PDA

View Full Version : Download Houdini Apprentice Program 4 free (sidefx.com)

FUG1T1VE
12-07-2003, 03:41 AM
"To introduce 3D artists from around the world to Houdini, Side Effects Software Inc. is proud to bring you the Houdini Apprentice program, which gives you access to the same creative power used by the best animation professionals in the industry such as Electronic Arts, Sony Pictures Imageworks and Disney Feature Animation.................so you can develop real projects then render with unobtrusive watermarks"

:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

http://www.sidefx.com/

Edit: 6.1

ambient-whisper
12-07-2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by NAKO
"To introduce 3D artists from around the world to Houdini, Side Effects Software Inc. is proud to bring you the Houdini Apprentice program, which gives you access to the same creative power used by the best animation professionals in the industry such as Electronic Arts, Sony Pictures Imageworks and Disney Feature Animation.................so you can develop real projects then render with unobtrusive watermarks"

:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

http://www.sidefx.com/

yeah, its an awesome program but its kind of old news ;)

MCronin
12-07-2003, 04:42 AM
What is new is this is 6.1 final. 6.1 has been beta for quite a while now, but this is their final release version and it includes a bunch of great new features and training material.

ambient-whisper
12-07-2003, 04:43 AM
they updated the training material? whats new?

MCronin
12-07-2003, 04:44 AM
Yeah, check the online help. Lot's of new stuff in there. Not videos, tutorials that use their new help browser. Open the help browser in Houdini and go to the user guide. No more playing with tools trying to guess how they work, they actually tell you how they work :p

ambient-whisper
12-07-2003, 05:11 AM
cool. yeah ive noticed the help browser while using the beta, it was good stuff :) getting better all the time.

personally i want to see more stuff on rigging. its the main area im interested in houdini for. to me its the perfect environment for rigging, since you see exactly whats connected to what at all times, and its really easy to reference things. ( not to mention their expression cookbook is well written and easy to understand )

FUG1T1VE
12-07-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by MCronin
What is new is this is 6.1 final. This is what I meant when I posted the link but was too sleepy to notice I didnt not include it, :shrug: now that Im awake its on the front page of cgnetworks.com
I havent used previous version, since I was waiting for this one :thumbsup:

FootFace
12-09-2003, 01:02 AM
This program boggles my mind. I tried the apprentance program earlier this year and I couldn't even make simple geometry. But I've heard nothing but good about it, and the demo reel is impressive!

arctor
12-09-2003, 01:21 AM
ambient-whisper > get in there and start rigging :)...if you have any questions head over to www.odforce.net and ask - there are lots of top notch people there and the developers read the forums all the time and are super helpful

ambient-whisper
12-09-2003, 01:22 AM
This program boggles my mind. I tried the apprentance program earlier this year and I couldn't even make simple geometry. But I've heard nothing but good about it, and the demo reel is impressive!

its not so bad.
what you must understand is that everything starts within the geometry mode. once you place a "container" called "geo" in the geometry mode, you can then go into the sub-object mode (SOP )to actually make the model. what you do is delete the default node you see there as its just a stand-in. then you can make a cube/sphere/whatever. and use tab to add operators to the outputs of the original node ( you can use right click on the output to make it easier if you want. or middle click if you want to add between nodes. )

its not hard once you grasp the ideas behind it.

Gwot
12-09-2003, 01:49 AM
I couldn't pass this program up any longer. I tried it several months back as well but just didn't have the time nor patience to add it to my "stuff to learn" list. I've been watching some of the videos posted on sidefx' site though and I must say it's high time to hunker down with it now. =]

I'm looking at it more as a long term thing as my time is still somewhat limited - might as well start now. From what I've seen the character tools are very powerful. Some interesting UV stuff I don't think I've seen in other software as well. I've been wanting to try something like the UV Pelt tool and cut lines on geometry for awhile. Anyone have experience with this?

MCronin
12-09-2003, 02:50 AM
Yeah, the UV pelt tool is excellent. I put this page up to help explain it to someone on odforce a while back, and there's more info in this thread on CGTalk with illustrations.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mdcronin1/UVPelt/index.htm

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87076&highlight=pelt

The tool has had some significant changes since this stuff was posted but the changes are superficial and the functionality is still the same. There's also a tutorial in the new user guide that I haven't looked at yet.

Gwot
12-09-2003, 05:48 AM
Thanks MCronin! Thats exactly what I was looking for. Bookmarked oddforce too, thx for that arctor.

dantea
12-10-2003, 08:45 AM
I'd say to go straight to the user guide first as that seems the have the latest info on how to use the tool.

katakana
12-10-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by FootFace

You prolly already know this but 3dbuzz.com has close to 8hours of free training videos to help you get started.

Im positive that MCronin knows.

MCronin
12-10-2003, 07:21 PM
I think Buzz has gone well over 8 hours of video now. He's got the class going and has posted a bunch of new videos for the second module on a bunch of advanced topics that look very interesting. You have to participate in the class to access the new material though, so go sign up.

Between

the help browser in Houdini,
the class and videos at www.3dbuzz.com
and the SideFx videos at http://www.vislab.usyd.edu.au/sidefx/houdini_video/

you should have no problem learning the software.

The 5.5 videos at Vislab are still applicable to 6.1 so be sure to watch them. I'd recommend looking at Buzz's module 1 videos first, though, because he does a particularly good job of explaining the software to new users.

Good luck

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.