PDA

View Full Version : My computer is running slow.....Over the

CameronC
12-08-2003, 05:02 AM
Over the past two days my computer has been running slow while playing PC games. I previously was able to run any game
at max settings and get a smooth framerate, now the framerate is choppy and slow no matter what game I play.

I scanned my computer for viruses and did
a system restore....but that stuff didn't work.
Anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this?

specs:
eMachines
1900+ Athlon XP
512MB RAM
XFX GeForceFX Ultra 5200

b.Schulz
12-08-2003, 05:04 AM
considerably slow? Maybe your hardware is getting really hot...? You could re-install everything...OS and all and then if it's still slow i'd say it had something hardware related. ?? I dunno though. Maybe someone else knows something better.

Shinova
12-08-2003, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by CameronC
Over the past two days my computer has been running slow while playing PC games. I previously was able to run any game
at max settings and get a smooth framerate, now the framerate is choppy and slow no matter what game I play.

I scanned my computer for viruses and did
a system restore....but that stuff didn't work.
Anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this?

specs:
eMachines
1900+ Athlon XP
512MB RAM
XFX GeForceFX Ultra 5200

Are you using the newest NVidia drivers?

I heard that the newest ones cause some of the FX series cards to have their fans stop working.

Check that out.

CameronC
12-08-2003, 05:20 AM
yeah, it's been running much slower. Thing is, it's only slow when running games.
I don't think it's because the hardware is running hot. From the moment I turn it on it's slow.

CameronC
12-08-2003, 05:26 AM
Are you using the newest NVidia drivers?

I heard that the newest ones cause some of the FX series cards to have their fans stop working.

Check that out.

i don't think i'm using new Nvidia drivers. The last time I installed drivers was 3 months ago.

But now that I think of it, I have been hearing weird off-and-on spinning sounds coming from my fan(at least i think it's the fan). It sounds like it's trying to start, and stops after a couple of seconds.

i hope my fan isn't dead, I've only had this computer for barely three months. :sad:

Shinova
12-08-2003, 05:52 AM
Well, take your case cover off and run the computer and do stuff that way (make sure no one's around to muck it up). If anything stops or does some weird thing, you'd know.

CgFX
12-08-2003, 06:25 AM
If the GPU is overheating because the fan is dead/stuck then it will run in reduced performance mode.

GregHess
12-08-2003, 12:57 PM
Btw,

You might want to check on your emachines warranty before you pop that case.

Last I checked, you voided the entire warranty if you take the case cover over.

Note the little sneaky metallic sticker on the side. (It breaks if you open the case).

CameronC
12-09-2003, 01:28 AM
i installed new drivers and now things are a bit smoother. I'm still experiencing choppyness but at least it's not as bad as before.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.