PDA

View Full Version : Oren Ishii’s Revenge: Production IG on the Kill Bill Anime Sequences

Leonard
12-07-2003, 10:21 PM
Hi all,

I recently interviewed Production IG in Japan about the anime sequences that they just completed for Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill Volume I. We've put together this short exposition and commentary on the work they did which involved mostly traditional animation with a lot of post work in After Effects for layering the elements.

>> Oren Ishii’s Revenge: Production IG on the Kill Bill Anime Sequences << (http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=1824)

http://www.cgnetworks.com/stories/2003_12/killbill/kb09.jpg

http://www.cgnetworks.com/stories/2003_12/killbill/kb05.jpg

http://www.cgnetworks.com/stories/2003_12/killbill/kb02.jpg

Best,

Leo

dwin
12-07-2003, 10:33 PM
Great work!!! It's nice :thumbsup:

Antonbomb22
12-07-2003, 11:02 PM
i love this anime sequence in the movie. great work they did but i dont remember seeing an anime sequence with "The Bride" in it

ilasolomon
12-07-2003, 11:10 PM
Teo, We LOVE you! :D

DZL
12-07-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Antonbomb22
i love this anime sequence in the movie. great work they did but i dont remember seeing an anime sequence with "The Bride" in it

i'm guessing that this sequence is in the next volume.

can't wait...

ppself
12-07-2003, 11:52 PM
yea this was really cool i liked it when i saw it.

fallencat
12-08-2003, 12:28 AM
the animations was the best part of the movie ! once I saw it, I know it must be them "Production IG" ...

great interview ;)

JeT
12-08-2003, 01:05 AM
The animation sequence had this wonderful roughness about it, in the line drawings, yet so detailed; the world really seemed to be brought to life.

The style reminded me of "Kid's Story" of the animatrix series (the one with the skateboard and falling off the building = selfsubstantiation) ; another beautifully drawn piece. The movement was so expressive, like drawing the motionblur almost.

erilaz
12-08-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Antonbomb22

It's at the end of the sequence before they cut back to "Wiggle your big toe."

RockinAkin
12-08-2003, 01:16 AM
One of the best parts of one of the best films of the year.

Thanks for the interview.

l3d_davi
12-08-2003, 01:38 AM
wow leo great work :applause: :applause: :drool:

ghZaaaRK
12-08-2003, 01:42 AM
real good surprise during the movie!

Well done Quentin, and IG obviously :)

taverns3
12-08-2003, 02:16 AM
so my buddy at work is convinced there was rotoscoping involved in the first fight sequence... i am undetermined. this is neither good nor bad but the commentary doesn't go into great technical detail, can anyone fill me in on this? we can't wait to see more!

cheers, tav

phoenix
12-08-2003, 03:37 AM
very impressive....

allan3000
12-08-2003, 06:16 AM
According to the article, Uma's character was "once part of a group of female assassins," but wasn't there a guy in the group (played by Michael Madsen)?

Wasn't Copperhead (Michael Madsen) part of the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad as well?

Here's a pic of the squad (sans Uma):http://www.geocities.com/morlockkidesign/TemplatePages/vipers/viper1.jpg

Please don't be offended by the post - I loved the article, but I just thought that Copperhead was part of the group as well.

P.S.
If you haven't done so already, I hope that everybody as marked down Feb. 20th to see Kill Bill, Vol. 2!

rastaflex
12-08-2003, 08:40 AM
I like so much this anim and this film
I wanna see the part 2!!!! with other good anim!!!!

Ed Bittner
12-08-2003, 09:39 AM
I could have watched the entire movie like that.(animated)
Ed

adboy
12-08-2003, 10:15 AM
yea was easily the best part of the film

the sequence where she pulls the sword out and the blood sprays a her silhouette onto the wall was a stroke of genius

and also the way the innocent look in her eyes drained away as her mother was killed

i love it when people pull off effects like that and make it look effortless

thanks for share the info on this

El Pollo Diablo
12-08-2003, 01:06 PM
I must say I love the animated sequences. The animated style successfully captures Quentil Tarantino’s way of telling a story.

sqitso
12-08-2003, 01:20 PM
There were parts of that sequence that almost seemed rotoscoped. Like the fight seen at the very beggining. Was rotoscoping involved, or are these guys just really good?

proton
12-08-2003, 01:51 PM
I was lucky enuff to visit IG last month and the team there is just amazing...great article Leo keep getting more from Japan !

eric3dee
12-08-2003, 02:28 PM
All I can say is: Thank you! Thank you!!! Thank you!!!!!! :applause:
I would love to see more articles done about traditional animation pieces mixed with digital techniques. This intrigues me sooooo much.
However, I would still, like to see some more in-depth-behind-the-scenes content on this stuff. And maybe some production stills too. I MUST KNOW THE SECRETS OF JAPANESE ANIMATORS!!!!:buttrock:

m-d-freezer
12-08-2003, 07:28 PM
and floop ... a new dimension opens in front of my eyes.

Nice to read.

Can't get enough of that.

Boone
12-08-2003, 09:52 PM
I dunno - it looked kinda rough...still, I suppose it's supposed to be in a "pulp" style...y'know, rough an'all.

I can't really help but ask "why" is it in the movie? Why not have other animation styles for the other characters? It just seems to be a gimmik...or just put in there for the hell of it!

Saying that, it was still alot of fun!!

- oh, yeah - well done for the article...:beer:

kraal
12-08-2003, 10:04 PM
first to answer why....cause real life child sex scene would not be excepted by ratings board...... as for the bride anime you may wanna re watch volume one cause that scene is in already.....

Boone
12-08-2003, 10:15 PM
Re: Kraal.

That's a very good point.

Is Volume 1 out on DVD in America, already?

facial
12-08-2003, 11:59 PM
Really nice movie. i am long for see it. :scream:

Tsugumo
12-09-2003, 12:17 AM
Great interview! I love Production I.G.'s work, and while I like their cleaner style a little more in general, the rough look fit the emotion of the scene and all just perfect.

There's lots of little advanced stuff in there too, like the handheld feel to the camera movements, the "painted" looking shadows under characters' noses (instead of just cel-shaded, they've got the style going on where you can see overlapping brush-strokes, which I'm guessing they can do now because they color digitally (probably with Painter?) If you look at her cheek in the sniping shot on the 3rd page of the interview, you can see the brush-stroke blending thing going on...couldn't do that with cel animation), gradient fills within character's coloring (you can see it on the guy's trenchcoat in the pic at the start of the thread...the light area on his lower half is gradually darker than the same light area on his upper half...a more drastic example is on his collar where it goes into shadow), and her sniping suit where it's again probably done in Painter with a different style than traditional cel-style, and of course, tons of Production I.G.'s signature "gradient lighting glows across the scene" which you can't really see in those shots but they're in the movie...they're all over the place in Blood: The Last Vampire and pretty much everything else I.G. has done (they've done intros to a lot of videogames...Suikoden III is the most recent, I think, but the CG mixed in that was horribly done, it was a total oil on water effect, bleh...the clips of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex which you can download here (http://www.productionig.com/GhostTV_Movies.html) (and I highly recommend checking them out if you want to see great cel-shaded 3d) are bloody awesome, however...they finally figured out that to mix CG with 2d, you have to drop a bunch of the CG frames so it doesn't move 5x as smooth as everything else...if you didn't know that the machines in those clips were 3d, it'd be VERY easy to believe they were all hand-drawn, whereas in most 2d/3d mixes, even from Disney, you can still spot the 3d horribly easily).

...err, sorry, I like to rant about I.G. Been following their stuff ever since I saw the intro to Tales of Destiny on the PS1. :)

There were parts of that sequence that almost seemed rotoscoped. Like the fight seen at the very beggining. Was rotoscoping involved, or are these guys just really good?

Production I.G. is just that good. Here's a link (http://www.productionig.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=58&t=2350&st=30) to a thread on their site about the animation...The samuraiNYC guy is an animator there and says:

FYI I.G did not do any rotoscoping for Kill Bill.

They may have looked at reference footage, but I have never seen anyone rotoscoping at the studio.

There's some more discussion on anime/rotoscoping in the rest of the thread. :)

- Tsugumo

NightFox
12-09-2003, 04:25 AM
Woo! Gotta love Kill Bill. Another Q-baby film.. In his own style again!

The animation was just outstanding for the film. Much Congrats to the IG team.

As for the Kill Bill DVD... not likely out now. it's only been a couple months, takes around 4-6 for the DVD of a movie to hit the shelves, unless it's rushed.

Besides, Kill Bill Vol. 2 is gonna be out in Feb. I'm saving my pennies for that! heh.

Sousuke
12-09-2003, 10:37 AM
I saw KILL BILL Vol.1 too.
There were many scenes of Japan in the movie.
I am happy about that as Japanese.

oxyg3n
12-09-2003, 05:50 PM
I havent seen the movie yet, but I keep hearing about it and how violent it is.

Me thinks I should really see it!

animeboy
12-09-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by allan3000
According to the article, Uma's character was "once part of a group of female assassins," but wasn't there a guy in the group (played by Michael Madsen)?

Wasn't Copperhead (Michael Madsen) part of the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad as well?

Michael Madsen's character is Bud, who's codename is Sidewinder actually. So, it's not an all female team as the article says, but otherwise I also enjoyed it as a good read.

Mark

DJSmackMackey
12-17-2003, 03:24 PM
I believe it is supposed to be an all female team of assassins, because Quentin says it's like his version of Charlies Angels, with Bill as Charlie. And I think Michael Madsen is like Bosley. Not really one of the assassins. But I could be wrong. We'll see in Volume 2, which I eagerly await. Volume 1 was just so nice!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.