PDA

View Full Version : Michael Eisner's open letter to employees

RobertoOrtiz
12-08-2003, 03:43 AM
Quote:
"Dear Fellow Cast Member:

I'm writing to you from a plane on my way to Disneyland for tonight's annual employee Christmas party, having just wrapped up two days of regularly scheduled meetings with your Company's board of directors. As you might guess, the board spent a great deal of time reviewing the results of all our hard work, and it's a privilege for me to tell you that the creativity, innovation and dedication displayed by each of you are paying off.

Disney was not alone in its struggle to navigate the tough economic and international waters of late - companies and individuals across America and around the world have had to work harder and longer. At Disney, the countless hours our employees put in over the past year were certainly worth the effort, and I'm happy to report the results are extremely encouraging.

First, congratulations to The Walt Disney Studios on making industry history by becoming the first studio to surpass $3 billion in global box office receipts for 2003. With Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Finding Nemo, Freaky Friday, Bringing Down the House and a string of other great Disney/Touchstone films paving the way, the studio has enjoyed a phenomenal year. In home entertainment, the benefits of increased DVD player penetration and the tremendous strength of our content have brought us recent record-breaking sales for The Lion King and Finding Nemo DVD releases. In fact, the combined current releases of Finding Nemo and The Lion King have already exceeded 30 million units, and yesterday's Pirates of the Caribbean DVD release is already off to a tremendous start.

The ABC Television Network team has made solid progress with its prime time schedule. Over the last 2-1/2 years, the network has successfully added an unprecedented 10 comedies to its primetime schedule. Versus regular competition, all 10 of ABC's comedies rank either first or second in their respective time periods in the key Adult 18-49 sales demographic (eight rank #1 and two rank #2). Just as important, these young comedies are building blocks that will form the groundwork for the future of the network. While there is clearly more work that needs to be done, we are pleased with the results the ABC team has shown thus far. In cable, ESPN's ratings were up 13% in 2003, and ESPN and ESPN2 had their highest viewership ever in October, up 39% over the same month last year. Disney Channel had its best year ever with ratings up 47% among Kids 6-11, propelling the network to #1 among Kids 6-14. Disney Channel has also evolved into a new engine of creative and franchise development with the introduction of new Company-wide properties such as Kim Possible, That's So Raven, Stanley and Lizzie McGuire. And we are equally focused on delivering growth from our other cable assets, including ABC Family, Toon Disney, our international Disney Channels and SOAPnet. "
>>link<< (http://www.animated-news.com/archives/00000417.html)

-R

Per-Anders
12-08-2003, 03:57 AM
sorry is this a letter to the (remaining) employee's or the investors?

Stahlberg
12-08-2003, 05:09 AM
Both, I expect, and to their pontential customers. I suppose he's defending himself publically. Quoting Walt (what gall, as a reply to critique from the Disney family)... But he's not mentioning anything about their own animation productions, just blabbing about merchandise, live-action, other companies' work, parks, etc. Sounds a bit desperate to me.

BNicolucci
12-08-2003, 06:37 AM
It begins!
http://www.savedisney.com

amygdalae
12-08-2003, 07:47 AM
We still have a lot of work ahead, but I could not be more confident in the team we have to meet these challenges. And we will not be distracted from what has been and must remain our sole focus - delivering growth and shareholder value.

Isnt that the problem?

They dont focus on creating any interesting stories anymore. It's all about expanding product lines, maximizing shareholder returns on minimal investments. Shouldnt creativity be their focus?

It's really sad for me to have seen Disney become such a heartless enterprise.

mattregnier
12-08-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by BNicolucci
It begins!
http://www.savedisney.com

I don't see how that can be a real site. Looks too sloppy and unprofessional for someone of that caliber...

Neil
12-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by RobertoOrtiz
Quote:
"Dear Fellow Cast Member:

I'm writing to you from a plane on my way to Disneyland for tonight's annual employee Christmas party

Nice way to open a letter. And nice job taking credit for Nemo, and not even mentioning Pixar.

I don't see how that can be a real site. Looks too sloppy and unprofessional for someone of that caliber...

It's not, just some fanboys...

"The opinions expressed in the postings on this website are those of the authors of the postings and do not necessarily reflect the views of Shamrock, Roy E. Disney or Stanley P. Gold"

t-toe
12-08-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Neil
It's not, just some fanboys...

"The opinions expressed in the postings on this website are those of the authors of the postings and do not necessarily reflect the views of Shamrock, Roy E. Disney or Stanley P. Gold"

I think that line is in regards to the postings in the forums, not the home page itself.

WhiteRabbitObj
12-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Just resign already Eisner. Yeesh.

My Fault
12-08-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by mattregnier

They aren't trying to appeal to web designers, but the regular shareholders out there who, and I'm not trying to be mean here, get confused by anything but straight vanilla web links.

And if you had taken a few minutes to check, you would see that the site is managed by Shamrock Holdings, which as anyone who knows the Disney family knows, helps advise them. Sorry to be so curt, but your post was just a wee bit too negative for me. This is a time we should be supporting efforts to change Disney, not huck rocks :thumbsup:

Mr_Smee
12-08-2003, 04:20 PM
The domain name is owned by Shamrock Holdings Inc. Roy Disneys company.

Originally posted by mattregnier

NightSky
12-08-2003, 06:30 PM
Whether the website is Roy's or not, Eisener's letter is still a poorly-written political gesture. He mentions Finding Nemo as a Disney product, but everyone knows that Disney just produces Pixar's stuff. John Lassiter used to be an animator at Disney, so he naturally made ties with them from the begginning, but now it seems that Disney (Eisener & Friends) is more concerned with the money flow rather than the quality of the product. If Pixar was really owned & opperated by Disney (Eisener & Friends), then I doubt it would be turning out such great inspirational & creative films.

Also, the networks this season are getting a bunch of mud for their new shows, so it was surprising to here ABC's new shows mentioned.

My 2 franks worth.

~James Allen

pthomas72
12-08-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by amygdalae
Isnt that the problem?

It's really sad for me to have seen Disney become such a heartless enterprise.

Uh.. wait.
Im sure your a really nice and I dont want to sound like a know it all a**hole but, Disney has been the "corprate" poster boy for almost 40 years. Even more during Lion king and all the other hits. When were people crying corprate monster then?

I would have to argue they are tripping becuase they are just drying up creativley. the competition is beating them from every direction, talent is leaving for better jobs, and the old men at the top have made choices to inovate 10 years too late.

dont know the future just read about the past

NightSky
12-08-2003, 09:25 PM
Walt Disney himself was a very shrewd business man, cutting corners & costs if he could, making his animators use pencils down to the nub & making them sign for more, but he knew the final product's quality was the most important. This is something that we've seen leave the Disney name in the last 10 or so years. The reason talent is leaving for other jobs is the lack of creative aura that once was Disney.

~James Allen

BoydLake
12-08-2003, 09:45 PM
"Bringing Down the House" is an example of successful film projects at Disney? Did it make money? You gotta be kidding me! Other than Nemo and Pirates... Nothing else on their list of films was worth watching this year. Coupled with the on-again-off again-on-again decisions to do or not do their own CG productions, and dump 2d..... I don't think Eisner is capable of making the decisions anymore for Disney.... first thing I'd do is sell Touchstone and ABC..... Then I'd buy Pixar..... or at least as much of it as they'd sell me.

Neil
12-08-2003, 10:05 PM
I saw this while shopping and well according to this box of cereal, Disney is still the original and the best. Or maybe they just mean Lion King is the original and best... uhh... but it's not an original either, i'm confused :hmm:

http://www.sonicubegames.com/neil/lionking.jpe

My Fault
12-08-2003, 10:09 PM
Or maybe it's that they use real lions to make their corn flakes. Mmmmmm, savannahalicious!

Phearielord
12-08-2003, 11:07 PM
I cant do anything by shake my head....:rolleyes:
I guess some ppl will be suitably impressed by the figures presented in that letter, but it only shows how much they care about money, rather than the actual movies.....

My opinion of Eisner just dropped another notch...

Slurry
12-08-2003, 11:28 PM
Merry Christmas...money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money...You are the creative people that make Disney great...money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money...

Record box office receipts of $3 billion and how many people were laid off? I hate when big corporations do that.

You would think they would be able to subsidise the Feature Animation dept. After all, they are/were the foundation of everything that is currently Disney.

How does he sleep at night? On a mattress filled with money no doubt.
:sad:

~S

NightSky
12-08-2003, 11:34 PM
He sleeps on the backs of those still working hard at Disney.

Neil
12-09-2003, 01:43 AM
OT: How did Brother Bear end up doing overall? Was it seen as a flop or not? I don't think it's playing around here anymore.

Fasty
12-09-2003, 02:17 AM
No wonder these two didn't get along.

Michael "Greed" Eisner: "And we will not be distracted from what has been and must remain our sole focus - delivering growth and shareholder value. "

Roy "Art and Vision" Disney: "I thank you for your concern about this wonderful Company founded by my father and uncle more than 80 years ago whose sole motivation was to provide lasting and wholesome entertainment to people around the world."

Seeing how much money the artists and visionaries at Pixar are making and how much respect they have as a corporation, I know which camp I'd prefer to invest in.

Emmanuel
12-09-2003, 02:01 PM
The problem I have with this whole 2d-animation-debacle is:
Disney started to produce boring stuff and a company like Dreamworks
has to deal with the results of this.
The audience seems to "punish" 2d features like "Spirit" and "Sinbad".
Yesterday I watched Sinbad on DVD, and boy, I had a good lough, it was so much more entertaining than Atlantis or Treasure Planet.
Too bad it failed at the box office :(
Dreamworks is better than Disney, better characters, better plots, my kind of humour.

Nemoid
12-09-2003, 07:54 PM
I am sorry to say this, and sorry for all animators wich worked at Disney, but Disney recently were/are making stories for supposed stupid kids, while they actually want more interesting stories.

Watch a movie like Spirited Away and you will know what kids want to see.also i think the latest Looney toons movie will be very good for kids. Pixar products are far superior to recent Disney animated movies because they are well made. finding Nemo, in particular was amazing even for adults (and some scenes were quite scaring too)so you see, it isn't the matter of 2d or 3d output and look, but of making a really interesting and funny product.

NightSky
12-09-2003, 10:52 PM
Nemoid & Emmanuel, I think you both hit the spot perfectly. The reason that Disney films were so good in the beginning was the storytelling. Animation isn't all about how smoothly the characters look onscreen, or how well it was animated, but about the story & the characters. Look at Southpark. It's horribly animated when you compare to well-drawn Disney characters, but the timing for each element is perfect, and the stories & characters are both believable (not necessarily realistic) and entertaining. Dreamworks, along with Pixar, Rythem & Hues & other up-and-coming animation studios realize the importance of good storytelling. One can see from the various special effects-laden live-action films that have come out that the best special effects don't make the movie great (you know the movies I'm talkin about).

~James Allen

Emmanuel
12-10-2003, 09:11 AM
What puzzles me besides the story thing is that "the audience" is a quite strange mixture and, as usually, very hard to catch.
People I talked to LOVED Nemo, they LOVED Monsters Inc, but even my
teacher at art college said "why don't they get the humans right even in NEMO ? Look at Final Fantasy!".
I "tought" my teacher that Pixar chooses not to aim for that.
So on on hand, the audience accepts CG-animated features, on the other hand they don't seem to realize the difference in *style* between
FF and Nemo.
Its obvious that PIXAR could do photorealistic humans, but they would probably not fit into the visual style of their current films.
And I heard that same complaint of various people, which made me rise an eyebrow, because after the success of NEMO, I thought the audience "got it", but now, I am not so sure if it isn't just a temporary hype because its trendy and "looks cooler than Snowhite".
The further explanation was "They got this photorealistic water, why can't they get the humans photorealistic ?"
Maybe I really overestimated the audience in this...
Some of those I talked to seem to expsect something like "Roger Rabbit" where photoreal 3D animation meets real actors...who knows...

ant-
12-10-2003, 09:53 AM
I think eisner is really seeing everything through rose tinted glasses, every move they make is to try and be more like Pixar, meanwhile pixar is going the right way and becoming more like the old disney.

The rummor is that disney is starting a 2d animation studio, when all the animation desks and light box's got cleared out of disneys and dreamworks after they decided to ditch 2d. Guess who came to buy them? PIXAR, and guess who has apprently been employing the staff disney have been letting go, thats right PIXAR.

while i dont agree that just story or just visual style can make a movie, i dont think disney have been getting either right recently. (but its got to be said story has suffered a lot)

I personally would love to see Pixar make a 2d movie, but it may also kill off disney animation. I cant see how they can compete in the 3d enviroment, they are following the crowd when they should be leading it

HeinoEisner
12-10-2003, 02:14 PM
As with all big corps. and goverments with lots of paper work, they move slow and loses its free mind to make good work.

Perhaps its only a good thing that they get a fist in the face while the disney corp still have money to change the way they earn money.

And i dont think the board of directors at disney is stupid and hopefull they will wake up and make good stuff. I'll cross my fingers and hope so.

- Heino Eisner

Mr_Smee
12-10-2003, 04:33 PM
Exactly! I always thought that Pixar right now is similar to Disney of the 40's 50's etc. They just have that all around "magic" that Disney used to have.

When I was a kid and heard a Disney animated feature was coming out I was ready to go see it that day. Maybe I'm older but I don't feel that way towards Disney anymore. Pixar yes.

I don't think Eisner realizes this. I think Disney was creative first then realized or hoped that the money would follow which it did. Eisner is just about the dollar.

Originally posted by ant-
I think eisner is really seeing everything through rose tinted glasses, every move they make is to try and be more like Pixar, meanwhile pixar is going the right way and becoming more like the old disney.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.