PDA

View Full Version : Animation Contest Topic Ideas

JTalbotski
12-07-2003, 03:40 PM
Hey folks,

Since the voting is over about what type of contest we do next, let's brainstorm a bit about what we want the animation contest topic to be.

I recall someone mentioning something like a drunken stupor. How about a silly dance, or just a walk cycle, run cycle, stumble and fall?

Other ideas?

Jim

P.S. In case you missed it, I posted the link to where you can get Schlitzy here:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1004214#post1004214

Jim

pequod
12-07-2003, 09:26 PM
How about a Schlitzy screentest for one of Disney's dwarves and thus an explanation as to why he didn't make the cut.
Personally, I hate doing walk cycles, mostly cuz I'm rubbish at them.

Thanks Jim for offering up your model, can't wait to download it.

cosmonaut
12-08-2003, 12:10 AM
That's a great idea pequod, a screen test should be simple enough for everyone to get it done in a reasonable amount of time (doesn't require any fancy sets or anything) and could make for some really funny gags.

And thanks for the model Jim, he really is a fine piece of work (as are all your models). :buttrock:

itsjustme
12-08-2003, 07:14 AM
I think the way to go would be like the "10 Second Club" and give the contestants 10 seconds of audio to animate Schlitzy to...it could be anything, dialogue, music, sound effects, etc.

hoochoochoochoo
12-08-2003, 10:53 AM
hey Pequod..
How about a Schlitzy screentest for one of Disney's dwarves and thus an explanation as to why he didn't make the cut.
Sounds really funny! I can almost picture the sequence already but would you have a common sound file (who would produce it?) or can you think of a film sequence the audio file could come from?

JTalbotski
12-08-2003, 01:19 PM
"How about a Schlitzy screentest for one of Disney's dwarves and thus an explanation as to why he didn't make the cut."-pequod

I like that idea, too.

Can't people record their own sound? I think that would give more freedom to everyone. Plus it would be more interesting overall to have all different versions of the scene. But more work for the animators.

I might even try animating, ha!

Any other ideas?

Jim

modernhorse
12-08-2003, 02:05 PM
I like the screen test (with our own sound idea) as well. :thumbsup:

dagooos
12-08-2003, 03:22 PM
I like the Schlitzy screen test idea also with recording our own sound. That could make for some funnny results.

Here are a couple more ideas:

Schlitzy is so drunk he cant even (insert basic task here).

Schlitzy runs out of beer.

Schlitzy getting home from a night on the town.

cheers :beer:
David

cosmonaut
12-08-2003, 06:44 PM
A few more ideas:

-Schlitzy at last call :beer:
-Schlizty trying to buy beer
-Schlitzy trying to mine a diamond that just won't come loose

I still think the screentest is a great idea, though I agree we should be able to record our own sound. I've got several ideas and I'd prefer not to be too restricted. I'd also really like to see what other people come up with. The great thing about animating a drunk is you can go through the full range of emotions in less than a minute!

Kevin

Zaryin
12-08-2003, 09:14 PM
I think that's since it's an animation contest, there should be no sound other than dialogue for lip syncing. Mostly because I have nothing to record my own sound effects with and have no money to buy them, haha.

Pengy300
12-08-2003, 09:26 PM
Zaryin..tons of places to find sound effects online, alot of them can be adapted to sound like something else. I like the screentest idea, but why limit it to dwarf movie why not Schlitzy as the terminator or in brando's part in cat on a hot tin roof..."Steelllaaa!!":)

itsjustme
12-09-2003, 01:26 AM
Maybe a scene from the movie "Arthur"?

modernhorse
12-09-2003, 02:57 PM
So should we do a time limit? 10 seconds?

hoochoochoochoo
12-09-2003, 04:18 PM
you just love your time limits Doug..!

first 15 days for a modeling contest now 10 seconds for the animation length..:scream:

Sounds good (even if I won't be entering this contest) but what happens (as often happens) if someone produces a wonderful piece of work that is longer? I think I remember Shaun Freemans
cowbody sketch for "fast" (http://www.hash.com/animationcontest/Q0103/Q0103winners.asp) on the AM list was a bit longer than the original length set?

How about maximum and minimum time lengths??

modernhorse
12-09-2003, 04:26 PM
Well Hooch - we could use it as a guide only. We could say 'roughly' 10 seconds? That way if you need that extra 2 seconds ... i was more thinking of myself, if I set the bar low enough I might get over it. How about max 3 seconds.

:)

hoochoochoochoo
12-09-2003, 04:38 PM
heck if it was only 3 seconds even I'd enter that.!:beer:

no I meant 10 seconds for a minimum time...

oh yes, just checked the AM Animation Contest page and they say animations could be any length. There is a requirement for common codec and image size that makes sense though...
They recommend 320 x 240 for image size.

I'd also recommend staying away from DIVX or any similar codecs but that's just my opinion.

Zaryin
12-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Where are people going to be posting their entries. Some people don't have enought space to be posting a movie of over a meg.

JTalbotski
12-09-2003, 07:49 PM
I have some web space that I can offer temporarily. Hopefully the animators will do their best to compress the video to make it managable. I have some space on my .mac account that people can upload to (I think) but I will make sure, before any entries are done, how that will work.

As far as time limits, I think we should leave it up to the animator. If ithe clip is too short or too long, people might not vote for it. The animator is responsible for making it the "right" length for the action or scene. And they are responsible for finishing it, too. (One reason not to plan a long clip).

Jim

modernhorse
12-10-2003, 01:29 PM
That's fine of you Jim. So ... are we gonna start this thing now or wait 'til after the holidays?

It seems to me, after reading thru this thread and others on this topic that :

-People want flexibility in what to do with Schlitzy.
-People wish to add the sound/dialog of their choosing.
-People don't want any real time limits.

Sounds pretty open ended. Any more thoughts or shall we open it up to polling soon?

JTalbotski
12-10-2003, 02:23 PM
Yeah, let's get going on this.

Here's what we have so far:

1.Schlitzy screentest for one of Disney's dwarves

2. Animate Schlitzy to 10 second audio clip (TBD)

3.Schlitzy is so drunk he cant even (insert basic task here).

4.Schlitzy runs out of beer.

5. Schlitzy getting home from a night on the town.

6. Schlitzy at last call

7. Schlizty trying to buy beer

8.Schlitzy trying to mine a diamond that just won't come loose

9.Schlitzy screentest for other movie, Terminator, CAt on Hot Tin Roof, Arthur, etc.

By noon, if there are no other suggestions, I'll put up a poll to vote on the contest subject (if I can figure out how).

Jim

zandoria
12-10-2003, 03:48 PM
What do you think of something open ended? Where the animator can come up with their own scene?

I had a little funny scene in mind where Shlitzy is in a job interview at Pixar. Buzz Lightyear is sitting behind the desk looking at a stack of applications and demo reels.

Shlitzy says, "..ummm, I haven't worked in a while..."

Buzz looks up from the applications. " I hear ya brother..."

:applause:

hoochoochoochoo
12-10-2003, 05:00 PM
7. Schlizty trying to buy beer whassup Jim? forget how to spell your own model..???:beer:

Shlitzy is in a job interview at Pixar. Buzz Lightyear is sitting behind the desk looking at a stack of applications
that sorta opens up a whole can of worms Will, were do we get another rigged model etc etc....

JTalbotski
12-10-2003, 05:47 PM
Hooch, I copied and pasted some of those topic suggestions. I NEVER EVER make a mistake. Yeah, right.....

I will add William's suggestion of an open ended topic and post a poll very shortly.

Thanks,
Jim

zandoria
12-10-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by hoochoochoochoo
were do we get another rigged model etc etc....

There is a Buzz Lightyear model in the "Toys" project :)

JTalbotski
12-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Rats! Sorry, I can't figure out how to post a poll. Someone else want to try?

Thanks, Jim (Duh)

zandoria
12-10-2003, 06:14 PM
Start a new thread.
there is a checkbox at the bottom to post a poll

JTalbotski
12-10-2003, 06:48 PM
I tried that, but when I previewed it, only my first short sentence was shown, There was nowhere to enter the text for each topic nominee.

Jim

Obnomauk
12-10-2003, 06:57 PM
Done and done :D

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108817

Zaryin
12-10-2003, 07:48 PM
LOL, Will. That was hilarious!

hoochoochoochoo
12-16-2003, 05:08 PM
if you want to work up to 90 seconds for your animation... (http://www.depict.org)

3000 prize money too......

dagooos
12-18-2003, 03:50 PM
anyone have any funny scenario's for a screen test they could throw up throw up? :lightbulb

modernhorse
12-18-2003, 04:06 PM
they could throw up throw up?

Well speaking of ... Schlitzy could throw up from too much beer at the screen test. Ewwwww .

thekamps
12-18-2003, 05:21 PM
Feel free to use any of them or feel free to just laugh at me;)

1.speaking with hiccups or slurring
2.insulting the writers in some way
3.insinuating sleeping "around" beauty
4.swinging pick-axe drunkily, cursing
5.singing high-ho drunk
6.trying to explain sleeping beauty is just sleeping it off
7.arguing why can't he read for prince bloody charming
8.hitting on Snow White (or just the microphone on stand)
9.reading lines as Peter from Peter Pan
10.asking if anyone has seen his other slipper
11.AA introduction at the mic
12.facial gestures of "going to be sick"
13.Bud Lite's "I Love You Man!"
14.checking mic...burbing into
15.spilling beer and then sipping the floor ala Homer Simpson
16.telling bad joke
17.insulting others in the Audition line
18.(cont.) joking on Dopey's elephant ears...how he could fly - how disney came up with Dumbo?
19.speaking drunk nonsense, cursing, gesturing
20.beer hat and big #1 finger
21.falling asleep, snoring, dropping to the floor
22. I'm not drunk, I'm just drawn that way
23. High- ho high-oh sh*****t
yadda yadda yadda

dagooos
12-18-2003, 05:56 PM
Holy cow, Kamps

some great ideas

Thank you!

odinseye2k
12-18-2003, 07:25 PM
You forgot drunking watching of the football (American or euro, your choice), maybe with money on the line?

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.