PDA

View Full Version : low poly texturing

Dinodiegus
12-08-2003, 07:12 PM
Ok i have a few questions on texturing for low poly.

I created a female character, in my stack my char is in editable poly and i added a turn to poly with limit to polygon size as 3 to show the triangles.

The Poly count says 6120 polys. Now my main question is, do i have to meshsmooth the model before texturing it?

Because if i texture directly the way it is, i see folds or i see the edges in each polygon when i render my model.

Is there a way of obtaining a smooth textured look without using meshsmooth, because meshsmooth makes my model too heavy in poly count. i will post a render with some textures on it, in my next post if this one is not clear enough.

Thanks in advance.

EricChadwick
12-08-2003, 07:47 PM
Use smoothing groups, and dump the Turn to Poly.

JDinges
12-08-2003, 08:09 PM
If you want the -true- triangle/poly count then just convert it to a editable mesh and get the poly count from that.

And yeah, use smoothing groups, located in the polygon sub-object level. Select what polys you want smoothed and give them a smoothing ID by selecting a number from the chart thingy. But remember it ain't perfect.

Dhin
12-08-2003, 10:02 PM
IF you want the mesh to be in triangles I'd dump the turn to poly also and use a sub-D on it, (just increase the number until the tri count stops going down.) This way will actually cause you to end up with less tri's than the turn to poly, believe it or not.

Also with a count of 6000+ I'm assuming this is for a newer game engine (like HL2 or something) so smoothgroups are a good way to go. If you don't want to do it that way though you'll have to divide the mesh and smooth each part seperatly if you want amore realistic smooth to things. For some types of animating this way is easier also. I'd still just go with smoothing groups over all it ends up much nicer.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.