PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi Scene : ShirowProject Mission#1

softdistortion
12-07-2003, 05:19 AM
Exactly 2 months ago a post requesting a collab. on this scene was placed in the Collaborative Team Projects forum. It was answered by Tessalated (http://www.cgtalk.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=38598) One month ago. shortly after that Dodo3D (http://www.cgtalk.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=363) joined the effort.
Big thanks to you guys! Here's the result image of our first team mission for shirowproject.

http://softdistortion.com/shirowproject/ESWAT Final V1.jpg

We hope to have more on this scene coming up, and we are also starting mission#2 in January. If you would like to join in go to the Collaborative Team Projects forum

softdistortion
12-07-2003, 05:22 AM
Here's the scene reference we used. http://www.softdistortion.com/appleseed%20hoverscene.jpg
It's from Masamune Shirow's Appleseed Book#4

mathes
12-07-2003, 06:46 AM
Nice looking scene, it looks intense. My only complaints are the terrain, which seems flat, and the soldiers' shadows which are doing something funky. (this could all be part of your style though)

Is this going to be animation, or a series of stills? Either way, I look forward to seeing mission #2.

Keep it up!

gunslingerblack
12-07-2003, 09:34 AM
i noticed this a while back, way to go on the scene, i would add a few more guys jumping out of the ships and perhaps it would add something to your picture but great work all around.

teknotek83
12-07-2003, 10:40 AM
i read your whole WIP thread. you guys sure have come a long way. if i was more 3d oriented, i would definetely contribute. great job and i hope to see some more shirow-ish work from you guys! (animation please!)

crimson13
12-07-2003, 12:03 PM
APPLESEED! APPLESEED! ;)
great work

softdistortion
12-07-2003, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the inspiring comments! The team does want to do animations too, so hopefully they will be coming up some time in future. ;)

I think I can speak for the Team when I say We are having a great time with this project.... getting to collaborate with some really GREAT people is no small part of the experience!

wgreenlee1
12-07-2003, 05:35 PM
i like it but needs more things flying around from the crash,like pieces of metal and rocks and dirt and stuff
just nit picking looks pretty good overall

softdistortion
12-07-2003, 07:32 PM
hehe.....thanks wgreenlee. The ship isn't actually crashing...it's swooping in low to start dropping troops. The comment about adding some troops jumping from the craft are right on....Hopefully we can still do that. :blush:
we may yet do some different camera angles/staging/animation.:thumbsup:

l3d_davi
12-07-2003, 08:00 PM
cool man looka reLY NICE cool !!!:applause: :thumbsup:

softdistortion
12-08-2003, 06:28 AM
Thanks l3d_davi.

Just a side-note here>....If you guys want to see more of this stuff, please keep dropping in on the Collaborative team projects forum threads and help keep the team members inspired with your comments. Otherwise these team collaboration projects sometimes seem to spontaneously disintegrate before producing much of anything.... without your encouraging feedback. :thumbsup:

Wiro
12-08-2003, 04:55 PM
Very cool result from your collab, softdistortion. There is a definate likeness between the reference art and yours.

Some things I think you could improve upon:

Less colourful colourscheme. As a chaotic military manouver I think it would be more dramatic with a grey dustcloud as a background instead of the pristine blue. Maybe also desaturate the sand and soldier's a bit?

More crowded composition. The original image isnt as wide and packs the action into a smaller space, making it look busier. If you want to keep the current aspect ratio, try to bring the characters forward to fill in the large open space above them. Also fill the open space in the lower right corner.
Add more soldiers! :)

Less blur. At least keep the centers of attention focused, like the right soldier and the main dropship.

More smoke and fog. It would look cool if you added some around the soldier's legs.

more dynamic poses. The soldiers seem a little stiff and off balance. The original has them crouched down much lower and feel well planted on the ground.

Overall nice work though!

Wiro

softdistortion
12-08-2003, 08:49 PM
Thanks Wiro. I can see some of your points as valid. We are shooting for a stylized look right now, but we Will try to add some of your suggestions!

dodo3d
12-10-2003, 03:28 AM
:buttrock:
wow nice comments we have here , first I want to thank softdistortion for the idea of the shirwo project and for his effort for keeping the project in the right way ... and as softdistortion said we as a team welcome any new member to join the project cause I dream of making a full series for shirwo in 3d (I think it will rule) ,sure it'll need more team member to join and sure softdistortion will not object that ....

any way I like the comments from Wiro :bowdown: and I think it need to be taking in care from us

and thx for all the comments from other ppl and for the inspiring

softdistortion
12-10-2003, 06:48 AM
Yeah Dodo3D the comments we got are definitely appreciated!

Maybe It's just me, but I still like the first render the most . I know there are more ESWAT troops in the Shirow panel we were emulating, but still. I like something about the sparse scene. Blur and all :p
Here's the revised version thread link (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108509)

Serve and Protect the Collaborative CG Community....or die trying :thumbsup:

dodo3d
12-10-2003, 07:17 AM
Ok softdistortion I also like it ... I'll wait to see the animation tet to give my final opinion ;)

Good luck for us any way :beer:

yangmiemie
12-10-2003, 09:31 AM
:beer:
I hope I can see final animation......:love:

softdistortion
12-10-2003, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the enthusiasm over the animation.... We're working on it...honest

Mindkontrol
12-10-2003, 04:28 PM
Mad props to you fellas and fellettes...Appleseed has got t0 be one of my all time favorite comics! Great work on the render there, tho i must say the Motion Blur might be just a tad outta hand...Excited to see some more renders from this projekt!:bounce:

softdistortion
12-11-2003, 02:00 AM
Oh veh...wit de blur>:beer:
If I recoupe some enthusiasm and motivation, or there is some real demand, I will get back to that scene and re do it again with no blur at all!....well maybe just a bit..:shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.