PDA

View Full Version : Nice Character UI in Python / Maya

JaredTaylor
12-04-2012, 01:48 AM
Hi

I'm about to delve into the territory of creating character UI's. My first instinct was to make them in flash and use maya's commandport but that's buggered and causes a crash.

I've seen some nice ones around and also a vast majority of grey buttons splattered across the screen which must make the animator's brain bleed.

So quite simply, how can I make a UI in maya similar to something you would see in motionbuilder - or at least as close to that as you can get with what's currently available.

Maya 2012.

PozestStar
12-04-2012, 02:44 AM
Would these be of interest to you?

https://vimeo.com/45980607 (part 6)
https://vimeo.com/46452342 (part 7)

He goes over how he creates character pickers. The images he uses for buttons are of simple cubes, but I think would be easy enough to use your own images, cut them in Photoshop(or your photo editor of choice) and place them in the UI like he does.

JaredTaylor
12-04-2012, 02:58 AM
Hi there,

I'll look at em but I can't load long videos until 4 more days when my internet switches over :shrug:

Sorry about that!

Azrail
12-04-2012, 09:04 AM
You can build something decent with iconTextButtons and a form layout, but you have to play around with the positioning of them a lot. Other approach is to try and use PyQt for Maya, if there is a build for the version of Maya you use, but this can be a little complicated at the beginning,

JaredTaylor
12-04-2012, 04:43 PM
You can build something decent with iconTextButtons and a form layout, but you have to play around with the positioning of them a lot. Other approach is to try and use PyQt for Maya, if there is a build for the version of Maya you use, but this can be a little complicated at the beginning,

I've worked with PYQT a little outside of maya, can you shed some more light on this?

If I'm giving it to a whole bunch of people and I use PYQT will there be compatibility issues across versions?

Azrail
12-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Each maya version requires a compatible version of PyQt, so you will need a version for every maya on every OS you intend to run your tool... Which can be a major pain, since there may not be such already compiled, and building it from scratch is a bit tedious task. So in regards of distribution I would propose to stick with maya's own ui possibilities. Or you can try and build an external app, which connects to maya via some port, and try to sync the rig and the app, but that also seems too overcomplicated, since in the end you will have mostly buttons, sliders and may be tabs, which are manageable enough via formLayouts.

JaredTaylor
12-04-2012, 05:46 PM
That's a real shame - I'll look into the other things you mentioned. :bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
12-04-2012, 05:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.