PDA

View Full Version : workstation

Svingha
01-21-2002, 02:00 PM
hi
i'm searchin for a new workstation, but i don't exactly know which parts are good for my demands. i want to by an amd athlon 1ghz+, an asus amd board wirth raidlevel 0 for 2 fast harddisks, a oxygen vx1 and lot of ram. are there alternatives or better hardware for this price?

epatnor
01-21-2002, 02:22 PM
I will probably never use a workstation again unless it's got an AMD XP+ in it... It's capable of pulling some mean vertices! I'm going for the Athlon XP 2000+ next. :)

As long as you can fill it with 1-2GB RAM you'll have something worth spending your 3D time on... ;)

As for type of computer, I mean vendor and so on, I think that the possibility of putting a 4X AGP Pro graphics card is another main factor to consider. The possibility I say... ($$$) :)

Otherwise --- I for one like to build my own computers. I just gotta tweak them 2 da max...! :p

But as the Athlon generates ALOT of heat, we have the cooling problem... That's the drawback of OC... ;)

Cheers!

//Patrik

Svingha
01-21-2002, 02:42 PM
perhaps is workstation the wrong word. i need a new computer to realize some 3d work, i don't want to realize big projects like final fantasy. i want a pc especially for 3d work with a relative short render time. i know this is difficult to decide because everyone has other demands, someone needs a lot of textures the other something else. which parts are advisable?

Cyrus
01-28-2002, 06:35 PM
About that tweakin stuff I just read a article about a OC P4, it whent from 2.2Ghz to 3.1Ghz I think it was tomhardware guide or something

MadMax
01-31-2002, 10:05 PM
Your best bet in athlon boards would be the Epox 8K7A+

it has onboard raid is very tweaker freindly and extremely stable and reliable.

Asus A7M266 is also a good board, but doesn't have the raid.

Avoid VIA chipsets. They are plagued with problems. AMD760 based boards do use VIA southbridge chips, however the real problems come from boards using the VIA Northbridge chip.

While Tom's hardware had an interesting article on OC'ing, bottom line is that the P4 Northwood even with almost 1ghz. advantage still doesn't beat the Athlon by very much at twice the price.

Cyrus
02-01-2002, 12:13 PM
That's true, the Northwood 2.2Ghz was just as good as an Athlon XP 2000+ (1.667Ghz) Northwood had some better rates but not much

Jean Eric
02-01-2002, 03:45 PM
As for the graphic hardware, I'd forget about the VX1. This is a dinosaur. Instead, I'd look into the nVidia solutions. BTW, nVidia is scheduled to announce some major new products in the next few days for 'Media Professionals' or something like it. I'd wait a few more days and see what nVidia has in stock for us...

Svingha
02-01-2002, 06:44 PM
what is about the softquadro mod. ? have i the same performance with a modified gf2 like a quadro dcc card apart the frequenze? does the modified card work correctly with the 3d apps?

MadMax
02-01-2002, 08:29 PM
the Softquadro patch works great. There appear to be no problems associated with using it. I have been running it for about 4 months.

Svingha
02-04-2002, 01:18 AM
i've lost the overall view. if i modify a gf2 card with softquadro, i'll get a dcc or a quadro card? i'm not sure because the dcc is based on the gf3 core. so are there modified cards below the dcc things? can i notice a "real" difference between modified gf2 and gf3 cards apart from the ram?

MadMax
02-04-2002, 01:35 AM
the software patch will make it a Quadro.

Not DCC.

Cyrus
02-04-2002, 02:18 PM
What's the deal with SoftQuadro? What does it do for the card? Does it add more gpu instructions or what?

Svingha
02-04-2002, 08:15 PM
with softquadro you can change your gf2 mx/ultra/pro/gts to a quadro card. the difference between gf2 and a quadro card is, that the chip on the cards signals your system through an id-number if it's quadro or geforce. of course quadro cards have often more ram and a higher frequency but both cards have the same hardware technology.

Martin-K-
02-05-2002, 07:36 PM
the difference with the quadros though is that their refresh is better, and enable some extra options for 3d apps like overlays, unified back/depth buffer . ofcourse this means nothing to you unless your using maya, mirai, or equivalent. most other apps you can survive without softquadro.
but thing is..overlays are being slowly phased out of 3d apps ive noticed. with maya removing the need for overlays when using artisan, the next mirai no longer needing overlays for selections, etc.

Cyrus
02-06-2002, 04:04 PM
I use Max 3.1 so I wouldn't have any advantage if I installed SoftQuadro? They are almost identical http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/00q2/000515/opengl-21.html

I have Geforce2 GTS

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.