PDA

View Full Version : [VRay for Maya] VrayFastSSS2 and Vray SSS in general

KIIIA
12-05-2012, 11:39 PM
Hey guys,

every now and then i'm trying to gain artistic control over SSS in VRay. I feel like this is really the only aspect of this renderer that gives me headaches. When talking to other artists at work or university, i often get to hear that they feel the same.

1. So, do you guys have a smooth and artisticaly controleable SSS workflow with VRay?
2. Do you use the VRayFastSSS2 material or the VRayMtl. with SSS switched on?
3. Do you get the VRayFastSSS2 working correctly with the blend material ?

What are your best practices or methods......if they are successful please share them with me ;)

Cheers,
Timm

Panupat
12-06-2012, 12:44 AM
I never used SSS on standard material so I can't compare there. At a glance however, fast SSS gives you much more SSS related parameters to play with and that's a good thing.

blend material - if you're adding some dust or other things on top of your skin, that seems to work fine. However if you're trying to place a totally opaque, non-SSS shader side by side with SSS onto the same object, I always get some very unpleasant color bleeding where the 2 materials met.

KIIIA
12-06-2012, 08:53 AM
...However if you're trying to place a totally opaque, non-SSS shader side by side with SSS onto the same object, I always get some very unpleasant color bleeding where the 2 materials met.

I was encountering problems when trying to add a fresnel based reflection layer on on top (VrayFastSSS2 as base, VRayMtl. as coat1, additive off, vrayfresnel texture as blend amount).

Apart from that i'm struggling to at the same time remove those unpleasant counter colour borders that always appear (like purple edges for green subsurface) and boost the sss effect to a level i want it to be intensity-wise (I'm not talking about some subtle skin effects here, but for example magically lit berries and such....). I read the doc, and i know why these counter colour borders appear, and how to remove them in theory, just in practice i'm not getting there.

I know quite a few shows (at work and university level) where they used VRay because its just that comfortable, but switched to another renderer for the SSS......i'd totally love to avoid that, since we will have an automated VRay to Nuke pipeline.

CGTalk Moderation
12-06-2012, 08:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.