PDA

View Full Version : Problem w/ NTOSKRNL.EXE corrupting

singularity2006
12-08-2003, 04:23 AM
This is the third time I've formatted my system because of problems appearing after a boot screen error (non blue screen but gray screen before u get the blue one), that says:

"SYSTEMROOT\SYSTEM32\NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupted. Please replace this file with a newer copy"

Then upon turning off the system and booting it back up, it works fine. Eventually, after about 4 months, the OS starts really falling apart. The first thing to go is usually Explorer.... freezes up, locks when copying files, closing folders, etc. Then Windows Media dies out.... then the whole system has turned to sludge. I've recently replaced my HD with a brand new Seagate Baracude 4 60GB retail box to replace my 40. Both still work, but I thought i was getting corruption from that. Guess not. Anyhow, the stats:

Windows 2000 SP4
Athlon XP 2600+ on Soyo Dragon Ultra Platinum KT400
512MB single stick of Mushkin PC2700 (wtf is up w/ PC3200 being so much cheaper than 2700??)
ATI Radeon 8500LE vid card.
And I'm running on NTFS

I can't think of anything else that might be relevant. ANyhow, this time that the message came up, it was after a power outage. So I'm guessing something went wrong from that in this instance.... but the other times, I can't think of why it happened. Any ideas on why this particular file keeps getting corrupted?

Jb5k1
12-08-2003, 12:13 PM
Instead of reformatting, you might want to try and repair windows. Just boot with the windows disk instead of the hd, and when the windows install comes up, you'll probably have to press [r] or something. Just read through it. That's what I do before I reformat.

GregHess
12-08-2003, 12:48 PM
sing,

Though I know I hammer it in all the time....

Check the ram first. :)

http://www.memtest86.com

2-3 passes, normal tests.

Otherwise just follow jb5k1's advice.

singularity2006
12-08-2003, 06:17 PM
I'll definitely take a look @ RAM.

And as for the Windows repair, I've had nothing but problems w/ that. It has a funny habit of installing over my current windows, resetting my registry and start menu and everything to default, sending my system into more of a mess. It likes creating new blank NT.USER profiles too. :shrug:

Oh well, mem test here I go.....!:beer:

ristopuukko
12-09-2003, 06:09 AM
" And as for the Windows repair, I've had nothing but problems w/ that. It has a funny habit of installing over my current windows, resetting my registry and start menu and everything to default, sending my system into more of a mess. "

I think there's an option in w2k repair-setup , where you can
choose which parts of your setup will be overwritten...

it's been awhile since I did one (w2k repair-setup, I mean) and
I don't recall exactly how to get to this option screen but
if one would check MS technet (or someother evil nest)....

I'm sure there's an answer...

/risto

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.