PDA

View Full Version : NINTENDO failing?

mrZack
12-08-2003, 04:40 PM
"Due to an inventory clogged with millions of unwanted GameCubes, Nintendo had to suspend production on the boxes for the first nine months of this year. Such operations snafus contributed to the company's first half-yearly loss since going public in 1962

Perhaps more devastating was Nintendo's initial reluctance to market itself to older teenagers and adults, sticking too long to the low-growth market for kids under 14.
According to many experts, Nintendo's most likely route is to eventually follow Sega's lead: get out of the brutally competitive console business and focus on software. "

link: http://www.time.com/time/asia/magazine/article/0,13673,501031215-557120,00.html

:applause:

"Despite its troubles, no one is seriously suggesting that Nintendo is going to be squeezed out of the hardware business almost overnight, as Sega was.
Nintendo is sitting on $6 billion in cash and carries no debt, which could provide a war chest with which to outsource a competitive next-generation hardware system. The threats to its Game Boy monopoly are, at this point, hypothetical; and it does have a core excellence in producing seductive software, which makes it (still) one of the largest game publishers in the world"

kwshipman
12-08-2003, 04:56 PM
I don't know what their future holds, but this is from the CEO:

Online video games have been a false start so far, Iwata asserts, which is why he has no plans to lead Nintendo in that direction. The current path taken by game developers toward more cinematic graphics, richer story lines and complicated controls is a blind alley that, he says, will only worsen the current "nothing's new" ennui felt by many consumers.

What people want, Iwata says, are simpler, more accessible games that are easier to play and solve—think thumb candy for dummies.

Not exactly the best strategy I have heard for the gaming business

dirkusrhombas
12-08-2003, 05:01 PM
So long as they keep making games I am happy. Personally I think they made a big mistake when they didnt go for the dvd reader instead of that minidisc option. It put me off because I wanted to watch movies :)

Spankspeople
12-08-2003, 05:06 PM
I wanetd to watch movies too. Luckily by that point I already had a PS2, a DVD player and a computer with a DVD-Rom drive and didn't want to pay extra for my Gamecube to do things that I didn't really need it to do anyways.

Besides. For the price of a decent DVD player (Or a PS2, or an X-Box when they first came out) you could import a Q and mod it to play American games.

And when I can get a DVD player at Wal*Mart for $30, I don't NEED my gaming consoles to have more reasons to break. Gamecube is a gaming machine, and a simple one at that. It plays games, it doesn't watch DVD's, it doesn't detect alien life for SETI, it doesn't do my taxes. It just plays games, as a gaming system is supposed to.

Just because Sony wasn't confident enough with their gaming system as a gaming system doesn't mean that Nintendo has to be.

Neil
12-08-2003, 05:20 PM
This coming right after they said they sold off all of the current consols and will start the next wave of production again? :shrug:

And yes, their handhelds have competition, albeit nothing to worry about from what i've seen others putting out. I can't really see them not making consols, because so many of their titles are on their own platform only. It would be very odd to play Zelda on a PS2 (3?)

t-toe
12-08-2003, 05:58 PM
yeah, the definitely messed up with the GameCube... but I think their biggest problem was the lack of a killer app until about two months into the life of the console. the early adopters were put off by the fact that there wasn't much worthwhile to play and it just slowed down sales overall.

klingspor
12-08-2003, 06:08 PM
It really makes me wonder, do we need these threads about Nintendo failing every week? I'm getting quite tired of it to be honest...
It's almost as bad as the people who claim to know that "Apple will go down soon"... and have been claiming that for the past decade or so.

Some people like Nintendo - some don't. Many prefer XBox or PS2. So what? Do we really need this FUD spread here every week?

projectcoil
12-08-2003, 06:14 PM
It certainly doesn't agree with this.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107254&highlight=Nintendo

Good thing we have the Internet with current news.

mrZack
12-08-2003, 06:34 PM
youre right, my source isn't current

it's from the future
December 15, 2003 / Vol. 162 No. 23

besides, it would make sense, since ps2 has saturated the US market, nobody buys it during thanksgiving weekend because everybody already has one. for 100 bucks, nintendo is giving game cube away to unload its un-sellable stock pile.

NightSky
12-08-2003, 07:21 PM
I'm confused....

On another note, Nintendo has been known to do some "what the f*@# were they thinking" things in the past. I'm talking about opting for the cartridge over cd (Sony was orriginally hired to make a cd addon for SNES, so when Nintendo scrapped it they released the ps1, which was already made), breaking it's long relationship with Square, and sticking to cute cuddly games (except for Bond).

I'm not going to speculate & assume anything, but it will be interesting to see what plays out.

~James Allen

Supervlieg
12-08-2003, 08:24 PM
Dang, is it the 15th allready? Guess I missed a few days. Where do I sign up for this future news thing?

:P

Neil
12-08-2003, 09:05 PM
I ALWAYS look to TIME magazine for my video game news.

poka-studio
12-08-2003, 09:17 PM
I don't know what their future holds, but this is from the CEO:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Online video games have been a false start so far, Iwata asserts, which is why he has no plans to lead Nintendo in that direction. The current path taken by game developers toward more cinematic graphics, richer story lines and complicated controls is a blind alley that, he says, will only worsen the current "nothing's new" ennui felt by many consumers.

What people want, Iwata says, are simpler, more accessible games that are easier to play and solve—think thumb candy for dummies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not exactly the best strategy I have heard for the gaming business

Sadly, it's not a strategy, it's a statement.
I'm quite fed up with the current trend, working every year on the same game, only adding more people, more money, more work, because "this year, the characters hairs are moving, thanks to the incredible processing power of the XXX".
Games are more and more expensive to make, the devcos earn less and less, the gamers play the same game year after year....
I don't know what will happen in the futur, but it's rather bleak.
And it's not by adding more cinematography in games that games will compete against the movies industry for example.

S.

NightSky
12-08-2003, 10:14 PM
I agree with you that the game-industry is fast becomming more expensive to make. Look at when most of us were kids making games in Basic, or playing ATARI or NES games, which took a small number of people, compared to today games take much more people & work (Grand Theft Auto III from Rockstar is an example of a huge movie-comparing budget).

I don't believe games will replace movies however. While the two medium's markets may cross over into each other, they will never replace each other. I also think there will still be a market for lower budget games. Also, I think game artists are becoming much more talented as well, achieving more in a less amount of time.

~James Allen

Larry_g1s
12-08-2003, 10:15 PM
Uh yeah...I think the date alone show's its in-validity. By the text, that was the first thing I looked for, cause it sounded like the same thing from an older article.

Every article and fiscal stats sence the price drop have shown Nintendo has been doing great. And in some cases it not only out sold the Xbox, but the PS2 as well. So I wouldn't put to much in to this article. My bet is it's an old article with a messed up date or the writer has been living under a rock.

kwshipman
12-09-2003, 12:20 AM
hey guys, I am pretty sure that the date it the date the magazine is comeing out, not the date of the internet article

FootFace
12-09-2003, 01:05 AM
I work in retail, and I must say that over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, we sold tons of gamecubes. I own a gamecube and I always felt like I got jipped a bit, however some impressive games have been released lately (Viewtiful Joe, Mario Kart Double Dash, and Prince of Persia). I hope Nintendo remains strong, they've always impressed me.

t-toe
12-09-2003, 01:48 AM
yeah, now that I've graduated from college, I'll actually have a chance to play these new games coming out... first things first, though... gotta beat the new Zelda.

ages
12-09-2003, 02:21 AM
Consoles died when arcades died...

Long live 16-bit era.

NightSky
12-09-2003, 02:37 AM
Arcades died when consoles came, consoles will turn into entertainment/ game centers with personal computer/web capabilities, as we're starting to see with the next generation of console systems.

bentllama
12-09-2003, 03:04 AM
I love my GBA...but I have yet to justify a gamecube purchase...

I live to play online, and xbox live allows me that...and rather well I might add...

Fasty
12-09-2003, 03:04 AM
Hey, the Gamecube is down to $150 AUD, should I get one or are they just selling them all off before they discontinue the product? Are there any more games in the pipeling for the Gamecube?

Spankspeople
12-09-2003, 05:25 AM
The Gamecube is far from dead. They're not releasing a new system 'til at least 2005, and they've got plenty left to release. Capcom's coming out with some pretty cool stuff(I'd get a Gamecube for RE4 alone if I didn't already have one), and Nintendo is supposedly working on another Mario and Zelda.

Plus, there's a fair bit out already that kicks booty. Resident Evil... *drool*

SheepFactory
12-09-2003, 05:31 AM
prince of persia is out on gamecube?!

i am so getting a copy tomorrow.

long live gamecube , imho it has the best games and I cant wait to play the next metroid!

bentllama
12-09-2003, 07:52 AM
nintendo should embrace the online play, or they will surely lose sight of the future of gaming

halo
12-09-2003, 09:23 AM
erm, its not exactly a huge phenomenon, certainly nowhere near even PC players online, and the other console players are only a year or two ahead with this small market anyway.

Nintendo produce niche games (not niche in market size)...if their audience continues to enjoy their games, think their value for money then they will survive, however if their customers are swayed by the home media box approach sought by the other consoles trying to expand market share then they will be in trouble, because unlike online play, those systems do need more robust research and industry links to perform, which nintendo dont seem to be establishing or demonstrating yet.

slaughters
12-09-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by suny
Sadly, it's not a strategy, it's a statement.
I'm quite fed up with the current trend....S. So, you agree with the original statment ? "Richer story lines" are a bad thing for a game ?

SheepFactory
12-09-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by slaughters
So, you agree with the original statment ? "Richer story lines" are a bad thing for a game ?

depends , I mostly agree with that statement. When i pop in a console game most of the time i wanna go in blow things up for 20 minutes , i dont give a shit about what solid snake did 20 years ago in the secret base under the ural mountains being described to me with a crappy 30 minute in game cinematic.

I personally prefer "the aliens are attacking the world , go kick their butt" > mission starts. kind of games

there is a flip side though .

if the game can immerse you in the story while you are playing it thats a totally different ballgame.

ie: Metroid Prime , Half Life , etc

NanoGator
12-09-2003, 04:39 PM
Um. Nintendo's doing quite well. They're not dying or failing, they're not even going in Sega's direction. You don't have to be #1 in the marketplace to not be extremely profitable. They're kicking butt with the GBA, and the GameCube, now priced at $70-$100, is at that attractive price range that even PS2/XBOX owners can't ignore.

NightSky
12-09-2003, 05:17 PM
Remember back when the NES was $99.99, and that included 2, not one, T-W-O controllers, that badass lightgun, & "The Adventures of Super Mario"?? Ahhhh, those were the days..... We became dependent on Mt. Dew & Band-Aid...... Yessss, those were the days.....

poka-studio
12-09-2003, 09:45 PM
QUOTE]So, you agree with the original statment ? "Richer story lines" are a bad thing for a game ?[/QUOTE]

They're not a bad thing, but they're not the most important ingredient of a game. I don't want richer story lines when i play chess, for example.
Sadly, story lines and expensive cinematics are often a way to hide the lack of gameplay inovations, and the often amateurish design of most games. When you have the best of both world, like with Half life, or even metal gear solid, it can be a great experience!
But i'm not going to play MGS2 twice. I know the story, and the end, thanks.
The thing is, in 5 or 10 years, i'll still be playing with tetris or super monkey ball.

S.

Neil
12-09-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Sheep Factory
[B]i dont give a shit about what solid snake did 20 years ago in the secret base under the ural mountainsB]

You couldn't just reference another game instead, now could you? :(

Array
12-09-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Neil
I ALWAYS look to TIME magazine for my video game news.

Whenever TIME magazine writes about anything other than politics and world news, it makes my brain hurt. Thank god they got rid of Anita Hamilton, her tech articles made my blood boil.

ages
12-10-2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by NightSky
Arcades died when consoles came, consoles will turn into entertainment/ game centers with personal computer/web capabilities, as we're starting to see with the next generation of console systems.

Thats right stay in your houses all hooked up to this junk, I long for the good ole days when u would make new friends at the fish n chip shop, place your coins on the screen to be next in line..

The actual street fights you have when u played street fighter 2 and won, the thrill of clocking a game with everyone watching you, occaisionally get the sacrificial lamb who joins in 2nd player to help u kill the last boss...ahhhh what an era... Web cams...mics....online....you can have em cause as far as im concerned consoles are stale and dead.

projectcoil
12-10-2003, 02:43 AM
You have to take into account of writer, editor, and publisher deadlines involved with magazines like TIME. I wouldn't be surprised if they get a call from Nintendo. It's un-like gamespot where they can change it the next day.

Larry_g1s
12-17-2003, 05:54 AM
I'm sorry Time...what was that? I can't hear you with your foot in your mouth.

Link to Story (http://cube.ign.com/articles/446/446453p1.html)

GameCube Sales Soar
Ladies and gentlemen, after a long hiatus we have good news.

December 16, 2003 - Nintendo of America today announced that sales of its GameCube console were through the roof for the month of November. The company also revealed that Mario Kart: Double Dash!! was the number-one selling game for the busy holiday shopping period.

According to TRSTS data, 754,000 GameCubes were sold during the month of November. This is particularly good news as it proves that the recent $99 price reduction is continuing to spur sales.
Though GameCube sales failed to outperform that of Sony's, which sold 850,000 PlayStation 2s, Nintendo did seriously one-up Xbox sales for the month. Microsoft's console sold through only 490,000 units.

Just as important, Nintendo's flagship GameCube title for the holidays, Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, was the number-one selling game in November with 528,000 units sold. This figure is made all the more impressive because the racer was out available for only two weeks of the month.

Game Boy Advance, meanwhile, sold through 1.3 million units in November, easily besting everything else out there.

This is not to bash any other console, my point is the editor has been living under a rock. Because this was just the month of Nov. , ever sense the price drop back in Sept. (I think) it's been doing well.
:buttrock:

TheGreenGiant
12-17-2003, 02:25 PM
Okay... NPD numbers for consoles here; check out the Nintendo numbers vs XBox. I say the price cut has done them wonders.

November 2003

748,800 Cube
832000 PS2
491400 XBox

zzacmann
12-17-2003, 03:11 PM
I love Nintendo. I own every console they have released in America because I know I'll be getting quality games. But last night I went to blockbusters to rent a game and I finally came face to face with the sad truth. Gamecube just doesn't have enough games that I actually want to play. There are two columns of Gamecube games and about four for the xbox and six for PS2.

If Nintendo really wanted to boost sales all they would have to do is release one game: GTA: Vice City. I guarentee you that Nintendo lost mucho consumers to PS2 due that game alone.

On the subject of cinematic games, I think these games are great, but I just don't have the free time I used to to invest hours upon hours of gameplay at a time into a game. Now I like the games where I can sit and play for 20 or 30 minutes without having to delve into lengthy dialogue and plotlines. I like games like Timesplitters 2 where I can just go into the arcade or challenge mode and play some quick, self contained little battles for a few minutes and not worry about saving my game all the time.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.