PDA

View Full Version : whats per-pixel & per-vertex??

boxbono
12-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Hello!
Someone who can help me understand the differences and uses of lighting per-pixel and per-vertex from a practical standpoint for use in video games.

Thanks! :)

Bitter
12-22-2012, 05:51 AM
Per-pixel is typically based on a texture map. UV for instance.

Per-vertex means information is stored per vertex, so denser objects have more vertices and will retain more information. But this also increases polygon count.

boxbono
12-22-2012, 06:56 AM
Per-pixel is typically based on a texture map. UV for instance.

Per-vertex means information is stored per vertex, so denser objects have more vertices and will retain more information. But this also increases polygon count.

:) Ok, so i guess per-vertex is what you use in ptex or in polypaint in zbrush, right? But how do you apply it to illumination? Or may be my question should be "can you apply per-pixel or per-vertex to illumination?"
Don't know if that make any sense :curious:

at2142
12-23-2012, 04:41 AM
hi
Per-pixel :for each pixel process will is run for example Lighting per-pixel and based on rasterization and object near or far from camera.
but per-vertex based on number of vertex object,and for detail must increase vertex.
for more information please visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per-pixel_lighting

boxbono
01-01-2013, 10:32 PM
So, i guess this a process that happens in the render engine as a whole system, is not something that I have to apply per light or material, then I shouldn't worry too much about it. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-01-2013, 10:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.