PDA

View Full Version : Building Monster Workstation Help...

tolcha
11-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Hi...
Im trying to build a multimedia monster workstation.Im using 3ds max, Zbrush, Vue and some compositing softwares like nuke and after effects.What will be the best for me to work and rendering with that softwares easily(like huge architectural scenes or rendering animations)
I bought
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Kingston Hyperx 240 gb SSD
Xigmatek Elysium Tower
Creative Soundblaster Titanium HD

Now i will choose the most important parts
Motherboard : Im thinking about Evga SR-X (But maybe it is not a good idea because i dont know how affects the performance?Please help about it.)
Processor : If i choose Evga it will be dual xeon or i7 extreme with single cpu motherboard
Ram:4x8 gb but i dont know which one and why?
Also help me about psu and cooling system

Dont think about the cost(but im not as rich as to have a renderfarm:)) build your monster workstation specifications in here please...

Thank you for your help...

sentry66
11-22-2012, 08:01 PM
the current two monster setups are either a dual xeon 2687w or an overclocked 4.5-4.8ghz i7 3930k.

Which is better depends on what do and what your budget is. the i7 system easily can cost half or 1/3 as much as the dual xeon.

IMO if you're going to build a dual xeon system and just use one processor, don't bother and go with an overclocked i7 because it'll be faster. By the time you buy a 2nd processor, it won't drop in price when faster models come out and it'll be obsolete anyway.

tolcha
11-23-2012, 07:44 AM
Is Evga SR-X useful for that idea?At the begining i can buy a single i7 and maybe later i can upgrade to dual xeon without changing motherboard.Good idea.Thanks.

What do you think about Evga SR-X? I heard some memory problems about it.Do you know anything about it?

sentry66
11-23-2012, 09:23 AM
I don't know much about SRX's memory issues, if it has them.

what xeon CPU are you looking at? The dual CPU capable xeons are fairly pricey. I'm not sure I'd personally buy a dual xeon board right now just to put one CPU in it when I could have a faster i7 for less money.

By the time you get the money to buy a 2nd xeon processor, you could build a 2nd newer i7 system.

jojojo
11-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Speaking of monster-workstation I recently saw this neat upcoming Intel board for 4 Xeon E5 4600 an 2 Xeon Phi cards for a total of 160 cores!:
http://www.macbidouille.com/news/2012/11/23/intel-va-bientot-presenter-sa-carte-mere-xeon-phi

olson
11-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Speaking of monster-workstation I recently saw this neat upcoming Intel board for 4 Xeon E5 4600 an 2 Xeon Phi cards for a total of 160 cores!:
http://www.macbidouille.com/news/2012/11/23/intel-va-bientot-presenter-sa-carte-mere-xeon-phi

Comparing the Phi "cores" to a Xeon is like comparing apples to oranges. They are not the same thing at all. If you want a lot of processor cores that can actually run the software you already use look at the Opteron processors which can be configured with up to 64 processor cores per motherboard (actual cores, not Hyper-threading or virtual cores).

jojojo
11-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Sorry luke, I didn't think it really serious but found it more kinda grotesque....errr, monstrous :-)

CGTalk Moderation
11-26-2012, 11:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.