PDA

View Full Version : still: (spaceship) My first scene

bamb0006
12-08-2003, 03:15 PM
I have been using Max now for 3 weeks and this is the first scene that I have created... Meaning this was my fist use of lighting, and atmosphere effects...

I was going for a "Flash Gordon" feel hence the string......

I have turned it into a little animation, my first attempt at using the time line and a target camera, but I couldn't achive all that I wanted....

I am now remaking it with a slightly different ship, and would like to try and use the spacewarp tool to create a wake effect when passing though the cloud, like in the intro to Voyager.... Although I don't even know if max can do this....

Feel free to comment, offer advice or suggestions...

http://home.iprimus.com.au/c_schultz/7.jpg
http://home.iprimus.com.au/c_schultz/7x.jpg

File: http://home.iprimus.com.au/c_schultz/7.zip

Frenkie
12-08-2003, 04:12 PM
not bad as your 1st scene!
and really nice colors!

NickTheNut
12-08-2003, 07:33 PM
very nice. for your new one, i would suggest adding a slotted window in the front, a very low profile one though. The coloring (is that a texture? or just shader?) on the rocket gives it a sleek futuristic look. Wouldn't want to ruin that look with too many windows of course!

excellent job :)

however I just noticed something, your lighting. You have the light hitting the left side of the right planet, while it's hitting the right side of the left planet. So where's the light source? It can't be the rocket can it? They should be far away from each other, it's space isn't it? :) I'd suggest adding a sun, or a noticable light source somewhere in there. Or... well hell it looks good anyways, and considering i have yet to show ANY of my work, i'll shut up :)

but like i said earlier, excellent job!

bamb0006
12-08-2003, 11:33 PM
Yeah I thought someone might comment on the lighting, seeing as space is so dark and all.....

So I already came up with my lie..

lights...
The sun off camera.
The reflection off the planet.
The glow from the engines.

I have already made the sun for my next scene, as I plan on doing a lot of camera rotation when I turn it into a clip, I thought I better actually put the light source in....

charithmax
12-09-2003, 05:10 AM
thats really nice!:thumbsup:

i hope u'll add some details to the rocket and how about some Meteors?:)

bamb0006
12-09-2003, 05:16 AM
I have tried puting some textures on the new ship, but it looses that cartoon feel to it.....

So I am at loss as to how to maintain the current feel, yet add some details to it....

I will put checkers on the nose, and I want some kind of hatch and windows to give it a sense of scale......

I will also be adding a comet and perhaps a astoroid and I am filling the space backgound with a lot of different nebula etc....

Seeing as this is cartoon-ish I dont want to make it to realistic, I just got a hold of a ultra realistic earth, but it doesn't look right...

I do plan on making a ultra realistic scene with a big mother ship, something along the lines of aliens. That is actually why I am doing this scene, I am seeing what I can actually pull off, before I waste my time building a complex scene, only to find that I can't get any effects right.

and thanks for the nice comment.....

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.