PDA

View Full Version : dDo - Open beta

Disting
11-27-2012, 08:36 PM
http://quixel.se/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/beta1.jpg

Hello artists!

During this year we've kept very busy working on a new tool. We at Quixel are very proud to finally present dDo.

dDo Beta Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mEitpwGv3w&feature=g-user&hd=1)

http://quixel.se/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/hipoly1.jpg

dDo is a tool for speeding up everything repetitive about texturing, to enable a greater focus on design, polish and things that really matter. The idea is to provide a tool that pops into the standard texturing workflow, enabling automation without taking away control. Everything about dDo should always be customizable down to the detail!

http://quixel.se/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/160seconds.jpg

When can I try it?
We're inviting you all to beta test dDo. During this beta you will have full access to dDo and its functions.
Any and all feedback you provide is greatly appreciated.

Some links to get you started:

dDo site (http://quixel.se/ddo)
Feature overview (http://www.quixel.se/forum/content.php?158-dDo-Feature-Overview/view/1) (good ol' text)
Support forum (http://www.quixel.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?10-Support-amp-Feedback)

http://quixel.se/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/definition1.jpg

We can't wait to see what you come up with using dDo!

Best regards,
Team Quixel

ThE_JacO
11-27-2012, 09:57 PM
This kind of threads belongs to CGNews, not to general discussion, please.

leigh
11-27-2012, 11:57 PM
This looks like a really interesting tool, so I was pretty disappointed to see it's only for Windows!

Kanga
11-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Looks impressive. The brother of NDo?

ThE_JacO
11-28-2012, 12:40 AM
This looks like a really interesting tool, so I was pretty disappointed to see it's only for Windows!
Well, if the target client is game studios, it makes perfect sense.
A Linux port though would turn quite a few heads in film, the tool looks slick and it does have potential, I'm sure.

leigh
11-28-2012, 12:59 AM
I was thinking along the lines of OSX. It's all I have at home.

And no, I will not install Windows on a partition on any of my Macs.

ThE_JacO
11-28-2012, 03:05 AM

I imagined that much :)

It is objectively speaking a not-too-common platform in CGI though, at least as an exclusive one, so it usually doesn't sell you a lot of licenses unless it's mass market stuff or things that see a lot of individual use.

This seems more of a shop friendly tool than something individuals would use frequently and splash out for.

Dillster
11-28-2012, 03:19 AM
This looks amazing. To be able to do all this native in Photoshop is a big deal.

I downloaded the trial but haven't figured out where to find it when I open PS. I'll look tomorrow, it's middle of the night here now.

mattwood
11-28-2012, 12:47 PM
More votes for OSX. Unless its no use to all the Maya, Houdini and C4D users on the Mac side...

jkemp
11-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Agreed... this looks awesome, and Quixel should take a look at the possibility to port this tool (and nDo too) to other platforms.

Sure, it's not the biggest market, but you can't make a tool "essential" unless you make it available to everyone.

Beside, porting isn't a simple matter, but it's not like they had to recreate the whole thing.

Hoping for the best.

Katachi
11-28-2012, 01:37 PM

Why don't you install Windows on a partition on any of your Macs?

:D just kiddin..couldn't resist. ;)

thematt
11-28-2012, 03:25 PM
that's a seriously amazing product..congrats on the team! can wait to get my hand on it! cheers

Venkman
11-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Wow, looks fantastic. Is there a newsletter I can subrcibe to to make sure I keep up with the latest news on releases?

jasonhuang1115
11-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Speaking of film type of works, I am more curious how this tool can be integrated as part of texturing workflow for setting up based textures efficiently for downstream Mari (or Mudbox) painting....

eworc
11-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Why don't you install Windows on a partition on any of your Macs?

:D just kiddin..couldn't resist. ;)

That's actually a good question. Why would anyone limit themselves of the use of good software just because it's only currently available on a different OS. I had a mac mini where I installed Windows on a partion...so that I could use exsiting Windows software. I for one, would install OSX on a Windows PC, if it were a commerical option, to run software only available on that platform.

Team Quixel!....nice.

fisj
11-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Very interesting! There’s a lot of smart technology out there that could help remove a lot of drudgery in artist workflows. I’m glad to see Quixel is pushing the envelope.

Looking forward to see how this can be integrated into current pipelines. Nicely done guys!

leigh
11-28-2012, 08:36 PM
For one thing I absolutely despise Windows. And for another thing, I'm not forking out £150+ for an OS I hate, just so I can try a software beta.

I switched to Mac because 15 years of using Windows was enough for me. I'm not polluting any of my Macs with that flakey, unreliable bloatware.

Venkman
11-28-2012, 09:17 PM
For one thing I absolutely despise Windows. And for another thing, I'm not forking out £150+ for an OS I hate, just so I can try a software beta.

I switched to Mac because 15 years of using Windows was enough for me. I'm not polluting any of my Macs with that flakey, unreliable bloatware.

That's a shame. A lot has changed in 15 years, to the point where my self-built, bloat ware free PC is more stable than my Mac that cost twice as much.

Plus I never have to ask "mac version?" anymore. I got really tired of that.

Bullit
11-28-2012, 09:24 PM
I think it should be made more clearly that it is a Photoshop Plugin.

leigh
11-28-2012, 09:35 PM
That's a shame. A lot has changed in 15 years, to the point where my self-built, bloat ware free PC is more stable than my Mac that cost twice as much.

I honestly find that hard to believe. I own three Macs - none of them has ever crashed, had a hardware conflict, a driver conflict, a memory leak, or any kind of failure whatsoever. I can't say the same about any of the numerous Windows PCs that I used in all the years (which included a number of home-built, custom tailored high end boxes) before buying my first Mac six years ago. I don't miss PCs and their frustrations at all; I still have a good dual Xeon machine sitting unused in my home office, which I built to the tune of £3000 about eight years ago when I was working on film VFX for American studios from South Africa. And yet I abandoned this huge investment about four years ago after spending about £180 on the latest Windows release at the time (can't remember which one it was) which was getting rave reviews, only to never be able to complete the installation for some mysterious reason which I was never able to solve, despite numerous attempts to reinstall and troubleshoot. People criticise the Apple closed hardware loop, but that's what I like about them. They're predictable.

DutchDimension
11-28-2012, 11:06 PM
I honestly find that hard to believe. I own three Macs - none of them has ever crashed, had a hardware conflict, a driver conflict, a memory leak, or any kind of failure whatsoever. I can't say the same about any of the numerous Windows PCs that I used in all the years (which included a number of home-built, custom tailored high end boxes) before buying my first Mac six years ago. I don't miss PCs and their frustrations at all; I still have a good dual Xeon machine sitting unused in my home office, which I built to the tune of £3000 about eight years ago when I was working on film VFX for American studios from South Africa. And yet I abandoned this huge investment about four years ago after spending about £180 on the latest Windows release at the time (can't remember which one it was) which was getting rave reviews, only to never be able to complete the installation for some mysterious reason which I was never able to solve, despite numerous attempts to reinstall and troubleshoot. People criticise the Apple closed hardware loop, but that's what I like about them. They're predictable.

Hear hear! The less time I have to spend worrying about the computer/OS/drivers/etc. the more time I have using those damn things for what I bought them for in the first place.
Other folks want/love to faff around with their computers and that’s fine of course. But I don’t. I want them to work for me, not the other way around. Anything more than me clicking ‘OK' to the occasional ’Software Update’ is too much bother. Neither Windows and most definitely not Linux let me do that as effortlessly as OSX does. So in light of that, this dDo tool looks nice and I would like to see an OSX port. But if there isn’t, I won’t lose any sleep over it. My tool set is more sufficiently rounded out to let my creativity freely run it’s course. Each to their own! :thumbsup:

Venkman
11-28-2012, 11:50 PM

Huh - it sounds like we both have extensive experience with macs and PCs. The only stable mac I ever owned is a dual core, core 2 duo Mac Book Pro which is still going strong after 4 years, despite having a manufacturing defect in the nvidia graphics chipset. I had 4 G5's die on me in the same month back when those were made, and this month we had two mac minis and an imac die on us that are less than a year old. My Xeon Mac Pro is stable as long as I don't try to do actual work on it. it's fine as a render slave, though.

And of course, I had this little problem a while back:
http://i47.tinypic.com/uangx.jpg

The only truly stable PCs I've owned have been recently with windows 7. It really is something else. The odd thing is, you may find a bloatware free Windows 7 to be extremely stable on mac hardware. ;)

I know I won't convince you, so I won't try. It's just a shame you'll miss out on the tools posted by the OP. It looks like a lot of fun!

DutchDimension
11-29-2012, 12:19 AM
Huh - it sounds like we both have extensive experience with macs and PCs. The only stable mac I ever owned is a dual core, core 2 duo Mac Book Pro which is still going strong after 4 years, despite having a manufacturing defect in the nvidia graphics chipset. I had 4 G5's die on me in the same month back when those were made, and this month we had two mac minis and an imac die on us that are less than a year old. My Xeon Mac Pro is stable as long as I don't try to do actual work on it. it's fine as a render slave, though.

And of course, I had this little problem a while back:
http://i47.tinypic.com/uangx.jpg

The only truly stable PCs I've owned have been recently with windows 7. It really is something else. The odd thing is, you may find a bloatware free Windows 7 to be extremely stable on mac hardware. ;)

I know I won't convince you, so I won't try. It's just a shame you'll miss out on the tools posted by the OP. It looks like a lot of fun!

Stories like this always amaze me. In my 27 years of owning and using computers, both in personal life as well as my professional career (I lost count how many computers that makes) I only ever had one fail. One! And that was my first. A Commodore 64. :)

Honestly, what do you do with your machines to break so many? Kick them for luck?

DuttyFoot
11-29-2012, 03:12 AM
what an awesome product

eworc
11-29-2012, 03:28 AM
I own three Macs - none of them has ever crashed

No spinning wheel of death for you huh?

I wasn't suggesting anyone purchase Windows OS to just try this beta software. I was speaking cumulatively. There is and will be lots of software that is Windows OS only and it's a big plus to be able to utilize that large base...which includes new software that comes out, such as dDo.

Venkman
11-29-2012, 04:04 AM
Stories like this always amaze me. In my 27 years of owning and using computers, both in personal life as well as my professional career (I lost count how many computers that makes) I only ever had one fail. One! And that was my first. A Commodore 64. :)

Honestly, what do you do with your machines to break so many? Kick them for luck?

In the case of the dual g5 towers it was faulty logicboards and/or power supplies, and the cooling system on the one quad g5 we had. On the mac intel side, mac minis bricked after a software update (something to do with EFI update). iMacs have the same problem they always do: the screens.

Anyway, enough derailing of the thread on my part. I'll go quiet now. ;)

veljko-lemonade
11-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Love this software- looks amazing:)
what will be the retail price?

p.s. i smell a MAC/PC flame building here.
Leigh you should know better then to let this thread be kidnaped in this way, moving the spotlight from the software dDO, to a "i hate this software" discussion.

Allready there are more posts regarding windows/mac then regarding the software in question...

not cool

DePaint
11-29-2012, 10:40 AM

Windows 7 is surprisingly stable compared to older Windows releases.

I have two Windows 7 powered laptops, and neither has crashed or frozen on me in months.

Also, the horrible spyware/malware infections that plagued Windows XP in particular are completely gone.

Sure, you get the occasional hung/unresponsive application - explorer, firefox et cetera.

But its quite easy to kill and restart those with CTRL-ALT-DEL.

As for the actual product being advertised here, I watched the demo video, and it looks very, very promising to me!

I will give it a try when I have more time...

evakristjans
11-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Interesting. Looks impressive too. I'll give it a go when I find some free time.

KayosIII
11-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Leigh - I feel your pain - or at least I will if Adobe ever get around to porting to my platform...

As for the software how does it compare to something like Mari?

leif3d
11-29-2012, 08:31 PM
This looks pretty incredible. It seems to mix procedural and art directed workflows extremely convincingly.
At the very least it provides a base texture that's leaps and bounds ahead of anything you might be able to create in the same time frame.

The price point of $500 for corporations is steep though. It doesn't offer any painting capabilities, so you still have to rely on another texturing program for manual tweaking.
The freelance price of $250 is pretty good, but still a bit pricey.

I'll probably be buying this anyways...

eworc
11-29-2012, 10:28 PM
Leigh you should know better then to let this thread be kidnaped in this way

Seriously? It went from a point about why not keep options open for any OS if there is a proliferation of OS specific applications that are good, to Windows OS is a highway overpass made out of balsa wood. Let's be more accurate with that arrow veljko cause you need to do a 180.

charleyc
11-29-2012, 11:23 PM
I would like to hear reports from people who have used this. It seems like a useful tool, but I am making certain assumptions based on the videos. It would be cool to see video of someone using it as well.

As for the whole OS thing...for a home environment, it is nice to pick and choose what you think is the best for you and even believe that it is the best. But in most production environments, you will use whatever they have and it is generally based on what your primary tools run best in. On top of that I haven't worked at a facility yet that was exclusively one OS... predominately one, yes, but not exclusively. There always seem to be machines here and there with tools specific to an OS if they warrant the trouble. So while it would be cool to have all tools available in multiple OS's, I can understand why a developer, especially a small one, would only want to devote resources to one option. If the tool is worth it, it will be used.

ShinChanPu
11-30-2012, 07:14 AM
I'm speechless... it's absolutely awesome! :eek:

Congratulations!

vlad74
12-01-2012, 09:34 PM
This is a really good product. Will speed up our workflow a lot.

Leigh - you will definitely change your opinion about windows after trying version 7.

AbnRanger
12-04-2012, 02:22 AM
This looks pretty incredible. It seems to mix procedural and art directed workflows extremely convincingly.
At the very least it provides a base texture that's leaps and bounds ahead of anything you might be able to create in the same time frame.

The price point of $500 for corporations is steep though. It doesn't offer any painting capabilities, so you still have to rely on another texturing program for manual tweaking.
The freelance price of $250 is pretty good, but still a bit pricey.

I'll probably be buying this anyways...Same here. It is rather pricey...especially since it's one trick pony, relatively speaking. Was expecting it to be around what Octane Render is going for ($99). If all goes well in Beta, I will still probably buy it, though.

ambient-whisper
12-04-2012, 02:56 AM
Sure, you get the occasional hung/unresponsive application - explorer, firefox et cetera.

But its quite easy to kill and restart those with CTRL-ALT-DEL.

That will happen on mac too. Every mac user knows the spinning beachball of frozen death very well. Shit happens regardless of which os you use, or who makes the hardware.

On the Ddo, Ndo thing, I still think they should try and make their own tool instead of working purely with photoshop. Something along of Substance Designer, but more stable.

Disting
12-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Thank you all for your input and thoughts on dDo, we're all listening to what you have to say.

I wanted to let you know that we released a short overview tutorial on dDo yesterday, and you can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuVzQKJjKVo&hd=1

Again, thank you for your input, it's really valuable to us!

DePaint
12-04-2012, 10:53 AM
This looks like a really great tool for texture artists.

Maybe you guys are making the "Zbrush of Texture Creation" ? :thumbsup:

Good luck with this... Hope to see more cool stuff from you guys!

Roger Eberhart
12-05-2012, 03:55 AM
Something along of Substance Designer, but more stable.

So Substance Designer is a little buggy? I've been meaning to try it out. What version did you use? I thought it might be fun to compare it and dDo using the same game asset.

soulburn3d
12-06-2012, 06:08 PM
On the Ddo, Ndo thing, I still think they should try and make their own tool instead of working purely with photoshop.

I don't know, I think that's sorta a main advantage. If they tried to make their own paint package, then they'd spend the next 10 years of development trying to replicate all of the tools photoshop already has instead of adding new stuff that photoshop can't do.

- Neil

EightBit
12-07-2012, 05:29 AM
Incredible! The amount of CG stuff that is going realtime is mind blowing.

mister3d
04-25-2013, 08:21 AM
This is the buggiest software I ever encountered. Thy really need to polish it before selling.

sacslacker
04-25-2013, 09:26 AM
So Substance Designer is a little buggy? I've been meaning to try it out. What version did you use? I thought it might be fun to compare it and dDo using the same game asset.

I'm on 3.5.1 and Substance Designer pretty darn stable if you ask me. Great product, give it a shot.