PDA

View Full Version : Environment - Scientist's Bathroom

Plays_4_Pants
12-07-2003, 10:08 PM
Here's the next image in the series. This one is more polished, and I hope to polish the previous one so that it's to this level. When I fix up the last pic I'll repost it. I dumbed down the effects and (considering i had less textures to do in 2 and a half weeks) i was able to spend more time on the ones I had to do.
This picture is the bathroom of a mad scientist. As you can hopefully notice, he applies his work into his house. He uses this place as a storage of pipes and wires along with his bathroom. The focal point is supposed to be the toilet because that's where he's going to be during this scene. Once again, it's not meant to be realistic but more stylized and "artistic." Please critique and rate. Thanx

http://digitalarts.bgsu.edu/portfolios/tgreco/bathroom.jpg

Just to let you guys know who I am - I'm an undergraduate senior at BGSU that'll graduate in May...so keep a :beer: cool for a few more months for me. :D ...and keep your fingers crossed so I can get a job when I do. :hmm:

in your sofa
12-07-2003, 10:13 PM
Wow...awesum job!!! However, im not quite sure on the overall medium of the bathroom...right now i think it looks a lot like clay...perhaps adding some colored specular will make it look more photogenic?

in your sofa
12-07-2003, 10:16 PM
my bad...didnt c that u werent aiming for non-photogenicy. Umm...still tho...it DOES look like soft clay...very nice and..."forest lakeside organic"!! Good luck!:beer:

WhiteRabbitObj
12-07-2003, 10:20 PM
Very cool piece but there is a monstrous compositional problem with it. All of the weight is on the right side: it's lighter and things there also look less fuzzy. I keep trying to examine everything on the left and my eyes are being dragged back to the right. You need to shift the focus some! Good modeling and texturing though, nice job.

stephen2002
12-07-2003, 10:27 PM
I like the environment. When I saw your title that is very close to what I envisioned. You might want to scatter some papers around, a few writing utensiles as well.

leigh
12-07-2003, 10:41 PM
Hehe very cool pic! It really reminds me of the kind of room you'd find in the house of "Wallace and Gromit". I like the insanity of having such clutter in the scene - it suits a crazy scientist.

I really like the lighting a lot :)

Plays_4_Pants
12-07-2003, 10:49 PM
Thanx guys. White rabbit I agree with the compositional problem. I think it's the blue sky that drags the eye to the right. I think though, when I add the character to the bathroom, it might bring it back. But I will keep that in mind when we composite. Oh, and the reason why the characters are not added to the scene is that I did make make the characters...it's a group project. Thanx again. The clay look is sorta intentional. I really wasn't thinking clay, but I was thinking in terms of a soft style that ended up looking like clay.

Plays_4_Pants
12-08-2003, 06:12 PM
I'd really appreciate a few more critiques :blush:

Thekkur
12-08-2003, 06:35 PM
Really nice! I can imagine the hidden bathroom in the unseen university Terry Pratchetts 'the hogfather' would look somewhat like this one...

The left side definately deserves more attention. How about streching the lightfall more across the room? This way it would iluminate the entire scene instead of only the toilet pot...

Nice work :)

graffb
12-08-2003, 06:45 PM
Wohooo ... awsome! I like... Jesus!!

Ac0rN
12-08-2003, 06:50 PM
I like it very mush :thumbsup:

NicoDN
12-08-2003, 08:03 PM
Really cool stuff, I love your art ! :applause:
Crazy atmosphere is this bathroom (?)
Awesome job !! :love:

Plays_4_Pants
12-08-2003, 08:15 PM
Yeah, dragging the light would work, maybe even adding a "light from nowhere" too. I dunno I can try both. Thanx again. I don't get good critiques like this in school considering I'm ahead of 99 percent of the faculty and students here, so u guys have no idea how much i appreciate even the slightest critiques. And by the way, I don't know what the hogfather is, but I all of a sudden have a great interest in it. :p

scoogee
12-08-2003, 08:55 PM
totally righteous - i dig the wallpaper very much and the large pipes near the ceiling. however, that's where my crit lies. it seems that all the pipes might have too high of a specular highlight, and this coincides with In Your Sofa, but it looks like it's been a piece of glazed pottery. heck, if you said it was just water coming down the sides of the pipe, i'd believe that:D but hey, outstanding work, ace.

FootFace
12-09-2003, 01:09 AM
Your texturing and lighting in this image is absolutely amazing! I am in awe of this work!

jipe
12-09-2003, 02:44 AM
I don't get good critiques like this in school considering I'm ahead of 99 percent of the faculty and students here
Can you give me your opinion of the BGSU digital arts program? Any experiences you have had (positive or negative) are welcome - faculty, students, facilities, etc. I was accepted to the school (need to schedule my portfolio review - how selective are they?) and I have to decide in the next few months where I want to go to school next fall, and there isn't too much info about BGSU's program..

Really dig the image, by the way. The textures on the left pipes seem too blurry, and as mentioned before, the composition is really weighted toward the right.

Plays_4_Pants
12-09-2003, 02:57 AM
Well Jipe, BGSU is an interesting beast. We have AMAZING facilities. Too bad people don't know how to take care of it...so everything crashes within the last 3 weeks of each semester. Our network is extremely slow, but that may change soon. The town itself is boring, which is great for losers like myself that do this stuff all day. The faculty I (for the most part) can't stand. Most of the faculty want us to be fine artists and don't care about the fact that most of us dig video games and want to get a job. All but about 1 faculty member aren't advanced enough to even come close to what I'm doing. Then again...as I said, the facilities are amazing, so if u wanna get good, teach urself and take advantage of the lab. And to my knowledge, if u wanna get good ur gonna teach yourself anyway.
The people are nice here.
The school itself offers a lot

It'll be great if u can e-mail me what you done so far so I know where you stand...

Check this site out - compare compare compare

Myhttp://digitalarts.bgsu.edu

Also, if you are into one particular thing (like I am with modelling) then you might get frustrated with the "take every kind of art" scheduling you have to do, but once again, If you want something so bad... you'll get it. Good luck and keep me posted

Plays_4_Pants
12-09-2003, 03:01 AM
Oh and very few people get jobs anymore that don't reaaaalllly take advantage of the fact that you're a newbie...so yes, my entire class of 100 something students are scared out of their mind.
Hey, maybe things will change soon....:cry:

So don't do this for the money... do it cause ya love it

vivin
12-09-2003, 04:47 AM
i love it. It reminds me of one of those minature doll house that my aunt used to do :p . Its way better than i could ever do but the main thing that looks out of the blue in that scene is the coloured pipes in the corner. I know its a mad scientist bath room and scientist all ways have those kinda funky colours going through the pipes but it just looks odd to me in this scene. Overall great work and look forward to seeing more work from you in the future :beer:

Skyraider3D
12-09-2003, 10:27 AM
Very nicely done and great lighting! The dept of field makes it look like a scale model though (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, unless you aim for full-scale realism). Overall I like the feeling of the image a lot.

Garma
12-09-2003, 12:40 PM
very cool idea :thumbsup: love the lighting though I agree with whiterabbit that the balance is a little off.

Jamaludin
12-09-2003, 07:14 PM
just brutal man ! dont know how people pull it off, great looking. Gotta respect mad skillz. Cya when I cya !

3DKnight
12-09-2003, 10:05 PM
Love it! My only gripe is the toilet paper look to CLEAN and untouched compared to everything else.

Plays_4_Pants
12-10-2003, 12:15 AM
Thanx guys for the opinions! Jamaludin, that is the most hysterical compliment I've read in a long time. :buttrock:

All the suggestions are great! I can't wait to improve this pic even more when I get the chance (darn finals)

DAREONER
12-10-2003, 01:58 AM
great picture , good composition and good lighting

the problem has right is not important for me compared with the other traditional errors of composition which I rather often see :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.