PDA

View Full Version : Chris Solarski :: Artist Profile

PaulHellard
11-14-2012, 03:27 AM
Hey there,

Have a read of the ideas of Chris Solarski, the SCEE character and environment artist and video game producer with deeply held thoughts on the creative roots of video game story telling. Digging back into the fundamentals of classical art is the way to create the best high end digital assets for telling visual stories.

Click, read, comment, Like.

http://www.cgsociety.org/static/images/feature/solarski_fp.jpg (http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/chris_solarski)

vfx
11-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Its fascinating seeing the world of gaming through the eyes of Chris, he certainly approaches things differently and in an age where we are churning out C.O.D. 25 its good to see some are exploring different avenues. Double props because Chris was a colleague at University so congratulations on your success. :)

RobertoOrtiz
11-14-2012, 04:54 PM
I have his book.
It should be required reading for any Cg artist.

leif3d
11-14-2012, 05:20 PM
It's always good to read up on someone else's prespective (no pun intended) on the connection between traditional techniques and modern technology.

Just bought the book, thanks.

Mr Whippy
11-16-2012, 12:03 PM
That is what is so great about this art form. I don't see it as a progression, it's just new.

It encompasses so many artistic and creative disciplines. In the end they are all just passionate artists using computers to make nice pieces of art work in one way or another.

If computers disappeared tomorrow they'd be out there making sculptures, matte paintings, or whatever else, for feature films or books.

Not sure what my point is really, I just felt that in the article Chris alluded to no one having made this connection before, while in-fact it's been evident and practised since CG began.

It seemed only in the mid to late 90's that CG specific courses arrived and allowed you to skip the "computer geek" or "fine artist" entry points, and enter into the industry a little differently.

But that is a great thing. How many great people didn't know what they wanted to be but just saw fantastic artwork in use in CG, and as they found their way in they found what they really wanted to focus on and then followed that path!

There was a time when I looked at the CG courses as odd because they avoided the fundamentals which I knew were important.

But as the disciplines of CG grow further and further over these last 5 years I believe CG courses are a great way in if you are not sure exactly what you want to do. You can then get a feel for things and decide what you really want to do within that vast range of creative and artistic disciplines!

Obviously it has worked fantastically well for Chris any way.

A bad thing he didn't study Fine Art from the beginning, or a good thing that he discovered his passion for it by following what might have seemed to be the wrong route?

A great write up! Just goes to show there is no right or wrong, just do what you love and work hard and it should work out :)

Dave

Mr Whippy
11-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Grrr, that game on his website is addictive too :D

Kanga
11-18-2012, 08:02 AM
Great article!
We knew it would be :)

CGTalk Moderation
11-18-2012, 08:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.