PDA

View Full Version : Lighting or Shading problem? = Weird

evavfx
11-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Hey guys

I am lighting Jeremy Birn's cabin challenge scene. I've used 2 area lights one point outwards and one pointing inwards for bounce light.

Has anybody seen this before? It's some really weird artifact or just plain weird thing going on the windows here. I really cannot solve the problem.

musashidan
11-11-2012, 10:21 AM
I assume you're using Vray. Enable sub-pixel mapping in the colour mapping roll-out.

If using Mentalray play with the min/max sampling settings and lower the AA-contrast. Also, you could try different AA filters. Start with mitchell-netravali.

evavfx
11-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Sorry I should have mentioned that I am using Mental Ray and my global settings right now are

Raytracing only at this point (no FG or GI or AO)

It's on Max sample Level 1

Anti-aliasing contrast: 0.100

Filter: Mitchell
filter size: 4.00 4.00

Ray tracing:

I played around with the filter size, it's definitely related to that. I set it to 1.00 1.00 and it's far better to not visible anymore. Thank you

However I am not sure what else it might affect :s

musashidan
11-11-2012, 12:38 PM
However I am not sure what else it might affect :s

In relation to what?

CHRiTTeR
11-11-2012, 02:09 PM
It's on Max sample Level 1

im not a mental ray guy, but thats quite low
Set it to at least 16 to get good quality

evavfx
11-11-2012, 02:22 PM
I bumped it up to level 2 (16 samples) and it's still there.

However if the filter is set to 1.00 1.00, at a distance my overall render looks too sharp for my liking.

not sure, but I started to relight my scene again. Thank you for your help people.

musashidan
11-11-2012, 02:32 PM
If your render is too sharp than change your aa filter. Or increase the blur in mitchell filter. Also, enable final gather. Using only direct light will result in a highly contrasted render which will affect how the image sampler does its job.

CGTalk Moderation
11-11-2012, 02:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.