PDA

View Full Version : flame on linux

hardimage
12-07-2003, 01:56 PM
does anyone know when it will be so far?
smoke6 is already, can't be that hard to port flame (maybe it's a financial strategy though not yet to)

it would be very nice to see it on linux or toxik resurrection or something.

parallax
12-29-2003, 01:28 PM
Flame is a hardware solution only, as far as i know

hardimage
12-30-2003, 03:33 PM
i recently could test lustre (previously colorfront) on pc. and it really felt like flame and was really fast. - i think in the end its just a matter of decision at discreet if they want to port ffi to pc/ linux or not... (smoke6 is on linux too)

i would welcome it so much as many other compositors as well, for sure.

dg
12-30-2003, 04:17 PM
Well as you said Lustre was the Colosus from 5D, all that we need to do is wait to see 5D technology popup in their products, but 5D has proved to everyone that is possible to do a powerful system based in Intel/ Win plataform without a million bucks piece of hardware.

But I doubt that discreet will release something like Flame to the Intel plataform so soon for mercadological reasons, but it might be possible.

But a revanped combustion with some Cyborg in it wouldn't be bad at all :)

Happy New Year everyone!

See you all in 2004!

beaker
01-02-2004, 02:12 AM
The thing is the system will cost the same no matter if it runs on SGI, Mac, linux, etc... Smoke on linux is the same price as smoke on SGI. A huge amount of costs are in the software, along with the hardware. If your spending 250,000 on a Flame, its not that big of a deal what hardware it runs on as long as it is stable/fast. Just look at Avid DS, Lustre, which run on intel, etc... all are still in the 100k+ price range. They cost the same as SGI solutions.

Alot of the issues right now of getting linux running as a turnkey compositor or editor is that there is alot of work that still needs to be done on drivers for highend capture devices and other highend devices. Discreet will probably have to do alot of modification to linux in order to get everthing to work together smoothly. The new 2.6 kernel definatly helps alot with this, but there is still a lot of work to be done.

Oh and for everyone who has hope about 5d technology making it into current products, I wouldn't get your hopes up. Discreet made it pretty clear that they were putting cyborg and commander in a deep grave, never to be looked at again. Many of the cyborg features were allready copied by discreet in the latest versions of FFI before they even bought 5-d's assets.

hardimage
01-02-2004, 02:48 PM
yes... and since smoke6 is there, flame can't be so far away. - otherwise i see no real logic in discreet anymore. they can keep their prices as they are, just please port it. and it was already sad that they also didn't introduce toxik (strata/mezzo) when 5d went to die.

Thorlyn
01-14-2004, 07:46 PM
I think discreet will have to move to linux, unless they want to go windows (i hope not). SGI is a dieing company. The R series processors wont see another version. Irix is no longer in development. I doubt there will even be another SGI workstation. (my source for this is my father, who worked for SGI as an irix kernel developer until he went back to Cray.)

So they have to move to linux if they want a computer to run thier software. But there are many hurdles that have to be jumped for that to work. PC's are faster than ever and getting faster every day. But there are still alot of bottlenecks. The Opteron has seemed to fixed some of those. But they still have a way to go to get it to run Flame respectably.

my conclusion, its only a matter of time.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.