PDA

View Full Version : MS-Linux? It could happen.

kilikili
12-07-2003, 05:13 PM
What they said:

"Could Microsoft come out with its own Linux distribution? It sure could. There's nothing in the GPL to stop it. And in fact, SCO CEO Darl McBride told me at November's CDXPO in Las Vegas that Microsoft's second licensing payment to his company was for the rights to incorporate Services for Unix (SFU) into its operating systems."

More >>> (http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1400161,00.asp)

-Kilikili

UrbanFuturistic
12-07-2003, 06:41 PM
There's a slight difference between MS licensing commercial UNIX source code (something they have done a lot in the past as well as incorporating BSD licensed code) for incorporation into Windows and MS selling an OS in opposition to Windows.

MS licensing proprietary UNIX code is hardly a step towards embracing open source; while legally viable it'll probably happen about the same time hell freezes over and WHGIII turns into a small but perfectly formed kumquat.

Here's a better quote:

"You see, Microsoft has never been about being technically better. Microsoft is about creating the perception that it's the best and embracing any technology that might disrupt that illusion. If Linux gives Microsoft enough trouble, I think Microsoft is ready to embrace Linux… just enough to try to strangle it."

Mmmmmm, accuracy.

regards, Paul

klingspor
12-08-2003, 03:16 PM
I expect it will take a while for MS to actually feel the need to "embrace Linux just enough to try to strangle it". The way it is, Linux is hardly a viable competition on the desktop, which is the main market for Windows.
Sure, on servers it's another story, but the lack of organization and standards (as well as a real killer-app) are holding back many potential desktop users. Most users don't care for the possibilities and customization options that Linux offers, they'd rather just concentrate on their work. And until those issues are sorted out by the Linux community, I just don't see Bill Gates weeping in his bed at night in fear of the mighty penguin.

Anyway, UNIX services have been available for Windows from MS for quite some time now IIRC, so there is no reason to believe them licensing UNIX software has anything to do with a Linux distribution they might be planning...

RealThing
12-08-2003, 03:53 PM
Acutally the server market is where Microsoft makes most of it's money. If linux continues to take over this market Microsoft will be forced to embrace it. This would of course filter down to the desktop versions of Windows.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.