PDA

View Full Version : LW8 manual/cd and box ?

sebek27
12-08-2003, 10:50 AM
i guess the upgrade will be a download ? do you think there will be an option to purchase the full box with cd/manual ?

retinajoy
12-08-2003, 10:59 AM
An option will be available to purchase the CD and hardcopy manual for a little extra. Some info somewhere on the Newtek forums about this.

leigh
12-08-2003, 11:20 AM
Yes there is an option. It's mentioned on the site. I think it costs a $100.

JCGA
12-08-2003, 11:30 AM
This is off topic but, does a moderators reply count as 2 replies. Not that I care, I'm just curious. I noticed it on this post when it said 2 replies but only one had replied.

leigh
12-08-2003, 12:38 PM
No it doesn't, Carl - I've been really puzzled trying to figure out this anomaly myself :surprised
I've never seen this happen before...

LittleFenris
12-08-2003, 01:40 PM
I'm guessing [8] will at least come with a PDF that I will be able to print out (at work ;))?

colkai
12-08-2003, 01:42 PM
YUP,
The 'online' help is normally a PDF.

I'd like the manual and CD, but the import duty and shipping to the UK will probably be such that it would cost considerably more than $100 for us UK wavers. :(

LittleFenris
12-08-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by colkai
YUP,
The 'online' help is normally a PDF.

I'd like the manual and CD, but the import duty and shipping to the UK will probably be such that it would cost considerably more than $100 for us UK wavers. :(

I say take the PDF to somewhere with a laser printer and have it printed that way. should be cheap and look great. then just burn the files onto a CD-R, add an autorun.inf file if you want it to startup when you put the CD in. That should cost you $2 at most with a fancy stick-on label you can make yourself. :thumbsup: So instead of $100 plus duties, spend like $10 and have basically the same thing. :buttrock:

colkai
12-08-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by VWTornado
I say take the PDF to somewhere with a laser printer and have it printed that way. should be cheap and look great.

Wow,
I guess printing in the USA is really cheap.
No kidding, I went to a printers to see about doing a guide for a wildlife centre I'm involved with.
25 sheets, double-sided colour.
Cost for *one* - £18.90
I can print the same at home, using 'genuine' ink on a photo printer with 100gsm paper for a third of that if not less.
Unless this place was rip-off merchant, I think it wouldn't work out cheap at all.
Of course, if someone in the UK knows differently, do let me know :D

LittleFenris
12-08-2003, 02:23 PM
Wow,
I guess printing in the USA is really cheap.
No kidding, I went to a printers to see about doing a guide for a wildlife centre I'm involved with.
25 sheets, double-sided colour.
Cost for *one* - £18.90
I can print the same at home, using 'genuine' ink on a photo printer with 100gsm paper for a third of that if not less.
Unless this place was rip-off merchant, I think it wouldn't work out cheap at all.
Of course, if someone in the UK knows differently, do let me know :D

Dont you have a laser printer at work (most offices here in the states have them)? Then its free to print. ;) If you plan it right, you can even print the manual on both sides of the paper and use half as much paper (odd pages on the first side, then flip the paper appropriately in the printer and print the even pages on the other side). You probably don't even need color, as the LW[7] manual is B&W anyways.

colkai
12-08-2003, 03:14 PM
Laser printer? here??
It's only a computer company you know - we don't do technology ;)

The scary thing is - I ain't kidding - my boss is the most technically clueless person I know. Most of our kit is cast-offs from when our clients upgrade. Our server is my bosses daughters old PC. (what was to be the server became her new one).

So nope, nothing like that here. My office PC is actually my old home P3 550 as prior to that, it was a P90 with a 850MB harddisk and 32MB of ram - whooa - speed machine ;)

LittleFenris
12-08-2003, 03:18 PM
ouch. I think you just need to move to the states. At least then you would be using PCs from at least the late 90's. ;) You guys don't have a Kinko's type of place? (kinkos is a copy store that can print large volumes of documents fairly cheap, plus do color copying, scanning, etc... http://www.kinkos.com )

retinajoy
12-08-2003, 03:27 PM
Laser printer? here??
It's only a computer company you know - we don't do technology ;)

The scary thing is - I ain't kidding - my boss is the most technically clueless person I know. Most of our kit is cast-offs from when our clients upgrade. Our server is my bosses daughters old PC. (what was to be the server became her new one).

So nope, nothing like that here. My office PC is actually my old home P3 550 as prior to that, it was a P90 with a 850MB harddisk and 32MB of ram - whooa - speed machine ;)

Poor you. Maybe you should get a new job. What were you using before the p90 with 32megs; the old BBC model B with 32k or Specky 48k.

Anyways, when Lightwave 8 is released there will be an option to purchase the manuals. I read somewhere (but can't rem where), that the UK manuals will be about 75 quid, but I could be wrong.

sebek27
12-08-2003, 04:12 PM
--ouch. I think you just need to move to the states. At least then you would be using PCs from at least the late 90's--

i think it's just one small company, you don't think there are companies in the US that use old pc's; trust me a lot of european countries have hitech stuff there that won't make it to us until a couple of years from now; as an example, they had video phones with sms systems a few years ago before it came out here :p

Jockomo
12-08-2003, 04:15 PM
I hope NewTek will put in the pdf copyright the right to run off a copy at kinkos. Sometimes they won't print a manual such as this due to copyright issues.

LittleFenris
12-08-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by sebek27
i think it's just one small company, you don't think there are companies in the US that use old pc's :p

Heck, my company has anything from a P2 300Mgz PC with Windows 98SE and a word processing program, to dual 1 Ghz G4 MACs with OS X 10.2.8 with Final Cut Pro, After Effects, etc...And honestly I hate the fastest MACs more than any of the others. :rolleyes:

sebek27
12-08-2003, 04:23 PM
wonder how much it will cost for Kinkos to do it.. it's probably over 1,000 pages; i'll email them

kurv
12-08-2003, 04:44 PM
NewTek has some really cool stuff in the works, donít worry you will love it!!

If the "reference" manual is PDF, why would you print the whole book, just print the section(s) you need...

sebek27
12-08-2003, 05:11 PM
my 7.5 is arriving tomorrow, can't wait :buttrock:

LittleFenris
12-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by wordwarepub
If the "reference" manual is PDF, why would you print the whole book, just print the section(s) you need...

Cause its easier to just print the whole thing and be able to use the table of contents and index to find what you need, that way you aren't printing little sections all the time, then eventually probably ending up with the whole manual anyways. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.