PDA

View Full Version : Vray Noob

Kwik
11-17-2012, 07:51 PM
So I just got my hands on Vray for Cinema 4D. I am eager to get it going since it has so many options above and beyond that of the render engines that come stock with Cinema 4D. Problem is I am having a difficult time getting it to achieve. First off it took 1 hour and a few mins to render a simple text scene. I used materials that I had made in C4D and did the conversion on them thru the Vray bridge. From what I can tell it seems to only make a rough idea of what it thinks the material should look like. So for instance I had made a simple black with about 15% reflection value. And a white floor and background. I used a illumination sphere with a value of 400% on the GI generation. I tagged the camera and did compositing on the light sphere. But after the hours wait there is only what appears to be a funny looking black and white image, some reason it looks nothing at all like the standard, or physical renderings I did to compare. Looking to the web now for any ideas on what I may have set incorrectly. Also I am wondering if someone can tell me how to reduce the amount of GI prepasses VRay makes, 4 passes seems excessive for something simple. I have tried a couple different presets but don't see any reductions. Any info really is helpful.Thanks! ^

spedler
11-18-2012, 10:52 AM
If you've just bought a copy of Vray then you should join the Vray for C4D official forum (http://forum.vrayforc4d.com/index.php). You're much more likely to get help there and Stefan is very quick to help legitimate user's questions.

lewisrowe
11-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Dont worry Kwik, fast and beautiful GI renders are around the corner. I remember the first days of getting Vray being a bit alien. But once you realise a couple of things and start thinking about materials and lights in the VRay-way of thinking and not the C4D-way you'll be amazed at how fast and easy setting up a good looking render is.
Spedler is right, join the vrayforc4d forum. You'll get loads of fast help there.

But for now, heres the ting aboout Vray coming from AR..
- Materials - its all about specular and fresnel (the natural reflectance of nearly all surfaces)
- Lights - Its mostly all about Area lights (like a photographer's studio soft box) and Infinite light (VRay sun+sky for outdoors stuff).
- GI and natural blurry reflections and IOR for everything - Its cheap and real looking.. renders fast.
- Use two render settings 1.Super fast test renders in seconds (see what you're gonna get but with a little speckle), then 2. Hi Q big high res renders in under 5 hours.

So, my initial tips...
- no point in using the material converter in the end. Vray mats soon become a doddle. For reflection use the specular channel. tick on 'trace reflections'. tick on 'trace specular' for adding a c4d-style fake specular glare (think light bulb glare in your reflection). 'Reflection glossiness'= reflection blurryness. Specular glossiness=wide or thin fake specular glare c4d style. set all colours to have 80% brightness and dont go above 80% sturation on colours (the VRay natural way).
- for your 'illumination sphere' instead use a Vray area light - set it to 'dome light' in the tab. (This is where you also load hdr if needed.
-whilst you're learning dont bother with a Vray camera tag for exposure etc. just adjust the brightness of your light for exposure.
- For a quick preview render set this:
AA = Adaptive DMC, min 1 max 2, thresh 0.01
DMC samples = 0.95, 4, 0.01, 1
Indirect illumination = GI 'on' preset; 02_IR-LC_very fast [for print size]
Color mapping (Vray's magic) Reinhard, multiplier 1, burn 0.4 (low=smooth gentle tones, high=contrast but white blow outs!), Gamma 1.8
- Make regular square area lights nice and BIG in size
- build your scene in actual size as a rule of thumb for correct physical behaviour.

Enough from me. Gotta go.. Any more help needed just let me know.
Cheers.

Srek
11-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Please check the Official Vray Forum, you will find a lot of information and help on this topic there
Cheers
Björn