PDA

View Full Version : Still: Cozy Fireplace

gills
12-08-2003, 07:38 PM
I generally don't have the courage to post in CGtalk, since most of you artists are unbelievably talented.

However, as am amateur, I feel my skills have been improving slightly.

This is my latest piece, taking advantage of 3dsm v6 built in Mental Ray rendering.

All models made by me ( and the painting over the fireplace was a scene I made in 3dsm a few years ago....)

C&C from the pros.....but be gentle :p

http://apparitiondesigns.com/aDupload/uploads/musth/fireplacefinal.jpg

scoogee
12-08-2003, 07:48 PM
good job; how long you been working in 3d? one thing that stands out for me is the lack of shadows on the table. unfortunately, i'm not buying the objects on the table. i can see a faint shadow but i believe that it might be darker if there was to be one. i could be just crazy though. good job nonetheless!

illOgic
12-08-2003, 07:49 PM
wow very impressive. i just have a few things that catch my eye right off, the objects on the coffee table seem a bit large, and the bookcase textures, the books are clearly one texture. maybe make the cracks in btween the books darker give them more depth? small details also, things like the picture being to high, the plug on the lamp just going into the wall, a little more detial in the textures, ie the books and fire, plus also maybe making the picture to the right a object as well.

great picture btw, looks good.

gills
12-08-2003, 07:52 PM
hmmmm.....no reason why there WOULDNT be a shadow on the table from the objects - I have Mental Ray's GI turned on, and the two light sources are the fire and the lamp.

This is the way the renderer made the shadows, took too long to render to go in and make the shadows more purposeful.

Oh, and I've been 3d modeling amateurly for 2 years.

NeoJin131
12-08-2003, 09:44 PM
i like this piece a lot, gills
i think the symmetry in the back wall is too strong
and the fire needs more work, but I like the way
the room is only lit on one side and the overall "cozy"
feel as ur title implies.

:thumbsup:

FootFace
12-08-2003, 11:40 PM
I like the ceiling texture alot. It looks very realistic in my mind anyway. I love the lighting in this scene. I can imagine myself asleep in that chair with a good book in my lap.

skyfinch
12-09-2003, 02:45 AM
Not bad, however, the fire looks kind of flat, almost as if it were a texture-mapped plane.

charithmax
12-09-2003, 05:02 AM
wow! really nice! i really like this!:thumbsup:

the lampshade looks 2d, did u turn on the "force 2 sided option" in the renderer?

anyways, good job!:beer:

gills
12-09-2003, 11:01 AM
no - i never did turn on that option - never realized it had a purpose - until now,

thanx for the tip, charithmax.

and if ANYONE can give me advise on how to improve that fire - i am using an atmosheric gizmo, and added 3dsm fire effect, and played with the settings....is there a better option for making fire?

blindsleeper
12-10-2003, 07:52 AM
particle systems would work better for a basic fire, here is a possibility:
http://www.comteche.com/data/tutorials/3d_studio_max/tutorials_3d_max/3d-studio=005.asp

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.