PDA

View Full Version : Renderfarm Services vs Pre-Built Renderfarms

Pri3
12-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Heylo. I've been considering alternative options for rendering---either subscribing to a rendering service (like RenderRocket, Renderbus and so on) or buying a pre-built render farm. I've heard that BOXX, Dell and HP manafacture renderfarm equipment but where could I find a pre-built renderfarm to purchase? How difficult are these to set up and start using? I don't know too much about either so I would like some insight on whichever alternative is the most easiest / convenient, and inexpensive to render personal projects.

I'm a recent graduate from art school and used to use the renderfarms provided to us by the school back when I was a student for my ZBrush and Maya projects. But now just using batch rendering on my desktop (i7, 12 GB RAM), it would take weeks so I want to expedite the process.

Thank you very much in advance!

tswalk
12-01-2012, 10:50 AM
here's my opinion...

if you've got a paying job to do, the short term costs for cloud based services could be easily integrated into your project fees and billable hours to your client.

however, in the long term... cloud services can get ridiculously expensive and for huge long-term projects it will take a major bite out of your profits.

it would be wise to do your math to see if investing in a smaller/ scalable farm makes sense now or later when you can afford to do it.

unless your independently wealthy with unlimited resources at hand.. then i'ld say, why the hell are you asking us.. just go buy it. :)

AJ1
12-01-2012, 12:08 PM
I agree with Troy.

The render farm services are great for professional work and one time projects on a deadline. Its usually more cost effective in the long term to build your own setup.

It really depends on your budget if you want your own setup. You could save a lot of money by assembling your own system. Its really not that hard to assemble a modern computer. You could snap together a 6-8 node farm in one weekend.

-AJ

Pri3
12-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I had thought as much that probably having a personal renderfarm would be the most cost effective.

It really depends on your budget if you want your own setup. You could save a lot of money by assembling your own system. Its really not that hard to assemble a modern computer. You could snap together a 6-8 node farm in one weekend.

-AJ

At the risk of sounding like a newbie, is there a help guide on building a renderfarm, if pre-built ones aren't sold. I haven't found too many on Google or maybe I've just overlooked them. I've built a PC before but never a renderfarm so I want to know exactly what goes into making / creating one, and installing softwares on it.

Any detailed insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

AJ1
12-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Ryan Duff, another user on the forum, posted this very cool link:

http://www.braverabbit.de/playground/?page_id=630

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=7460344&postcount=42

Its a 5-node farm built from a file cabinet. The hardware used is one generation out of date, but the concepts and steps are the same. Check out Newegg.com for prices and reviews on components.

You can get a prebuilt setup from Dell, HP, or Supermicro, but your going to pay a lot more. You can save several thousand dollars buy building it yourself.

-AJ

CGTalk Moderation
12-02-2012, 12:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.