PDA

View Full Version : Help with school decision PLEASE

Jilmar
11-20-2012, 02:20 AM
I live in miami, Florida, which means theres no good art schools around here and no future for an animator :argh: . My plan was to go for 2 years to a community college here and then transfer to another university up north in orlando, UCF, and get a BFA. Also i cannot leave the state cause I'm married and my wife was planning to go to UCF too. But I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna get a good education here, i do not think its worth spending 4 years to get a degree that might not even help me get a job cause of the poor education here, we do plan to leave the state once we can. Another option is taking Animation Mentor and hopefully get a job out of state and leave with my wife even though chances are not high but in my opinion higher than 4 years in college. So what do you guys think, BFA in Florida, or Animation Mentor? Thank you guys.

RobertoOrtiz
11-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Well I know that Ringling School of Art has a fantastic animation program.
One of the best in the east coast.
http://www.ringling.edu/

Keep in mind that I am a fan of people getting a Bachelors degree.

Jilmar
11-25-2012, 01:43 PM
YES i would love to go to that school but unfortunately theres no other school around the area for my wife to get her major, so I'm stock in miami for 2 years until she gets her A.A and can transfer

cgs-john
11-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Your idea of starting somewhere and transferring is not a bad idea. Consider the schools that you may want to attend after leaving Florida, contact their advisement office to find out about their requirements for graduation and what credits will transfer from your local college.

As far as assuming that you will not get a good education where you are, though it is true that some schools are better then others, you own your education and make of what you will. There are some that attend well known schools with great reputations but don't take advantage of the opportunities afforded them; while others attend lesser known institutions, take ownership of their education, work hard, and make the best of it. If you do the later, then when you apply to another school you just may have what it takes to be accepted, receive scholarships if available, be a leader, and enter the industry with a portfolio worthy of consideration.

Take care and happy holidays.

Jilmar
11-26-2012, 06:32 PM
I just registered for animschool for January, gonna try it out cause it looked like a good shool. Hopefully everything goes how I plan, im gonna try my hardest and make the most out of it :thumbsup:

artzolio
11-29-2012, 07:18 AM
I just registered for animschool for January, gonna try it out cause it looked like a good shool. Hopefully everything goes how I plan, im gonna try my hardest and make the most out of it :thumbsup:
Which school?

Jilmar
12-01-2012, 12:18 AM
Animschool.com they have a 21 month animation program for a fair price. Theres a disccount going on if you sing up for winter.

Deo85
12-04-2012, 11:46 PM
I would also look into getting the animators survival kit I heard a lot of good things about this DVD collection from other animators :) Good luck in your school!

eezacque
12-05-2012, 04:18 AM
I would also look into getting the animators survival kit I heard a lot of good things about this DVD collection from other animators :) Good luck in your school!

The book is ok, but I believe the DVD set is woefully overpriced. For almost $1000 you get a series of video lectures from a teacher who will not comment on your work...

Deo85
12-05-2012, 03:46 PM
The book is ok, but I believe the DVD set is woefully overpriced. For almost $1000 you get a series of video lectures from a teacher who will not comment on your work...

Do you feel the book is good enough to cover the principles of animation?

fig
12-05-2012, 04:07 PM

It certainly covers the principles, whether you can understand and interpret that to apply them is a whole different story.

eezacque
12-05-2012, 08:14 PM

The book is excellent, albeit at an advanced level. For a beginner, I suggest Preston Blair and Eric Goldberg.

Jilmar
12-09-2012, 11:30 PM
I do have the books and the dvds theyre awesome and ive learned so much that i had to take a break cause my brain couldn't keep up with everything xD the book has more examples tho but i like to use the dvds for learning, and the book when i need reference and examples... Even tho theyre so helpful i think having a mentor is very important

CGTalk Moderation
12-09-2012, 11:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.