PDA

View Full Version : macbook pro retina issue?


umiyo
11-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Hi everyone,

I was so close to order 15" macbook pro retina for maya, zbrush and adobe suite, but as I was doing last bit of research, I found this article.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/11/13/some-15-retina-macbook-pro-users-complain-of-graphics-issues-after-efi-update

Has anyone here come across with this issue? I know I can return it if it does not perform as good as it should be, but it would be a lot of hassle to arrange a return and waiting for the money to come back.

It would be nice if someone can update me with their experience with retina macbook as it is out for some time now. How do you find it after using it for few months? Is it working OK after the latest update? etc...

Thank you

cgbeige
11-19-2012, 04:18 PM
I have a pre-retina 17" MBP and it's fine but Shawn from the Autodesk Maya team has a retina one and says it's fine. Just avoid that firmware update if you're concerned about it and wait for an update if there is anything actually wrong with the update, they will fix it shortly.

olson
11-19-2012, 05:05 PM
Just avoid that firmware update if you're concerned about it...

Since the firmware has been in the wild for several months a new machine might come with the buggy firmware so it doesn't matter what updates you avoid if the machine already has it. Not sure if Apple does the same thing but most other manufacturers keep previous versions of updates and software available online so you can revert.

mustique
11-19-2012, 05:51 PM
I'm using an 15" RMBP (2.7 GHz i7, 16 GB, 512 SSD) for 2 months with adobe CS, ZB and maya and it has been a good ride so far. With Zbrush, the fan runs almost constantly, but I guess this is normal.

umiyo
11-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Thank you all for your responses.

Yes, I was bit worried about the new machines may come with the firmware update already installed. I might pop down to apple store and ask if I can revert back to older versions.
I would wait if I can and see if Apple release another update soon. My computer which I have now is acting funny past few weeks...it is over 4 years old and not really capable of running maya to start with.

mustique, have you applied that firmware update?

ThE_JacO
11-20-2012, 12:19 AM
I'm using an 15" RMBP (2.7 GHz i7, 16 GB, 512 SSD) for 2 months with adobe CS, ZB and maya and it has been a good ride so far. With Zbrush, the fan runs almost constantly, but I guess this is normal.
With ZBrush you are hardly bothering the videocard, so you wouldn't see the issue.
The September update issue seems to be connected to a mix of conservative settings to throttle down the GPU, and a mismatch in how temperature reads are calibrated.

If you sit the notebook on a cooling platform and/or are in a cool environment and nothing is clogged, you probably wouldn't even see the issue in first place.

From what I read about it when helping a friend (who DID have the issue), it's a matter of the latest update clocking down the GPU already in the 70s, and throttling it down to bugger all speed in the 80s. Too soon too aggressively. If you don't hit those marks, or haven't updated past October, you won't know of it.

mustique
11-20-2012, 12:33 AM
...

mustique, have you applied that firmware update?

I haven't applied that firmware. I don't know if it came preapplied or not.

Regarding the fan noise. Yes it can be noisy with zbrush and when doing rendering.
So the cpu alone is capable of doing some pretty heat on my machine in those situations.

Must investigate...

Edit: I have that firmware installed.

tuna
11-20-2012, 06:25 AM
I had one, 2.7ghz/16gb/512ssd and recently sold it on as it wasn't performing as well as I, personally, expect a $3k+ machine to perform in Maya. I put the money to better use upgrading my desktop and will buy a Lenovo ultrabook (but not for CG!).

Things like the way Maya had a 1+second delay for all marking menus in OSX and slightly worse character rig playback performance than it does on Windows pushed me towards this decision. There were other OSX limitations on some software, like Houdini not having full openGL feature implementations that it does on win/linux, and some other software like c4d/modo not letting you navigate with the command button! Overall the experience was great for everything else except cg, so it had to be sold. Windows on the machine is truly awful.

You might be able to live with these shortcomings, however I didn't think the price was worth all of the many little drawbacks that I constantly encountered.

umiyo
11-20-2012, 10:43 AM
OK, I have visited apple store last night. The person I spoked to was not aware of the issue or not sure if I can revert back the firmware. Only thing he was sure was that all Apple software run fine and smooth. What he suggested was to get it anyway and use it for few days and if don't like it I can return it for 14 days. I need to think about that. It is not very comfortable to wait for over 2000 to come back...

For the price of macbook pro + little more, I can possibly get decent i7 3930K based desktop and macbook air to take outside. It might be better idea although I am sure that I can only use air for light photoshop work and possibly very gentle maya work. I really liked the idea of being able to work on laptop while I am out and other companies like dell's laptop is way too heavy to even think about carrying around. I guess 2kg is the border for me.

by the way, I have not noticed delay in marking menus. It might be just because I am on osx all the time when I am working, and not touched maya on windows for years. Studio I work for is mac based. I don't have any attachment for osx or windows though.

Thank you everyone. I will think about it. At least I may be able to earn few pennies on interest while I make decision. Time to move money to saving account for a bit.

mustique
11-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Turned off graphic switching from osx prefs, optimized performance through zbrushes performance preferences. Fan isn't as noisy now. The cpu performed on all cores plus its integrated gpu for the retina pixels which was too much work. Settling with that till the next firmware update hopefully fixes it.

tuna
11-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Turned off graphic switching from osx prefs, optimized performance through zbrushes performance preferences. Fan isn't as noisy now. The cpu performed on all cores plus its integrated gpu for the retina pixels which was too much work. Settling with that till the next firmware update hopefully fixes it.


Use GfxCardStatus instead, it is a much more elegant solution to graphics switching.

CGTalk Moderation
11-20-2012, 11:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.