PDA

View Full Version : UI: toolBar missing 'floating' feature

Nyro
11-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Hey,

just a quick question about an issue I just came across:

While trying to use the toolBar layout for my UI, I noticed an incosistency with the control's actual behaviour as opposed to the description in the command documentation.

In the docs, it's explicitly stated that the toolBar layout acts like a dockControl and that it can be floated.
However, I am not able to float any of the existing toolBars nor my own UI when using that layout. Tearing them off their current area just minimizes them to a square-shaped control next to my cursor. Letting the mousebutton go simply docks them back to where they were (or to another area if I moved the mouse near enough).

I was looking forward to using the toolBar in place of the dockControl because the latter always has the 'resize-strip' of dots, whereas I don't need that and wanted a more consistent look like you get with the commandLine and helpLine toolBars in Maya's main UI.

Can anyone confirm this behavior? Am I missing something?
Perhaps the toolBar behaviour has changed in Maya 2012, or is there simply an error in the documentation?

Cheers for replying ;)

djx
11-29-2012, 01:42 AM
Yeah, same result here in 2013.
Do you think by "floating" they meant less like floating window and more like floating license, meaning you can only reposition or redock the toolbar by drag and drop within the allowed areas?

David

Nyro
11-29-2012, 11:11 AM
No, I think they cover that as well with this statement:

-- "Tool bars can be moved inside their current area, moved into new areas and floated."

What's more, I can't but keep thinking that I remember having been able to float a toolbar before. Maybe in a nother version of Maya, before the dockControl was introduced?

Google searches so far have yielded nothing helpful...

CGTalk Moderation
11-29-2012, 11:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.