PDA

View Full Version : Weird Questions Involving Photoshop

Sqwuid
11-16-2012, 06:46 AM
I created this account to ask people who knew a thing or two a few questions. I don't know any lingo, I have a loose idea of how things work. Just enough to get me through the more complex techniques. Deke is my favorite person ever. Etc, etc… I'm sure these questions are very stupid.

Anyway, recoloring craze.
Firstly, grayscale is pretty much strictly a luminance value right? If it is, I assume it's not possible to pull "real" colors out of them? So there's no way of sort of… translating grayscale back to a color "value?"

Basically, I'm a purist. Not in the "keep it as is" sense. More of a "I wanna see what it would look like in real life before you attack it with splatter brushes" kind of thing. Because of this, it pains me to load up adjustment layers and try to imagine what the color would be. Essentially, "this gray is the same shade as this gray so they must be the same color." It hurts. It physically hurts.

Now I've color corrected professionally. I supposedly have a B.A. in this stuff (Supposedly. I asked a lot of questions and then went home and answered them myself). So naturally I'm curious. Am I stuck guessing, or is there a way of calculating the truth out this stuff?

I've done some google searches and turned up nothing. I assumed it was because there is a fundamentally important keyword I'm lacking as opposed to a complete kill switch on my IQ.

Thanks guys,
Grace

receptor
11-18-2012, 08:19 PM
i guess that it could be possible to lure some color information out of a black and white photo given enough information. But you need a LOT of extra information like what film (spectral sensitivity)/optics (glass color)/light (complete spectra)/material that was used. It still will be a very hard task and I don't think it will be possible to get that much information.
I seriously doubt that you will ever see a re-colorize plugin for PS. But I need to say that scientists have surprised me before :-P

http://photo.net/learn/optics/edscott/pss00030.htm

Latest surprice: http://youtu.be/SoHeWgLvlXI

One idea would be to use the chromatic aberration to see the spectra of the light on those spots :-)

CGTalk Moderation
11-18-2012, 08:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.