PDA

View Full Version : Video tutorial - DrivenShapes

Soeren Nielsen
12-08-2003, 02:40 AM
Been finishing this little tutorial tonight, on how to make the rotation of a bone, control the weight of a Shape.
Its about 8 minutes long, and weighs at around 10mb.
Using the Techsmith codec which can be found here (http://www.techsmith.com/products/studio/codecdownload.asp)

so without further ado.
tutorial (http://www.thejaco.com/tempstuff/soeren/XSIDrivenShape.avi)

Many thanks to Jaco for hosting the file, and giving some pointers here and there.
Hope you like it. Its been fun to make, so if there are any topics you would like covered in a video tut, I might take a crack at it.

Have fun

SheepFactory
12-08-2003, 02:49 AM
thanks man , keep em coming.

For the rest of you who are watching , i'll post a english translated version soon.

/me hides from soerens wrath :)

Soeren Nielsen
12-08-2003, 02:51 AM
I was counting on compressing this in sorenson format, but Im afraid I will have to go hunt down Sheepfactory and kill him. So if anyone else is up for the job, please do make a mov version.

Sheep you are so dead! :bounce:

ThE_JacO
12-08-2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Sheep Factory

For the rest of you who are watching , i'll post a english translated version soon.

surely you meant AN english version, didn't you ? :p

rock on Soeren, don't mind the nitpickers ;)

SheepFactory
12-08-2003, 02:58 AM
lol i am busted :D , bad time to mess up the grammar

ray
12-08-2003, 03:07 AM
Soeren cheers for that, there should be more video tutorials like this, I hope there will be soon.

They seem to make the information just ooze into the brain!

Oh, and don't listen to the grammar-esthetes! :p

rc

Soeren Nielsen
12-08-2003, 04:14 AM
Uh I wont, especially when the english speaking guys, dont have their own grammar right :rolleyes: hehe

anyways, I had a little fun with it on a model of mine Im working on
it was quick and dirty, not more than 5 minutes to set up.. but here you can see what you can use it for besides the typical bicep flex thingy
jawfun (http://members.lycos.co.uk/fainted/jawfun.mov)

:wip:

katakana
12-08-2003, 01:59 PM
Very nice tutorial, Here i been doing it the hard way. Your instuctions are very easy to follow.

Iysun
12-08-2003, 07:51 PM
thanks that was welll done, id love to see more:D

I'd personly like to see something on soft bodies applied with and envelope on a mesh, as i can never get good results

ggg
12-09-2003, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by AnotherHell
thanks that was welll done, id love to see more:D

I'd personly like to see something on soft bodies applied with and envelope on a mesh, as i can never get good results
applying softbody to an intermediate deforming null or cage deformer for envelopes,
produces much better controlable localized(relative to specific anatomy) results

lebigmuff
12-09-2003, 01:38 PM
Just a note of appreciation for your clear tutorial.

I was wondering if there was a reason you used save shape key instead of store shape key?

Anyway it was really helpful

thanks

muffy

ThE_JacO
12-09-2003, 02:34 PM
store simply stores a shape source.
save stores the shape source, creates a shape compound in the mixer, and instances that source to a clip inside the compound.

it simply saves you some steps and helps making several compounds, for different shape blocks, a quicker task.

why Soeren used it I don't know, I'm a control freak so I usually create just the sources and sort them out in mixers myself, but it does make sense, especially to avoid also dragging sources in the mixer etc. that would add to the explanation time

LNT
12-10-2003, 03:58 AM
hi soeren,good to see ya! :)

btw I want to have a look at this but for some reason I cannot download the avi,it never starts

do you have an html version of it?

Soeren Nielsen
12-10-2003, 04:18 PM
hi LNT, been a while.

Ill see if I can put it into sfw or something like that, I know Kaiskai did so, even tho it only supports 16000frames, but he got down 37minutes of that stuff, so he must know something I dont :)
You have the TSCC codec and all ?

LNT
12-10-2003, 08:09 PM
yeah I've got the codec and all but the download simply wouldnt start but hey (!) it does now :buttrock:

must've been my ISP or something...hope I'll be able to download the whole thing this time,if not I'll report back :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.