PDA

View Full Version : recurrent os corruption

stradox
11-30-2012, 11:29 AM
This has been a constant source of frustration for me... I built a workstation with the following parts:
intel core i7 3930k
corsair h80 cooler
32gb corsair vengeance (8 x 4gb)
asus p9x79 deluxe motherboard
evga classified geforce gtx 570
western digital caviar black 1tb hdd

I installed windows 7 professional, but it seems no matter how i manage the system, the os gets corrupt every month or so, requiring me to format and reinstall...

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me pinpoint the problem, or help with some advice, if you have faced a similar problem...

olson
11-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Define "gets corrupt" for us.

stradox
11-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Sorry, the most common way it happens is that windows begins to have startup issues, and after booting, certain services are unable to run, due to errors accessing memory, with some 0x oooo... codes...

the most recent episode began with windows explorer crashing each time i clicked anything immediately after bootup, and next came the blue screens...

It always ends up with consistent blue screens at bootup, and i have to format the hard drive and reinstall windows...

AJ1
11-30-2012, 05:09 PM
You might be having problems with bad sectors on your hard drive.

Try googling the error codes that you get.

stradox
11-30-2012, 06:54 PM
will try that... is there any way to isolate and/or fix the bad sectors, if i have em???

AJ1
11-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Try running chkdsk.

Srek
11-30-2012, 07:29 PM
If bad sectors show up on modern drives they are toast. It means that the autocorrection mechanisms implemented in them start to fail.
Replace the harddisk and try again. From my experience WD disks usually crap out in less than two years, if i have any choice i use Seagate instead.

olson
11-30-2012, 08:10 PM
will try that... is there any way to isolate and/or fix the bad sectors, if i have em???

Modern hard disks have reserved sectors. The firmware on the hard disk will automatically remap bad sectors to those reserved sectors. When it runs out of reserved sectors is when it starts affecting things for the end user (which means there are a shit ton of bad sectors). If you check with a S.M.A.R.T. utility it should be able to tell you how many bad sectors have been remapped and how many are left in the reserve. Like already said, if the disk is out of reserved sectors the service life of the disk is over. You might be able to get a free replacement if the disk is under warranty, otherwise it's probably time to get a new disk.

cgbeige
11-30-2012, 11:53 PM
Windows is prone to flakiness and entropy. I still find it amazing how bad it is and it's almost invariably unable to fix itself when it actually has problems.

olson
12-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Windows is prone to flakiness and entropy. I still find it amazing how bad it is and it's almost invariably unable to fix itself when it actually has problems.

I won't argue with that but once a month sounds excessive. Something else is going on besides Windows being Windows.

Srek
12-01-2012, 10:58 AM
I won't argue with that but once a month sounds excessive. Something else is going on besides Windows being Windows.
Correct, this isn't an OS problem.

tuna
12-01-2012, 11:20 AM

Why do people still reply to cgbeige posts?

[e] in maya forum he's a kool dood but holy shit, in hardware, its basically drama and useless info (unless its an osx specific thread)

ThE_JacO
12-01-2012, 01:40 PM
While I can agree his post might be beside the point, and is potentially inflamatory, please refrain from directly attacking someone on the forums like this.

cgbeige
12-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as flippant but I'm just venting at my own rarely-used Windows rig flakiness. I'm not a fanboy just surprised it's still as bad as it is at self-maintenance and corruption-prone. I switched my helper render nodes back to Linux because of it

tswalk
12-01-2012, 09:24 PM
I read an article the other day that had an interesting hard drive manufacturer report regarding disk life cycles:

http://www.pdl.cmu.edu/ftp/Failure/CMU-PDL-06-111.pdf

the results are pretty interesting, but the "bathtub" curve holds relatively true...

CGTalk Moderation
12-01-2012, 09:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.