PDA

View Full Version : Errors with Maya Vray domeHDRI plus Vray Sun?

JBeezy
11-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Hi guys,

Im trying to do exterior lighting for a character using maya vray dome hdri plus vray sun without vray sky. Ive been trying to follow all these 3DS tuts cause there are none with maya and it seems very straight forward but just isnt working for me...

I am using Maya 2011 with Vray 2.00.04. I have a physical camera with vray sun with a dome light and a HDRI plugged in as a texture and im PRETTY sure im using linear workflow lol.

When i render its like the HDRI gets turned off and I just get the vray sun lighting (black background with orangey lighting). And when i turn off the exposure in the physical cam then everything gets blown out and when i delete the sun completely then the HDRI works fine but if i have exposure turned on in my phys cam then the image is straight black.

I tried lowering the sun intensity drastically and the whitebalance too but nothing is working. Vray sun with sky works just fine but id like to use an HDRI instead of the sky to get a better result. I hope this makes sense and please if you have any idea at all then lemme hear it! Thank you.

Panupat
11-13-2012, 01:54 AM
Mine is working fine. What I did

- add dome light, add HDRI
- add sun, set intensity to 0.03 (if you're not using physical camera)
- you can add only the sun without sky.

If you use physical camera you can leave sun's intensity at 1 and instead bump up dome light intensity. A lot. The sun is like 100x brighter than dome light by default. The dome light won't be very noticeable where the sun hit, you have to look in the shadow area.

JBeezy
11-13-2012, 03:48 AM
Mine is working fine. What I did

- add dome light, add HDRI
- add sun, set intensity to 0.03 (if you're not using physical camera)
- you can add only the sun without sky.

If you use physical camera you can leave sun's intensity at 1 and instead bump up dome light intensity. A lot. The sun is like 100x brighter than dome light by default. The dome light won't be very noticeable where the sun hit, you have to look in the shadow area.

Oh my sweet jesus you were right! Thank you so much. I had to crank the intensity up to 25,000! I never would of come up with that by myself. thanks man, really!

Panupat
11-13-2012, 05:07 AM
:O That's much higher than I anticipated. But glad it worked out.

CGTalk Moderation
11-13-2012, 05:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.