PDA

View Full Version : Why won't Windows activate?

Jb5k1
12-08-2003, 11:18 AM
HI all. I reformated my hd aboot a month ago, and instead of using xp home, I used my friends xp pro disk to install windows. Now everytime I log on, this stupid little window pops up saying I need to activate, and when I press ok, it says it's already been activated. Yet, the pop up dialogs and the little balloons by the taskbar are relentless. Is this some scheme by Micro$oft to make people buy more copies of windows?

UrbanFuturistic
12-08-2003, 12:09 PM
Well, duh! That copy of XP Pro has already been activated on your friend's computer. There is the slight issue that you don't actually have a valid license for XP Pro but for XP Home (which, yes, does cost 30% less OEM) so there's no point in complaining about not being able to activate a copy of Windows for which you haven't paid.

Much as I hate MS for their sharp business practices I still maintain that people should pay for the software they use.

Paul

Jb5k1
12-08-2003, 01:23 PM
So, does this mean that my computer won't work until I buy my own copy? Why does my copy of XP home work when I reinstall with it?

UrbanFuturistic
12-08-2003, 04:05 PM
"So, does this mean that my computer won't work until I buy my own copy?"

Yes

"Why does my copy of XP home work when I reinstall with it?"

Well, I imagine because it came with the computer and has therefore been paid for as part of the package as well as it already being registered with that particular computer's hardware configuration. It wouldn't work on your friend's computer, that's for sure.

Paul

Sieb
12-08-2003, 05:44 PM
Correct, your friend already authorized his copy of XP Pro on his computer meaning that CDkey for it is locked to his machine. Its to prevent people from pir8ting the OS and letting their friends install it on their machines...... No, seriously. :hmm:

Order an OEM copy from newegg.

Since XP Home was registered to your machine, and if its OEM, it doesn't ask for activation. OEMs like Dell buy licenses in bulk or use Volume license keys (VLKs) that don't require activation because they are specifically coded for OEM preinstall machines.

And, if you bought a copy of Home, it doesn't suffer as strict restrictions as Pro (3-4 hardware changes before reactivating, etc..).

moral of the story... Buy the software.:D

dvornik
12-08-2003, 06:59 PM
Personally I believe all piracy protection schemes are pointless. There is a simple workaround but you would need to consult Google since it would violate the rules of this forum to post or discuss it here.

imashination
12-08-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Jb5k1
HI all. I reformated my hd aboot a month ago, and instead of using xp home, I used my friends xp pro disk to install windows. Now everytime I log on, this stupid little window pops up saying I need to activate, and when I press ok, it says it's already been activated. Yet, the pop up dialogs and the little balloons by the taskbar are relentless. Is this some scheme by Micro$oft to make people buy more copies of windows?

Is someone giving out stupid pills?

Let me get this straight, you illegally install someone else's OS on your computer, which has already been registered, then shock horror, it tells you the software is already registered! Perhaps, and this is just a wild theory, but perhaps it claims to have been activated because it really has been previously activated. Mad I know, but somehow possible.

And yes, this is an evil scheme by MS to make you buy the software you use.

If you already had XP Home, what earthly advantage are you expecting XP Pro to give you? Maybe the word Pro was too tempting.

Jb5k1
12-08-2003, 07:45 PM
Imash, theres no need to be an a'hole aboot this. I just figured that if my xp home could be installed over and over, than why not xp pro, just... on a different system. Sorry, but I think that your comment was totally disrespectful. Just because I ask a dumb question doesn't mean I'm stupid.

Sorry, but I think a 14 year old kid who actually has a good social life and enjoys art, and can build a computer has something going for them, like me friends. Sorry to agetate you.

=_= EDIT =_=
O, and I've been told time and time again to never use a home edition, and that xp pro is less restricting.

imashination
12-08-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Jb5k1
Imash, theres no need to be an a'hole aboot this. I just figured that if my xp home could be installed over and over, than why not xp pro, just... on a different system. Sorry, but I think that your comment was totally disrespectful. Just because I ask a dumb question doesn't mean I'm stupid.

Sorry, but I think a 14 year old kid who actually has a good social life and enjoys art, and can build a computer has something going for them, like me friends. Sorry to agetate you.

=_= EDIT =_=
O, and I've been told time and time again to never use a home edition, and that xp pro is less restricting.

1) You can't install Pro because you don't own it. According to your nice little theory, only one person on the planet needs to buy windows, because everyone else is allowed to install it.

2) Im being disrespectful because you pirate software then ask on a busy professional forum why your dodgey software doesn't work. In my book that does qualify as being both dumb and stupid.

3) Who has told you never to use home edition? certainly not someone who knows what they're doing.

The reason im getting aggitated with you here is because you constantly ask painfully simple questions over and over again which would take about 10 seconds (literally 10 seconds) on google to answer. Take your flash memory question. Go to google.com and type in "What is flash memory" the very first link answers this clearly and fully, that would take the best part of 3 seconds to type and search.

I have no problem with helping others who are learning, christ, I'm a teacher, but when someone comes alone, whining that their pirate software doesn't work then they can go to hell as far as I care.

nrgy
12-08-2003, 08:37 PM
I agree with imashination, atleast 2/3 of most posts are simple questions that RTFM or GOOGLE.COM could solve. Posting on this forum should be for when ones spent atleast a little of their time searching on their own.

Jb5k1
12-08-2003, 08:40 PM
Understandable

I guess I'll reinstall xp home then
:banghead: :banghead: :deal:

o yea, does that mean when I build my new computer, that I'll need a new copy of windows? I'm guessing that it will. There is a reason that I think I should be able to re-use a copy of windows. I mean, I am buying it.

JHarford
12-08-2003, 09:05 PM
are you real?

leigh
12-08-2003, 09:20 PM

Wow that was totally OT :surprised

Jb5k1, please be sure to review the CGTalk Policy (http://www.cgtalk.com/policy.php) that you agreed to when you registered here, particularly the clause about Piracy.

Please don't do this again!

Thread closed.