would say no, but i would also say that that would be a good way to do it :D

Supervlieg
12-09-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Adam Atomic
supervlieg - wow that's a descriptive response ;)

Sho - i'd assume they made a cubemap of the environment and then mapped it to the windows, or possibly mapped it to the whole building and then put a big texture over it that alpha'd out the windows so you could see the mapping on it. That's just a guess though - i think environment mapping/cubemaps is probably your answer. That is probably what supervlieg meant?

Yep, something along that lines. ;)

CGmonkey
12-09-2003, 11:43 AM
Yeah.. But cubemaps are static. HL2 showed an impressive real-time high-dynamic range support (HDR)..

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.