PDA

View Full Version : Quadro 4000 is it worth $1000or stick with 480GTX

gretone
11-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Hi guys i hope u can help me with this.

Sorry for my English guys its not my main language.
Main programs i use Mudbox /Maya.
I have a client that i make for him very high detail models (jewelry) i cant use any kind of bump map because he prints the models out with a 3d printer very high res printer for casting/molding gold and silver and my computer cant keep up. I have a CPU Q6600 2.4 GHz
8 GB DDR2 of ram and GTX 480 on Asus Striker 2 Formula Motherboard its and old PC i know but it was good till now.The card can take with Maya 2013 viewport 2.0 5 million polys at a 24 frame rate of course this is if u just move the camera around but if u select something it just stuck for a few seconds (depends on the poly count) Don't even ask about default Viewport its bad for the same model it gives 0.1 frame rate its useless . I cant change the whole PC now but i can change the Gpu i thoat about the Quadro 4000 its not that expensive and the client wants to pay for it of course in exchange of bunch of models because i cant afforded now. My question is it worth to buy a the Quadro it will make big change with this old system.

I made a research and i found that the ati V7900 is beter then the Nvidia Quadro 4000 in Maya and Mudbox much higher frame rate .
If i buy ati card can i ad it with the geforce card.
With the nvidia i can use both (not sli).

By the way guys the 3d printer is amazing its so cool that u can see Ur work and touch it its very high quality and very expensive its 100,00 thousand dollars expensive.

Srek
11-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Regardless which of those graphics cards you buy, you will find that your outdated CPU is the main bottlneck.
Cheers
Björn

gretone
11-14-2012, 07:29 PM
thnks for the respond Srek
U are right the cpu is a bottleneck and the motherbord is nvidia chipset its so buggy .
But i know that maya viewport it mostly depends on the GPU .

Mainly what i need is a card that can make the viewport much faster.

ThE_JacO
11-14-2012, 10:56 PM
thnks for the respond Srek
U are right the cpu is a bottleneck and the motherbord is nvidia chipset its so buggy .
But i know that maya viewport it mostly depends on the GPU .

Mainly what i need is a card that can make the viewport much faster.
While drawing the viewport depends on the GPU, the problem you are having (selecting or changing components on a dense mesh) is 100% CPU related.

You could connect a space shuttle with an HDMI port to your PCI-E slot, and manipulating large meshes will still be inefficient due to your CPU.

gretone
11-14-2012, 11:48 PM
thnks for responding ThE_JacO

But witch card u think is best

AJ1
11-15-2012, 12:04 AM
You might want to take the $1000 and build a new system for your GTX 480.

gretone
11-15-2012, 12:24 AM
thanks for respond AJ1

I have to wait for that $1000 not enough for what i have in mind .

I have an opportunity and i have to take it just bunch of models for a card.

ThE_JacO
11-15-2012, 12:38 AM
thnks for responding ThE_JacO

But witch card u think is best
You wouldn't see much of a gain in performance moving to that quadro to begin with if it was a situation where it mattered. In the situation you describe it matters not at all, so if you're trying to fix your immediate problem find a 2nd hand i7 with a p6t or some other solid but cheap mobo and upgrade everything EXCEPT the videocard. It will more than fit in a 1k budget.

imashination
11-15-2012, 09:55 AM
thanks for respond AJ1

I have to wait for that $1000 not enough for what i have in mind .

I have an opportunity and i have to take it just bunch of models for a card.

What theyre trying to say is, dont buy any gfx card. The card you have is a good match for your current machine. If you upgrade the gfx card, almost nothing will change because the cpu cannot feed the gpu fast enough. Wait til you have more money then do the entire machine.

gretone
11-16-2012, 12:14 AM
thnks for respond imashination

I will wait til i can buy an new pc

thnks for everyone for the responds

gescom
11-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Game/Pro cards Maya 2013 Benchmark (http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/AutoDesk-Maya-2013-GPU-Acceleration-166)[/url][url="http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/AutoDesk-Maya-2013-GPU-Acceleration-166"]real world (http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/AutoDesk-Maya-2013-GPU-Acceleration-166)

I hope it helps.

tswalk
11-17-2012, 12:45 AM
Game/Pro cards Maya 2013 Benchmark (http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/AutoDesk-Maya-2013-GPU-Acceleration-166)real world (http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/AutoDesk-Maya-2013-GPU-Acceleration-166)

I hope it helps.

would have been nice to see them bench against newer nvidia professional cards instead of stuff nearly 3 years old.

sentry66
11-17-2012, 05:28 PM
all those benchmarks and not even a mention of viewport 2.0 performance?

With viewport 2.0 changing the playing field, I'm not sure any of these benchmarks are really relevant anymore.

AMD cards have long been the higher performing cards for maya's default viewport, but the FPS performance doesn't tell the whole story such as correct drawing, selection lag, ability to launch multiple instances of maya.

The AMD cards have always been hit or miss in that regard. You almost never know exactly what you're getting until it's in your machine.

CGTalk Moderation
11-17-2012, 05:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.