PDA

View Full Version : cool look at bury brawl seen from Reloaded!

Antonbomb22
12-08-2003, 03:28 AM
click the link to see the entire bury brawl from wires to fully rendered.

link:
http://whatisthematrix.warnerbros.com/vfx/rl_cmp/vfx_main.html

urgaffel
12-08-2003, 03:32 AM
http://whatisthematrix.warnerbros.com/vfx/rl_cmp/choose.html

Direct link to the different versions. Good find

Antonbomb22
12-08-2003, 03:33 AM
thanks urgaffel

eliseu gouveia
12-08-2003, 03:55 AM
Thatīs great work right there!:thumbsup:

Supervlieg
12-08-2003, 08:39 PM
Those low poly models are hilarious. Great to see it like this.

NightSky
12-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Granted I'm still a student, but doesn't it seem like the scenery is sub-divided an ungodly amount? The concrete seems like it has several million poly's just for a flat surfice. Because the scene is shot in such fast motion, you would probably only need at-render displacement maps for the concrete. Will someone please enlighten me?

~James Allen

Dargon
12-08-2003, 09:52 PM
It looks like the original few seconds are from a point-cloud scan of the real environment, and then they've overlayed the modeled environment on top of that.

NightSky
12-08-2003, 10:04 PM
The only thing is though, why would they go to all the trouble to put the high-poly scanned environment in the promotional wire-frame video if it was just used as a modelling guide? Unless they thought it looked cooler & regular audiences would like the high-poly wireframe better than the actual lower poly version. It all seems very interesting, I don't mean to be such a noobie:hmm:

~James Allen

Dirtystimpy
12-08-2003, 10:13 PM
sweet find!

Neil
12-08-2003, 10:49 PM
I thought there was more real life compositing done, i didn't realize there was that much CG there :)

Mwai Kasamale
12-08-2003, 11:57 PM
The 2 sequels pride themselves on taking photogrammetry to the n-th level. The reason they scanned the real environment was to extract colour and texture, the geometry is used as a guide to re-model lighter geometry because the measurements from the scan are accurate to whatever degree the chose (likely to the millimetre).

Many scenes were dealt wih this way because of their "Lighting Toolkit" which requires this data (color and texture) in order to reproduce the lighting from the real environment. Very Impressive:thumbsup: but not all that new. Its the first time its ever been brought together in a Movie. All the tools were avaliable to do it all already but were never compiled into a process to make them produce what their individual parts could.

NightSky
12-09-2003, 12:01 AM
Very cool stuff, although it kinda takes the art out of replicating environments. Thanks for elaborating!

~James Allen

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.