PDA

View Full Version : BBC TV Special "From Pencils to Pixels" on Wednesday 10 December

RobertoOrtiz
12-08-2003, 08:40 PM
Quote:
"Imagine celebrates the phenomena of the animated feature film, which has had audiences spellbound since its beginnings in 1911.

Back in the early days everything was done by hand, but that all changed with the release of Hollywood's first computer-generated feature film, Toy Story, in 1995.

At the point when Hollywood seems to be forsaking traditional hand-drawn animation in favour of the computer, Imagine talks to the people at the heart of the industry to try and find out whether this really is the end for traditional animation techniques. "

>>link<< (http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2003/10_october/17/imagine_series_two.shtml)
(Scroll Down)

-R

allseeingi
12-09-2003, 12:52 AM
We've only got five terrestrial channels and I still didn't notice that in the TV Listings. Cheers Roberto.

- allseeingi

Mattoo
12-09-2003, 01:15 AM
It still must be the "early days" then, because I could swear that I'm doing this stuff with my hands... no wait, I'm sure of it.... watch... there, I made a squiggle in Photoshop with my.... "hand".

I can't wait for this future land where I don't have to use my hands anymore - I'd just have to think it and it'd be there. Oh the possibilities...

*Sarcasm mode off.

Thanks for the link, I'll see if I can catch it and see if it turns out we're all robots as I fear may be the case. Damn, that sarcasm managed to sneak in there again :rolleyes:

LIGHTYEAR
12-09-2003, 02:20 PM
Direct from the BBC listings website

"BBC1 Wed 10 Dec, 22:35_-_23:25__50_mins _ _
_ _
From Pencils To Pixels

The huge success of computer created films such as Finding Nemo, Shrek and Toy Story has led to Hollywood experiencing another 'Golden Age' of animation. Imagine... talks to John Lasseter, the genius behind Toy Story, veteran Disney animators Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston, and Wallace and Gromit's creator Nick Park, to find out whether this means the end of the line for traditional pencil drawn animation. "

grury
12-11-2003, 02:16 PM
Fantastic stuff, pity my VCR decided to die last weekend, wish i could have recorded it and watch it over and over again, specially the bit with Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston :bowdown:
well done the BBC, thats almost worth the TV licence fee for a year...

Andimation
12-11-2003, 02:37 PM
Yea. After watching i wished i had recorded it. The Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston stuff was great. Very inspirational. Especially the interview with John Lasseter...

LIGHTYEAR
12-11-2003, 02:39 PM
I think that the 2D 3D argument will rage on, but at the end of the day, as John Lassiter said, the story has to be the most important thing. Soon the punters won't care if their watching 2D or 3D as the novelty will wear off, if it hasn't already?

yog
12-11-2003, 05:10 PM
Interesting to note that John Lasseter, the one person who might have been thought to talk up the "advantages" of 3D over 2D, did no such thing. He seemed to have a genuine passion for 2D animation.

It was also interesting that as far as he was concerned story was everything, and it didn't matter how you told the story, (2D, 3D, or glove puppets), as long as the story was worth telling.

It was interesting how the documentary likened Pixar to the early days of Disney, especially given recient news.

AJ
12-11-2003, 06:08 PM
It was interesting but more for the nostalgic look at early animation then any form of comparison to their digital counterparts.

There were some great tales from masters old and new, but the program neglected to actually address the issue it was putting forward - is traditional animation going out the door... which is a shame.

allseeingi
12-12-2003, 12:41 AM
Classic Felix Rocks :buttrock:

Different people did lend their opinion on the question of whether 2D is dead, although some in a more roundabout way. I do agree with the bloke from Disney who said something along the lines of it coming down to money and as soon as another 2D movie makes big bucks everyone will be "Oh yeah, 2D's great". How long that will be is another matter. But as yog already pointed out, John Lasseter and the Pixar team know that the story's number 1. You can't go far wrong with a good story no matter what the medium.

- allseeingi

grury
12-12-2003, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by yog
Interesting to note that John Lasseter, the one person who might have been thought to talk up the "advantages" of 3D over 2D, did no such thing. He seemed to have a genuine passion for 2D animation.

It was also interesting that as far as he was concerned story was everything, and it didn't matter how you told the story, (2D, 3D, or glove puppets), as long as the story was worth telling.

It was interesting how the documentary likened Pixar to the early days of Disney, especially given recient news.

...and just why would he go about the 3D v 2D debate, if he was himself a 2D animator in the past...he had a vision.. just like the Disney guys had back in the 30/40's..i bet if you go around and ask John about his top 10 animated movies, he probably puts Finding Nemo, well down the list of his all time faves.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.