PDA

View Full Version : best *nix distro to run maya, nuke and houdini?

DEVILSAN
11-10-2012, 06:27 AM
Hello friends,
I am a freelancer and want to install a linux OS on one of my intel based machine, can anyone tell me what distro should I pick onto what I can get maximum compatibility with Maya, Nuke and Houdini ? what i want if anything goes wrong their is easy to fix solution on the web ...

cgbeige
11-10-2012, 03:37 PM
I use CentOS 6.3 because it requires little-to-no additional dependency installation for Maya support out of the box. Houdini and Nuke run with no additional installation as well. Don't get Ubuntu - it's a lot more of a pain in the ass to set up for Maya

AJ1
11-10-2012, 05:12 PM
This thread has some good info:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=1079174

I use Fedora 16 and KDE for Maya, but I think Houdini was built on a debian-based system.

Autodesk only supports their wares on RedHat/Fedora, but Maya should work fine on any .rpm based setup like SUSE. You can get it going on a debian-based system as well, but its sketchier.

Its a lot of work to get it going, but if you use a SSD, the performance enhancements are worth it. Make sure to keep your windows installation though.

Its tough to give an exact answer. Just start downloading distros and testing them out. I tired OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, and CentOS before I settled on Fedora.

-AJ

olson
11-11-2012, 05:26 AM
If you weren't using Maya I'd say go for an LTS release of Ubuntu like 12.04 LTS which is one of the best overall Linux distributions to date for a lot of reasons. Though Maya is built stupidly and takes fiddling to get it to work on Ubuntu or any Debian based distribution (are you listening Autodesk? That's lame, super lame). In my experience pretty much everything else works on any Linux distribution without any hassle. Autodesk recommends Fedora 14 or RHEL 6.2 for Maya 2013. I wouldn't recommend an old version of Fedora because the repositories with all the updates are no longer online. That leaves RHEL (and CentOS) which neither are great options for most users. RHEL is expensive relatively speaking and CentOS has had deep rooted management issues and is usually not punctual with updates and releases. :shrug:

DEVILSAN
11-24-2012, 05:15 PM
I got fedora 14 up now , since its the version maya supports, how do I install a file with tgz extension , its like a zupped file in windows though, i found default installer is rpm but this is tgz ..

can anyone point me to the way how to install tgz extension file...

AJ1
11-24-2012, 10:36 PM
the .rpms are in the .tgz.

http://www.delphifaq.com/faq/f1067.shtml

DEVILSAN
11-25-2012, 03:44 AM
so zip is default for windows ...

AJ1
11-25-2012, 03:53 AM
Zip is an open standard that's used by almost everyone.

(sorry to derail the thread about Linux)

MBeckUK
11-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Devilsan,

As others have said, a TGZ is a zipped up TAR file and is effectively the same as a Windows ZIP file.

Good luck with the Linux install - if you have problems with that, our work uses CentOS and finds that it runs most things pretty well.

DEVILSAN
11-29-2012, 07:14 AM
Devilsan,

As others have said, a TGZ is a zipped up TAR file and is effectively the same as a Windows ZIP file.

Good luck with the Linux install - if you have problems with that, our work uses CentOS and finds that it runs most things pretty well.
yes you are right, I downloaded 2 DVD x64 - Cent OS recently and I will install it. :cool:

CGTalk Moderation
11-29-2012, 07:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.