PDA

View Full Version : Random models for maps

Jabo
12-06-2003, 09:10 PM
Hi there. Here's just some stuff to show off and get some critiques for. I made those meshes that are meant to be placed in some UT2k3 mod maps in a period of about 2-3 weeks. Basic stuff, I guess, but tell me what you think:

http://www.drain5.com/pics/3drenders/meshes01.jpg

Beaneh
12-06-2003, 09:59 PM
very nice stuff, especially like the first one :)

Beaneh
12-06-2003, 10:01 PM
nice models, I specially like the first one :)

Layer01
12-06-2003, 11:45 PM
wow that is some seriously awesome stuff you got there. i love the first one and those last ones very nice stuff :)

Matt
12-07-2003, 05:38 AM
The machine does look cool. I'd like to see that textured, and maybe the tires/tarp textured. :)

RmachucaA
12-07-2003, 04:11 PM
and remember its always better to triangulate manualy your n-sided polys, otherwise it may have some shading issues.

GavinG
12-07-2003, 06:07 PM
Very Nice models, for the door you may be able to save a few polys by making the broken glass a transparency map (if that works in game engines, pardon my low experience)

Gav

Jabo
12-07-2003, 06:20 PM
Thanks, mates.

RmachucaA: I tend to avoid polys with more than 4 vertices, but in some cases, I have to triangulate, yeah. Prob is I can't handle the Editable Mesh, I only work with Editable Polys usually. Thanks for pointing that out, might get somewhat problematic with the crane (first mesh)... Especially considering the vertex lighting issue in the new Uengine build.

Gavin: Yes, that would work. But it would be 10 times more effort aswell. So I'll keep the polys up, which isn't a problem with the new engine. That will help out with the vertex lighting, again. But yes, it would be feasible.

Multimediaman
12-08-2003, 03:21 AM
so far the stuff looks pretty great... though you might want to consider reducing the number of faces on that tarp... I mean, you could technically be able to include the extra detail created by the faces in the map... the sides of something like that are the only thing that really need many faces, and from there it can diminish... that could possibly reduce about 80 or so faces from the tarp... but then again, games are always increasing in their capacity to handle large face/vert counts, so it's also possible you're within your face budget, so I'd just be rambling :p

anyway, keep up the good work

DreiGrasheir
12-08-2003, 06:07 AM
thats some pretty cool stuff youve made there. Been a while since i made level geometry, and i guess i kinda forgot how cool some stuff can look in comparison to characters all the time. only suggestion is on the glass on the door... that type of heavy duty door seems the type that woud have that wire mesh inside the glass to prevent shattering. clearly a texture thing, but i think it would add a lot to it.

Jabo
12-08-2003, 06:25 PM
mmman: Ah, sorry, someone else told me about the "tarp", but I didn't know the right word so I just thought he meant the tyres :P

Yes, that's right, the tarp is too hi-poly. I've put it on the tyres to make the render more interesting, and I have a version of it now that only has half of the faces. Right, sorry.

grasheir: The door window is temp atm. I've just thrown a reflection bitmap on it so it looks more like glass (didn't work, huh?). Yes, it will have some kind of security glass later on. As it's for ut2k3 maps, the doors won't be triggered, they're just deco. I thought about those doors being at the outer rims of the level and there's a glance of a room behind them so the map doesn't look to shut down at the end.

Again, thanks for your comments. I'll put more mesh renders here when I find the time. Gotta texture that crane-beast some time :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.