PDA

View Full Version : FireGL X2 vs Quadro FX1100 best buy??

WhiteBlaizer
12-07-2003, 07:06 PM
hi pals

I'm gonna buy a mid-range graphics card for my house because i need it a lot, and i post it because i don't know which of them is the best choice.

I have prepared a 3ghz p4 fsb 800mhz with 2 gigs ram ddr 400, with a power suply of 450. The unique piece i need now is the graphics card.

What do you recommend me for MAX?? i wanna do 3d and gaming also. I want to use the card for graphics programming in directx 9 hlsl also.

the prices for the cards are this (with the %16 added):

fx 1100: 1500
firegl X2: 1080

have anyone a firegl x2 installed? can u say to me how works the card? is a good choice??

regards

stephen2002
12-08-2003, 02:36 PM
Best bang for the buck, ATI.
Best stability and drivers, NVIDIA.

Emmortal1
12-08-2003, 07:38 PM
I use Maya, so can't really comment on the use in Max, but I previously had a Fire GL X2 and it was the worst card I've ever owned in my entire life. Horrible driver and tech support from ATI, constant crashing of Maya, poor overall viewport performance, trying to software render was hit and miss, forget about using Mental Ray at all. I quickly sent it back and picked up a Quadro FX 3000.

The 1100 would be what I would recommend in your case. I don't know if the problems are equal in MAX, but if you don't even want to take the chance, then go with the Nvidia.

Emmortal

WhiteBlaizer
12-09-2003, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

More experiencies would be nice to know. Have someone used Firegl X2 in max?? Ati have especial drivers for max as i can know.

I don't know why maya works so slowly in your machine, it's a certified application. you make me don't want to choice that card, seriously :). In some benchies over the net X2 is a good card in maya, Fx1000 is far better, no doubt.

cheers-

edit:

the price for the fx1000 is 1380 :(

A link with a nice Benchmark: http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030916/opengl-01.html

3Dfx_Sage
12-10-2003, 02:44 AM
if you're serious about doing some DX9 programming then there really is no choice but to get an ATi. nVidia *still* lack a few important DX9 features like floating point render targets.

Jacaranda
12-12-2003, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Emmortal1
I use Maya, so can't really comment on the use in Max, but I previously had a Fire GL X2 and it was the worst card I've ever owned in my entire life. Horrible driver and tech support from ATI, constant crashing of Maya, poor overall viewport performance, trying to software render was hit and miss, forget about using Mental Ray at all. I quickly sent it back and picked up a Quadro FX 3000.

The 1100 would be what I would recommend in your case. I don't know if the problems are equal in MAX, but if you don't even want to take the chance, then go with the Nvidia.

Emmortal

Umm... What does the graphics card have to do with software rendering? To my knowledge nothing. Perhaps it's something else with your system...

As per the original question, I can't comment on either of those graphics cards, however one way I have been able to get some hands on experience with other cards is too ask the store if they would perhaps install a demo/non-commercial of your software so that you can have some hands on experience with the hardware before you buy.
Given the price of prof. 3d cards some stores will go to the extra effort to make the sale.
Best of luck.

Lorecanth
12-12-2003, 07:07 AM
Look around the forum this has been discussed before. ATI's firegl drivers blow. The big issue is OpenGL display in multiple windows, for some reason fire cards just haven't been up to snuff lately.

Also regarding directx 9 programming, considering we won't see real directx 9 stuff going into games for another 2 years lol whats the point.

ambient-whisper
12-12-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Jacaranda
Umm... What does the graphics card have to do with software rendering? To my knowledge nothing. Perhaps it's something else with your system...

As per the original question, I can't comment on either of those graphics cards, however one way I have been able to get some hands on experience with other cards is too ask the store if they would perhaps install a demo/non-commercial of your software so that you can have some hands on experience with the hardware before you buy.
Given the price of prof. 3d cards some stores will go to the extra effort to make the sale.
Best of luck.
i think he meant to say hardware render. cuz yeah. the card has nothing to do with software rendering. unless his IPR was going bonkers.

3Dfx_Sage
12-12-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Lorecanth
Look around the forum this has been discussed before. ATI's firegl drivers blow. The big issue is OpenGL display in multiple windows, for some reason fire cards just haven't been up to snuff lately.

Also regarding directx 9 programming, considering we won't see real directx 9 stuff going into games for another 2 years lol whats the point. actually, you're quite wrong on that. DX9 has been picked up very quickly. Tomb Raider: AOD was one of the first games written for DX9, and Half-Life2 (and, subsuquently, all games that use the engine) is based on DX9 as well. There are also several other games that use DX9 heavily such as the new Dark Age of Camelot expansion.

edit:

Doom3 also has an ARB2 path which is comparable with DX9 (ie the level of hardware programability and the use of a full floating point pipeline)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.