PDA

View Full Version : what is the best Character Animation Learning tool?

sampi
12-07-2003, 12:03 PM
hi
what is the best book or dvd for Character Animation ?
thanks

Miyazaki
12-07-2003, 01:14 PM
I don`t know what the best is, but try these links:

Book: Animators Survival Kit (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0571202284/qid=1070802253//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i0_xgl14/103-7441885-1358268?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) Simply the best animation book I`ve ever read :buttrock: :bowdown:

DVD:
http://www.jefflew.com/ :buttrock:
http://www.desktopimages.com/CharSeries.shtml 4+5 Facial and Body Animation

telamon
12-07-2003, 01:42 PM
Don't forget that Kretin will issue a book soon ;) It willl be a must IMO... :beer:

KillMe
12-07-2003, 01:50 PM
lightwave 3d 7.5 character animation by timothy ablee ispretty damned good

sebek27
12-07-2003, 02:39 PM
when is Kretin's book coming out and what is the title ?

sampi
12-07-2003, 10:20 PM
ok
thanks to all of you .
I think the http://www.desktopimages.com/CharSeries.shtml
is the best choise for me just i need your advise about that .
thanks.

PauHana
12-07-2003, 11:14 PM
If you've never animated, don't start with those dvd's. Learn the principles first. It also depends on how serious you're going to be about character animation. Is it a career choice? I've never seen animation done by people that skip the basics that has been impressive. The skills you build while working through the simple stuff translates through to characters and makes the animation solid. After you've done your ball, whip type exercises you can move on to books like: Preston Blair, Tony White, Animation Survival Kit, Illusion of Life, Timing for Animation. All of these help a lot, but practice and observation are the most important. One person I tried to teach animation to a while ago did 1 ball exercise, 1 whip exercise, and 1 walk cycle and then ran around calling himself an animator...garbage. Needless to say, he doesn't even animate anymore. Best of luck and I hope you have a lot of fun animating!

Peace

peanut
12-08-2003, 03:17 AM
will be waiting for kretin's book, wont miss it for anything

SplineGod
12-08-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by sampi
ok
thanks to all of you .
I think the http://www.desktopimages.com/CharSeries.shtml
is the best choise for me just i need your advise about that .
thanks.
My Professional Character Series covers all aspects of character modeling, texturing, rigging and animation in more depth then anything else for Lightwave. The CD portion fo the course has over 60 hours of quicktime movies plus I provide unlimted online support. Im running some specials that you might be interested in HERE (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/professionalcharacterseries.html)

LittleFenris
12-08-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by SplineGod
My Professional Character Series covers all aspects of character modeling, texturing, rigging and animation in more depth then anything else for Lightwave. The CD portion fo the course has over 60 hours of quicktime movies plus I provide unlimted online support. Im running some specials that you might be interested in HERE (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/professionalcharacterseries.html)

60 hours is a lot of info and I'm sure a great resource, but holy crap!! 60 hours is 7.5 days of watching CDs on your computer for 8 hours a day. :eek: I hope you are entertaining to watch/listen to for that long. :)

SplineGod
12-09-2003, 05:38 AM
60 hrs SEEMS like a lot. Anybody who would sit and watch them straight deserves a prize. Most people work thru the lessons at their own pace and then post up their WIPs to be critiqued or to get help with. The courses are self paced. I dont force anyone start or stop at any particular time. Luckily nobody has to watch anything but the LW screen. Listening to me...thats another matter. Best to take frequent breaks. Luckily I break up the lectures into 20 minute segments. :)

jmcalpin
12-09-2003, 06:18 AM
I've been doing the character series and I've been doing it on and off for the past several months.

Each lesson is about 15-20 minutes. with 30 or so lessons that about, what , 20 minutes a day over a month. Not as bad as it sounds. Although I have done 2-3 lessons in a day.

I've yet to sit through any lesson by any of the authors, I have most of them from tape to DVD and they all will send you into slumberland if you watch more than an hour at a time. Well I do anyway. :) well, unless it's done by Gary Spalding.

Jay

Tudor
12-09-2003, 08:38 AM
This was a very good post.
I agree totally. Know your basics. The basics are there in all animation in one form or another.
Learning character animation has nothing to do with any other part of 3d. Knowing how to rig or model doesn't add anything. It is like starting over from scratch.

I wish you the best of luck animating. It is possibly one of the best feelings ever when you produce a really great animation :)

Originally posted by PauHana
If you've never animated, don't start with those dvd's. Learn the principles first. It also depends on how serious you're going to be about character animation. Is it a career choice? I've never seen animation done by people that skip the basics that has been impressive. The skills you build while working through the simple stuff translates through to characters and makes the animation solid. After you've done your ball, whip type exercises you can move on to books like: Preston Blair, Tony White, Animation Survival Kit, Illusion of Life, Timing for Animation. All of these help a lot, but practice and observation are the most important. One person I tried to teach animation to a while ago did 1 ball exercise, 1 whip exercise, and 1 walk cycle and then ran around calling himself an animator...garbage. Needless to say, he doesn't even animate anymore. Best of luck and I hope you have a lot of fun animating!

Peace

LittleFenris
12-09-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by jmcalpin
I've yet to sit through any lesson by any of the authors, I have most of them from tape to DVD and they all will send you into slumberland if you watch more than an hour at a time. Well I do anyway. :)
Jay

I do to. I have a bunch of Dan Ablans videos, Todd Grimes DVDs and various other free online tutorials and they are all great, but I can't watch more than an hour of the stuff w/o getting bored (while learning a lot at the same time mind you). I need to watch some of SplineGods tutorials that I have downloaded to see if maybe his character series is something that might help my workflow out. :wip: Luckily my work bought me the Dan Ablan VHS tapes years ago...not sure if they'll spring for another $600 worth of videos.

SplineGod
12-09-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by VWTornado
I do to. I have a bunch of Dan Ablans videos, Todd Grimes DVDs and various other free online tutorials and they are all great, but I can't watch more than an hour of the stuff w/o getting bored (while learning a lot at the same time mind you). I need to watch some of SplineGods tutorials that I have downloaded to see if maybe his character series is something that might help my workflow out. :wip: Luckily my work bought me the Dan Ablan VHS tapes years ago...not sure if they'll spring for another $600 worth of videos.

I can definately guarentee you that my course would greatly improve your workflow. Heres a review Kevin Phillips posted awhile ago about the course:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82764

sampi
12-09-2003, 08:11 PM
thanks
i ordered 2 books from amazon Animators Survival Kit and The Art of 3-D Computer Animation and Effects.
this my 2nd year with lightwave (self teaching) i did alot of tutorials about animaition and riging but still feel weakness with character animaition .
I hope those books help so .
Larry Shultz
my CC not working with paypal system .
what about using the same system as simplylightwave.com .
i found that pretty good .
thanks

SplineGod
12-09-2003, 08:54 PM
Hey Sampi,
Ill check that out, thanks!

sampi
12-10-2003, 11:12 AM
realy good to hear that .
i hope to get into those courses .
after reading the reviews and those gallerys realy I hope to chang that old payment system .
I'm waiting to hear that from u soon :rolleyes:

wgreenlee1
12-10-2003, 11:16 AM
:rolleyes:

Insider
12-11-2003, 05:50 AM
I think this is one of the best Character DVD's you can buy:
Jeff Lew (http://jefflew.com/)

It's not LightWave specific, but is easy to follow, great examples, and shows all the necessary principles.

Actually, it's not software specific at all. Great video at a good price.

sampi
12-11-2003, 08:32 AM
Thanks .
what about your Character Builder dvd's ?

Sil3
12-11-2003, 09:06 AM
Joe Cosman is also gonna release Animation Exercises on avi tutīs, cant know for sure when they will be out, but they must be coming out pretty soon.

Thalaxis
12-11-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Sil3
Joe Cosman is also gonna release Animation Exercises on avi tutīs, cant know for sure when they will be out, but they must be coming out pretty soon.

Cool! His Messiah rigging vids are rather good, so I would expect
that his animation stuff will also be quite good :)

hrgiger
12-11-2003, 03:52 PM
Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting Jeff Lew's DVD.

kurv
12-11-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by sebek27
when is Kretin's book coming out and what is the title ?

Well that depends on LW8, Kreten has a lot of the book completed, but there are sections that we are waiting on for 8 issues :)

I will set up a pre order site for this and the lighting book today if I can. Thanks!!

Here are some great videos I have seen...

Larry Shultz - have it :) *****
Todd Grimes (DI) - have it :) *****
Carnera 3D - saw it :) **** (very fast, not for intro)
3D Garage - don’t have, but heard good things
Class on Demand - don’t have, but heard good things

Insider
12-11-2003, 04:35 PM
Thanks -

the Jeff Lew stuff is good because it covers all the general basics. Watching this DVD kind of gets you excited to try it out in LightWave.

From there, pick out some LW specific training to set up rigs, keyframes, etc.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.