PDA

View Full Version : Sony Considers PSP Spec Change

AnimBot
12-08-2003, 08:06 PM
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=2695
December 8, 2003

Sony Considers PSP Spec Change
Following a presentation from the SCEE Technology Group, rumors have begun to circulate suggesting Sony technicians may be considering changing the apparently final spec of the PSP (PlayStation Portable).

Developers have long been concerned that the lack of main system RAM compares poorly to the PS2 (at a quarter of the home console’s amount), whereas other elements of the machines' technical specification are almost identical.

Rumors that Sony would increase the amount of main system RAM have been exacerbated since developers have still not been sent proper development kits and Sony officials have given no indication of when PSP hardware will be available to examine – bar the promised showing at E3 2004.
-David Jenkins

Supervlieg
12-08-2003, 08:30 PM
They're bound to reconsider a lot of things before they release it to the masses. I would like to see how it turns out though. I like the 3d on the move aspect. I just dont want to bring a whole multimedia type of thing with me. Playing games will do it for me.

It seems like they want to do the same as they did with the ps2: attract a wider demographic by adding features (dvd playback for the ps2, mp3 and other media playback on the psp.)

It'll be an interesting time for the portable market. I'd like to see how Nintendo plans to handle portable console battle. Lets see if they stick to cartridges again. Maybe they've learned something from the past, but I won't put my money on it.

Edit: Interesting pdf with all specs, stuff about surface tessalation, dev papers etc. here (http://www.technology.scee.net/sceesite/files/presentations/PSP/IntroductiontoPSP.pdf)

allseeingi
12-09-2003, 12:57 AM
I don't know why, I should know better by now, but I do find it amazing that their going to fit something close to a PS2 in that little thing.

- allseeingi

t-toe
12-09-2003, 01:51 AM
actually, the looming PSP is one of the reasons I've been putting off getting an iPod. if it's really as amazing as I've been reading, it will be the be-all end-all portable... but then again, it may not be able to read Apple's AAC format, which I have been encoding my recent CD purchases in, in which case I'll still need an iPod anyway.

private
12-09-2003, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by t-toe
actually, the looming PSP is one of the reasons I've been putting off getting an iPod. if it's really as amazing as I've been reading, it will be the be-all end-all portable... but then again, it may not be able to read Apple's AAC format, which I have been encoding my recent CD purchases in, in which case I'll still need an iPod anyway.

It's not going to play mp3's is it? I did a quick search on google and didn't see it was going to be able to play mp3's. Please say it's so!

bentllama
12-09-2003, 08:05 AM
on any system that releases specs that early before launch to the public, there are bound to be imminent changes. dreams on paper often become a lesser but still satisfying reality. that is exactly why a company should not talk about specs so early on in my opinion.

as a developer I want to hear about future architecture; but as a consumer, please just surprise me so I will not be disappointed when a system with less icing arrives in my hands.

as an avid gba player, I am excited about the future of handheld, expecially when handheld games force better stories and classic gameplay from most developers on the platform.

[oh, and xenon gonna rock you]

katakana
12-09-2003, 08:21 AM
I belive i read its going able to play music, I dont remember saying anything about mp3 or wma. Its the "Walkman of the 21st century" which in itself implys some musical ablity.

eple
12-09-2003, 03:46 PM
According to this article posted way back in May, it should play MP3's

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/68/33790.html

"The PSP will feature Dolby 7.1 multi-channel audio, with 3D sound. It will support MP3, AAC and Sony's own ATRAC3 sound formats. It uses AVC (H.264) and MPEG4 for video. The machine's UMD media can hold up to two hours' of DVD-quality video or four hours 'standard' quality, whatever that is. Either way, movies are displayed on the unit's 4.5in 16:9 widescreen ratio 480 x 272-pixel LCD, seen here. "

Also, SONY recently announced it would make changes to the PSX specs just weeks before its release in Japan. I just hope this doesn't become a trend and they are able to deliver on what they have promised so far.
I've never had a handheld, but this could very well be my first if its as good as they are hyping it up to be.:bounce:

t-toe
12-10-2003, 06:53 AM
this all-in-one portable is sounding better all the time...

heavyness
12-10-2003, 04:01 PM
"there's a USB 2.0 port, IrDA interface, Memory Stick slot and a proprietary expansion connector."

i'm sold.

it's an mp3 player for me that can also play videos, tetris, and some really cool games. the only thing that can turn me away is price and battery life. hopefully the mp3 player will have an option to keep the screen off to save some power.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.